Disney hasn't lost its magic, but this forum has

Status
Not open for further replies.

GVentola

Original Poster
Even on the most innocent subjects, somebody starts an argument. They are trying to prove themselves more holy or politically correct than the other person, or trying to accuse that person of being prejudiced, homophobic, or rude to nursing mothers. I come here to share my opinions on all things WDW and read other's opinions on all things WDW, or share my experience with newbies who have questions about the park. I was even able to help a guy from England planning a trip by collecting the official guide maps of the local theme parks and mailing them to him. That felt good, to be able to help like that and share the magic. But this forum is not safe. On some forums, there is a moderator who makes sure to nip fights in the bud and discourage people from attacking others. I wish this forum was like that. It was a place to spend some time when I was bored and had nothing else to do, but now I think I'll let myself get bored rather than participate anymore.

There was a fun thread recently on strange things that happened in attraction queues that got hijacked by people getting mad and holier-than-thou at a person who didn't like the site of uncovered breast feeding in public. It's not exactly as though he/she said they accost such people and harrass them, they just didn't like it. I didn't post anything on the subject there, and some posters are requesting the thread go back to its original purpose, so I am posting here instead of there. Breastfeeding makes me feel creepy crawly, too. But I would never stare and never go up to the woman and ask her to stop. But even though I didn't remark about it on that thread, I felt like people were personally attacking me, because I don't find uncovered breastfeeding appealing. I must be some kind of monster, even though I give the widow down the street fifty dollars every month, like to greet strangers with a friendly "hello", give to homeless people at intersections, and avoid profanity. I try really hard to live by the words of Jesus and Saint Paul. But because I'm not into uncovered breastfeeding, I am evil and deserve to be chewed out by every other poster on this forum, who are all so much holier than me or the person who left the original message about not liking uncovered breastfeeding.

Say what you want, make me a running joke like Katiebug. Because I am leaving this forum, deleting my bookmark to it, and not reading any e-mails from threads I watched.

Minnie Mum

Well, if you feel attacked because someone else is criticized for holding the same views (no matter how outmoded), then perjphaps this forum isn't for you. If you feel that someone expressing an opinion contrary to your own can only be seen as negative, then perhaps this forum isn't for you. But if you think for one second that this forum is undermoderated, or negative, all I can say is you must not visit at lot of different forums. This site is positively angelic by comparison.

TwilightZone

Stick to Disboards if you want a positive Disney fansite. Also the site is not all negative, but it's very critical.
Not to be rude, but any website recs probably won't work well because, assuming by this post, GVentola is probably not reading any of the comments we are posting right now. Same goes for any other message we have for GVentola.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Even on the most innocent subjects, somebody starts an argument. They are trying to prove themselves more holy or politically correct than the other person, or trying to accuse that person of being prejudiced, homophobic, or rude to nursing mothers. I come here to share my opinions on all things WDW and read other's opinions on all things WDW, or share my experience with newbies who have questions about the park. I was even able to help a guy from England planning a trip by collecting the official guide maps of the local theme parks and mailing them to him. That felt good, to be able to help like that and share the magic. But this forum is not safe. On some forums, there is a moderator who makes sure to nip fights in the bud and discourage people from attacking others. I wish this forum was like that. It was a place to spend some time when I was bored and had nothing else to do, but now I think I'll let myself get bored rather than participate anymore.

There was a fun thread recently on strange things that happened in attraction queues that got hijacked by people getting mad and holier-than-thou at a person who didn't like the site of uncovered breast feeding in public. It's not exactly as though he/she said they accost such people and harrass them, they just didn't like it. I didn't post anything on the subject there, and some posters are requesting the thread go back to its original purpose, so I am posting here instead of there. Breastfeeding makes me feel creepy crawly, too. But I would never stare and never go up to the woman and ask her to stop. But even though I didn't remark about it on that thread, I felt like people were personally attacking me, because I don't find uncovered breastfeeding appealing. I must be some kind of monster, even though I give the widow down the street fifty dollars every month, like to greet strangers with a friendly "hello", give to homeless people at intersections, and avoid profanity. I try really hard to live by the words of Jesus and Saint Paul. But because I'm not into uncovered breastfeeding, I am evil and deserve to be chewed out by every other poster on this forum, who are all so much holier than me or the person who left the original message about not liking uncovered breastfeeding.

Say what you want, make me a running joke like Katiebug. Because I am leaving this forum, deleting my bookmark to it, and not reading any e-mails from threads I watched.
New to the internet, are we?

Tony the Tigger

They are trying to prove themselves more holy or politically correct than the other person, or trying to accuse that person of being prejudiced, homophobic, or rude to nursing mothers.

Do people typically say things like this if they aren't prejudiced, homophobic, or rude to nursing mothers?

note2001

I'll never understand the mindset of folk who join a forum, participate in conversation, and then complain that people have opinions other than their own. THEN, they feel they need to use the platform to voice the injustice of it all, and will not entertain any more thought on the subject.

Must be a very lonely world to live in where the only one you'll listen to is yourself.

By the way... if on the off-chance the OP is sitting in the rafters laughing... there is a wonderful tool called the ignore button.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
There's nothing worse than forced positivity. Yes, there will be arguments. Yes, there will be negativity. Yes, people won't be so nice to others sometimes. The last time I checked, this forum was never a "safe space" for people, it was a place to talk about what they liked and criticize what they didnt like. Sometimes one side of the discussion dominates the other. If you cant handle that, this isnt the place for you.

And I'm willing to bet this person really isnt going to delete the book mark and will read the replies but just not acknowledge them.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
A few thoughts:

Society today has become too focused on feelings rather than on truth. This tends to hurt feelings of those who have a difficult time with emotional self awareness.

Thise site is well moderated. Id rather @wdwmagic and @The Mom be more lenient than strict. Ive been given grace in the past and am much appreciative of it. Ive never been the curator of a message forum before so I wont throw stones at moderation technique.

There will always be those who try to hijack a discussion to serve their purpose. It happens in settings like social gatherings, schools, work places, news print, talk radio, tv, and even here. You just have to do your best to ignore those individuals and usualy they will fade away into the ether.

Focus on the positive. Live is too short to miss out on the good things (like flour tortillas, churros and Schofferhoffer) because some idiot behind a screen name gets under your skin. Ive made some great friends and met some great people because of this site.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A few thoughts:

Society today has become too focused on feelings rather than on truth. This tends to hurt feelings of those who have a difficult time with emotional self awareness.

Thise site is well moderated. Id rather @wdwmagic and @The Mom be more lenient than strict. Ive been given grace in the past and am much appreciative of it. Ive never been the curator of a message forum before so I wont throw stones at moderation technique.

There will always be those who try to hijack a discussion to serve their purpose. It happens in settings like social gatherings, schools, work places, news print, talk radio, tv, and even here. You just have to do your best to ignore those individuals and usualy they will fade away into the ether.

Focus on the positive. Live is too short to miss out on the good things (like flour tortillas, churros and Schofferhoffer) because some idiot behind a screen name gets under your skin. Ive made some great friends and met some great people because of this site.

This is the best response...

I didn’t even read it...but I snarfed Starbucks when I read “upcharge $ parking fee enthusiast” on the avatar...

...I’m crying 😂😂😜🤪

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'll never understand the mindset of folk who join a forum, participate in conversation, and then complain that people have opinions other than their own. THEN, they feel they need to use the platform to voice the injustice of it all, and will not entertain any more thought on the subject.

Must be a very lonely world to live in where the only one you'll listen to is yourself.

By the way... if on the off-chance the OP is sitting in the rafters laughing... there is a wonderful tool called the ignore button.

This is really my manifesto...

What is wrong with discussion? But you see it here all the time...even worse on the kindergarten boards.

We are all faceless and I don’t understand how discussion with differences can be so appalling to many??

I tend to think it’s generational more than anything....and regional. People don’t type the same language often times and skin thickness varies greatly...

Carry on.

The Mom

Premium Member
OP - sorry you feel that you (or someone else) have been attacked. Sorry that women (and the men who love them) felt insulted by someone who states breast feeding makes them feel "creepy crawly" There are always two sides to every issue.

The mods try to let people express their opinions as much as possible - but do step in if a post is reported and we agree that it is inappropriate. And as most posters have learned - sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug, ie, sooner or later you might have a post deleted - even I had a couple poof. ;)
BUT A POST HAS TO BE REPORTED! The mods don't have the time or inclination to read every single post on this site. Long time posters have been pretty good at alerting us to problems, and I thank them. We do have limited moderation so it tends to be more consistent than other boards. But NO board is going to be moderated exactly the way any one poster wants it to be done. I receive just as many complaints about being too strict as I do too lax - so I'm right where I want to be.

If you don't want to receive emails about certain threads - just turn off the email alert option. Or send them to junk email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom