Disney Grad Nites to End

sweetpee_1993

I was there the same year. We also had Samantha Fox, Will to Power, Midnight Star, Pasanda's and Surface. I do not remember Lita Ford though and she was one that I would have remembered.

Richard, were you a metal head??? I remember all the metal heads and the boot crew guys (snakeskin boots) thought Lita was the bee's knees. :lol:

Midnight Star! OMG! A song came on XM the other day by them and my oldest said, "How did you listen to that?!"

sweetpee_1993

I find it upsetting news and know that my son is going to be very disappointed... My son, along with his buddy since diapers, had asked us Mom's to plan their Senior Class Trip just for Grad Nites 2013... Sure, we could consider taking the class over to DLR, but it will likely be far more than many can afford as the airfare is usually higher to go from the midwest to Cali... *sigh*

Park hours will likely be getting later at the end of May. You could still get a group together and go to WDW. It just won't be the event as it once was. My niece who lives in Mobile, Alabama told us over Christmas that she could care less about her senior class trip. She wants the DH & me to take her to WDW instead. I was so flattered!

This is sad to me, as I have a ton of really great memories from when I went to Grad Nite in 2006. But at the same time, I can see why the CM's are happy to see it go. My friends and I were respectful to all the CM's and never got rowdy... but a lot of the kids did... kind of ruined part of the experience for all of us.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Richard, were you a metal head??? I remember all the metal heads and the boot crew guys (snakeskin boots) thought Lita was the bee's knees. :lol:

Midnight Star! OMG! A song came on XM the other day by them and my oldest said, "How did you listen to that?!"
Sort of. I did not dress the part but I liked the music. I also liked groups like Journey, REO Speedwagon, Kansas, etc. My favorite band by far from that era was Van Halen (with Haggar, I know, get your pitchforks and torches). The best concert I ever went to in my life was that year in Tampa. It was the monsters of rock with Dokken, Kingdom Kome, Metallica, Scorpions and Van Halen.

sweetpee_1993

Sort of. I did not dress the part but I liked the music. I also liked groups like Journey, REO Speedwagon, Kansas, etc. My favorite band by far from that era was Van Halen (with Haggar, I know, get your pitchforks and torches). The best concert I ever went to in my life was that year in Tampa. It was the monsters of rock with Dokken, Kingdom Kome, Metallica, Scorpions and Van Halen.

I hear ya. Chandler would totally drill you about seeing Metalica back in the day. He looooves music. It is sorta sad to see something so many grew up with ending but then again, it's understandable I guess. I don't think I ever knew anyone who went to Grad Nite and I lived in the Orlando area until I was 16. My older brother and 2 step brothers didn't go. I don't recall any of their friends going, either. At that time in our lives WDW was for tourists...we were too cool to go there. Look what's happened to me! :cool:

FLDISFAN

I was there the same year. We also had Samantha Fox, Will to Power, Midnight Star, Pasanda's and Surface. I do not remember Lita Ford though and she was one that I would have remembered.

If I recall as well, the lineups changed from week to week, so it all depended upon what week you were there.

My wife is INSANELY jealous that I had New Kids on the Block. She was (is still for that matter) a huge fan. I thought they sucked, and still think they do. I remember them singing that horrific refrain "The right stuff" when we first got in the park. We then rode Space Mountain, came back thru and they were STILL singing that same refrain..

Lita Ford did ok singing her hit "Kiss me once! Kiss me Twice! Come on pretty baby KISS ME DEADLY"

The year she went she had C&C music factory. I would of liked to see that.

menamechris

I guess when it gets to the point where Pauly D is the DJ, it's time to close shop :ROFLOL:

Truer words were never spoken...

I think Grad Nite had a time and a place in Disney history - and it ended about 10 years ago. They really can't get the names and bands they once did, and I think kids that age would probably rather be a Universal anyways...

Now if only we could get them to ditch Night of Joy....

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If I recall as well, the lineups changed from week to week, so it all depended upon what week you were there.

My wife is INSANELY jealous that I had New Kids on the Block. She was (is still for that matter) a huge fan. I thought they sucked, and still think they do. I remember them singing that horrific refrain "The right stuff" when we first got in the park. We then rode Space Mountain, came back thru and they were STILL singing that same refrain..

Lita Ford did ok singing her hit "Kiss me once! Kiss me Twice! Come on pretty baby KISS ME DEADLY"

The year she went she had C&C music factory. I would of liked to see that.
A friend of mine was obsessed with Samantha Fox and followed her from location to location. I elected to spend the evening with my now wife and her quite attractive friends.

majorrfb

You're right on the money!

I have no doubt that the attitudes and behavior of teenagers has changed over the years. I remember going, and it was a great event. But we were required to wear slacks and a tie then. I am sure that tradition has been done away with as well.

Up until 10 years ago, our school in W. Mass, sent seniors to the Grad Nite affair. One of our Dept. Chairs had a brother who worked at one of the hotels, and helped the kids get a great deal on rooms and tickets. Well,
in gratitude, about half of these young people were caught shoplifting. Kids who went said more than half were envolved but were not detected. Needless to say, this trip was the last for our high school. Ruining any chance for other kids to experience the fun of Disney in future years. :hammer:

jlg263

Awww, I have to say I'm a little sad to see it go! And I was a Cast Member during it! I only worked it one year though, and it was the year it was at Hollywood Studios. It was probably one of the most fun nights I worked though. I worked merchandise and just sold glow merch all night and basically got paid to watch Katy Perry perform. It was awesome! I can imagine it potentially being a nightmare for attractions cast members though...but for me it was fun!! haha.

I can see why they'd do away with it though. It took up multiple weekends and time away from regular guests that would actually spend money. Not to mention the money spent on booking fairly large entertainment acts and loads of special merchandise. I remember in our shop we had to put all of the jewelry racks in the back because shoplifting was an issue...All I really remember selling that night were the special graduation ear hats.

NutsForFlorida

Don't worry, I'm a Hagar fan too. He's way better than DLR. But, Metallica is the best overall.

stitchsMom

Park hours will likely be getting later at the end of May. You could still get a group together and go to WDW. It just won't be the event as it once was. My niece who lives in Mobile, Alabama told us over Christmas that she could care less about her senior class trip. She wants the DH & me to take her to WDW instead. I was so flattered!

That is just it-- It wont be the same without the concerts or the time set aside in the park... Ah well the boy is home now, guess it's time to break the news :wave:

Dwarful

Are you sure you aren't from the St. Louis area 'cause in STL Sammy is 'The Guy'.

Maerj

Worse - all transportation that touches the MK ceases at 7:00, and the road traffic around the MK begins to look like LA during rush hour.

I think WDW finally noticed that guests were AVOIDING WDW during weeks that included these events (I know WE did). Now let's see what they do with Pop Warner :).

When we were there we had no idea of these 'Grad Nights' and we were told by a CM right before 7, I believe, that we had to leave the park because of it. We were a bit annoyed having paid for a full day then being unexpectedly asked to leave. So, we won't be missing Grad Nights but I cans ee how some others would.

Yes, after that we avoided Grad Nights.

floridabill

A sign of the times, and how sad it is.

I knew this day would finally come, teenagers don;t want to go to the magic kingdom for grad night. They would rather go to universal or go off on there own and get drunk. This is just one toward disney's fall in the near future. I truly do believe that disney is going to have a hard time competing in the next 10 plus years. Kids are changing and are subjected to violence and more sexual content then they were back in the day.

People who were in the love with the brand will die off, and take the brand with them. I sadly think with in the next decade it will all be about universal six flags and places like dubai land! once that place opens it's all over twice the size of WDW and it is going to feature some of the most innovative ride experiences ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom