News Disney Has Purchased Approximately 235 Acres of Land

SplashJacket

Original Poster
According to the site that shall not be named, Disney has purchased 235 acres of land adjacent to the western side of the property. While I would not normally care the number of acres got me suspicious.

Due to the location of the purchased property, I would suspect the land to be used for absolutely nothing, but that is where I became suspicious.

Land in all areas have development restrictions, Disney is no exception, despite the fact they literary own the local government.

Both HS and AK have a footprint of roughly 300 acres including the parking area.

Theoretically, over the long term could the land be used as a transfer of development restrictions to free up land in a better location?

I am not saying tomorrow, next year, or the year after, but could it be a sign of some mass development in the works?

Gringrinngghost

According to the site that shall not be named, Disney has purchased 235 acres of land adjacent to the western side of the property. While I would not normally care the number of acres got me suspicious.

Due to the location of the purchased property, I would suspect the land to be used for absolutely nothing, but that is where I became suspicious.

Land in all areas have development restrictions, Disney is no exception, despite the fact they literary own the local government.

Both HS and AK have a footprint of roughly 300 acres including the parking area.

Theoretically, over the long term could the land be used as a transfer of development restrictions to free up land in a better location?

I am not saying tomorrow, next year, or the year after, but could it be a sign of some mass development in the works?
It could be an offset for further Flamingo Crossings works. I do also agree that they want to use it as a buffer due to the housing development near there.

Gringrinngghost

DAK is far bigger than DHS. And yes that’s likely what it was bought for, transferring restrictions. Thanks for sharing.
  1. Disney's Animal Kingdom - 580 acres (Also reported as 403 acres)
  2. Epcot - 300 acres
  3. Tokyo DisneySea - 176 acres
  4. Disney's Hollywood Studios - 135 acres
  5. Disneyland Paris - 126 acres
  6. Tokyo Disneyland - 115 acres
  7. Magic Kingdom - 105 acres
  8. Disneyland - 85 acres
  9. Disney California Adventure - 72 acres
  10. Hong Kong Disneyland - 68 acres
  11. Walt Disney Studios, Paris - 62 acres

SplashJacket

Original Poster
DAK is far bigger than DHS. And yes that’s likely what it was bought for, transferring restrictions. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder how much it cost.

My intended point for including the rough acreage of the total footprint was to display the correlation between the purchased land size and the size of new development.

Tom Morrow

Many people see those figures for DAK and comment on how huge the park is, but in reality DAK has about the same walking area as DHS. Kilimanjaro Safaris and the unused expansion plot to the east of it make up more than half of the park. According to Google Earth's measurement tool, DAK + the parking lot is about 480 acres, however the other three parks match the figures listed above without including the parking lot.

Last edited:

SplashJacket

Original Poster
8a675b4478461dcb4f22bee4c9fbdba1.jpg

Google earth begs to differ. I would say AK is far closer to 350 than roughly 300, but when I did a very quick mock-up of HS I got around 280, which is roughly 300.

After redoing HS I got about 260, which is not roughly 300. My bad!

When I first did AK I got 330 as I did not include the Cast Member parking to the west of the park. My bad!

Victor Kelly

I understand that Disney has been purchasing land and ranches for a while. So most likely yes, it is for offset. However there is a lot of unusable land within property boundaries. A good example is the land between TTC and Contrmporary.

Surfin' Tuna

Safe money goes to offset, but they do another another development option that's been kicked around for a while. My understanding was that it was going closer to 192/Celebration area, but this size and area would work nicely for what was planned.

seascape

Disney has to have plans on some major additions in the future. They have purchased tons of land recently. Either they have to enlarge the existing borders of the existing parks or build a fifth. In many ways I think it would be better to expand MK and Hollywood Studios. I expect something major to be announced after WSW's 50th Celebration but before the Company's 100th Anniversary in 2023.

DisneyCane

Disney has to have plans on some major additions in the future. They have purchased tons of land recently. Either they have to enlarge the existing borders of the existing parks or build a fifth. In many ways I think it would be better to expand MK and Hollywood Studios. I expect something major to be announced after WSW's 50th Celebration but before the Company's 100th Anniversary in 2023.
At some point you have to add parks if you want to increase attendance. No matter how many attractions you add to an existing park, at some point the walkways can't handle any more. On the more crowded days, just walking around MK now is miserable. To the point that on a hot, crowded day in July, I would avoid MK even if I had a super FP that allowed me to go to the FP line of every ride whenever I want.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom