Disney Genie/Genie+ On Their Way to Anaheim

CaptinEO

This makes the whole Magic Key decision a little more challenging for me now. Do I want to invest in the key and in Genie+ every visit? Of course, I could just choose to never use Genie+ but I gotta believe this announcement will impact some peoples decisions to get a Magic Key...which is probably why Disney announced this now vs post 8/25...they'll thin the herd a bit more.
Especially when you know in 6 months they'll have a magic key with "genie" included.

milordsloth

I haven’t read anything to make me believe it will be any different beyond the 2 upsell attractions
From the announcement, emphasis mine: "For the price of $15 per ticket per day at Walt Disney World Resort and $20 per ticket per day at Disneyland Resort, choose the next available time to arrive at a variety of attractions and experiences using the Lightning Lane entrance. You can make one selection at a time, throughout the day"

That sounds to me like a downgrade from Maxpass. I hope that gets changed/clarified and some sort of time limit is added also.

Stevek

From the announcement, emphasis mine: "For the price of $15 per ticket per day at Walt Disney World Resort and $20 per ticket per day at Disneyland Resort, choose the next available time to arrive at a variety of attractions and experiences using the Lightning Lane entrance. You can make one selection at a time, throughout the day"

That sounds to me like a downgrade from Maxpass. I hope that gets changed/clarified and some sort of time limit is added also.
I think we just need clarification. It’s vague, my gut tells me it will be the same. You can make one selection at a time, doesn’t mean you can’t hold more than one at a time.

aaronml

Especially when you know in 6 months they'll have a magic key with "genie" included.
Maybe… or maybe not. Apparently in WDW you will only be able to add Genie+ to your ticket in advance if it is a date-based ticket. That makes me think they are preparing for date-based pricing for Genie+, which would definitely disincentivize them from offering a fixed-price AP add-on. I don’t think they will offer an annual AP/MK add-on (like they did with MaxPass) unless not enough APs purchase the current daily Genie+ add-on.

aaronml

Another thought… it seems likely that entertainment FP (i.e. WoC and Fantasmic) will also be a part of Genie+. At which point the only way to get a good view will be to pay up for Genie+. I hope I’m wrong, but it seems like the most likely outcome at this point.

fctiger

For me, I kind of predicted this was going to happen and eventually FP would stop being a free option. This was writing on the wall for a long time now, once Max Pass was released. I think the plan was to eventually faze out FPs and Max Pass was going to ultimately become the only option people had. This was probably a few more years away but the pandemic just pushed these plans up a lot faster like a lot o the changes.

Sure I will miss FP but this is not a bad thing overall. I think $20 to get as many FPs as you want is reasonable. Now what I DON'T like is that they will upsell the top rides for MORE money. Yeah that rubs me the wrong way too. That's just out and out greed but it is Disney lol.

I have to be honest, I'm shocked it really took this long to happen considering all the other parks never made the front of the line option free and in fact went the opposite way and charged a HUGE amount for them. I can't imagine paying $90 for an 'express pass' at USH when A. It cost nearly as much as the admission ticket itself and B. We're talking what, for 6-7 rides? And yet they easily sell them, especially on busy days. Disney clearly saw all the money they were losing when people were spending $100 per person for these front of the line passes. So I'm personally fine with it. Will I ever buy it myself, doubtful, but it's at least reasonable to consider it.

I'm more curious what people think about it at WDW since unlike us, FP+ offered advance FPs for months in advance. That must be killing them lol. I will be going there in a week time. The irony is I never been a big fan of WDW like I am the other parks because I hated advance FP system. I didn't like planning what day and time I was going to ride SM 6 months in advance. I actually liked planning things out a lot more looser and all the other parks offered on the day passes and it was all first come first serve. So this will have much bigger affect there than here. On to read those threads now lol.

BasiltheBatLord

So at first glance this doesn't seem as bad as I was expecting. The fact that standby lines will be untouched is a very good thing.

I'm not an expert on operations, but I think it's possible this system could actually significantly reduce standby wait times across the parks.

But yeah, welcome to the 21st century where staying glued to your phone 24/7 is a requirement to get anything done (terrible mental health epidemic on a massive scale) and spontaneity as part of experience is dead and buried.

No Name

Very different from Paris from what I understand...a hybrid if you will with only 2 attractions in each part that require the add'l upcharge. So think that Racers, Rise, Spidey....those will likely have the upcharge option. Everything else will be included in Genie+ as they were with Maxpass.
I read it as you can pay for up to two additional upcharges, but there’ll be more than two rides in each park that require them.

If a mere $20 lets you skip the lines for all but two rides, that would be insanely inexpensive and probably wouldn’t work. Islands of Adventure in Orlando sells express passes for $110 and those aren’t valid for the two most popular rides in the park either. I think everyone here is severely underestimating how big that upcharge list is going to be.

Ryan120420

I read it as you can pay for up to two additional upcharges, but there’ll be more than two rides in each park that require them.

If a mere $20 lets you skip the lines for all but two rides, that would be insanely inexpensive and probably wouldn’t work. Islands of Adventure in Orlando sells express passes for $110 and those aren’t valid for the two most popular rides in the park either. I think everyone here is severely underestimating how big that upcharge list is going to be.

If Jim Hill is correct, a Rise of the Resistance Lighting Lane pass will start at $50 per person.

I can imagine Radiator Springs Racers starting at $25.

DrAlice

If Jim Hill is correct, a Rise of the Resistance Lighting Lane pass will start at $50 per person.

I can imagine Radiator Springs Racers starting at $25.

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I mean, I love Star Wars and all, but I wouldn't pay $150 for my family to ride it. $75 for the family to ride RSR??? Yeah, no. That's just ludicrous.

Again, I'll reserve final judgement on this plan until I see the details.

TrojanUSC

I'm not an expert on operations, but I think it's possible this system could actually significantly reduce standby wait times across the parks.

Really depends how many "Lightning Lane" passes are out there and what people do during their wait. There's only so much capacity that each ride can handle. FP made lines much longer as 80% of the guests came from the FP line, but if they keep the inventory of these smaller it could help somewhat should people choose to spend their time eating/shopping vs getting into another standby line while they wait.

cmwade77

The experience of going to Disneyland is getting so complicated and frustrating for your average guest.

This will generate more revenue for Disney, but I really start to think they are going to start alienating your average park goer that doesn't want to read a ****ing encyclopedia on how the parks work in order to enjoy their day at Disneyland.
I don't think it will generate as much revenue as Disney expects.

Ryan120420

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

I mean, I love Star Wars and all, but I wouldn't pay $150 for my family to ride it. $75 for the family to ride RSR??? Yeah, no. That's just ludicrous.

Again, I'll reserve final judgement on this plan until I see the details.

For a family that is on that "once-in-a-lifetime" vacation or the family that is only at the parks every few years, an additional $150+ is probably nothing in the total cost of the vacation. I'd pay it if it guaranteed my family got on the most popular attraction during our once in-a-lifetime trip.

I see Disney having no problems selling the Rise of the Resistance passes, especially at Disney World.

mickEblu

So at first glance this doesn't seem as bad as I was expecting. The fact that standby lines will be untouched is a very good thing.

But yeah, welcome to the 21st century where staying glued to your phone 24/7 is a requirement to get anything done (terrible mental health epidemic on a massive scale) and spontaneity as part of experience is dead and buried.

I feel pretty much the same. Glad standby lines are sticking around. I also think standby lines should move a bit faster since genie + isn’t included with APs tickets. Overall this makes a better experience for tourists and is a downgrade for APs. For my eventual first trip to WDW in Jan 2023 It’s an easy choice for me to lightning and genie+ the popular rides. At DL I’ll pretty much only be using it if I’m hosting family from out of the town or out of the country.

Like you, my biggest problem is the phone thing. A day at Disneyland is starting to require way too much time looking at your phone.

I caved and spontaneously went to DL at 3pm this past Sunday when my Bro in law and sis texted us raving about the wait times. Every single rides wait time in the park was between a walk on and 10 minutes…except Peter Pan. I can’t remember anything like it in my lifetime. Mayyyybe once or twice when I was a kid. Anyway it was so nice to not have to plan a damn thing and still ride everything you want. We did 14 rides in 8 hours. Including a 1.5 hour dinner at Cafe Orleans with no reservations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom