Disney Genie/Genie+ On Their Way to Anaheim

Stevek

7a and 1p
Thanks. So most likely, on our day at DHS, we'll try the boarding group option at 7 and if that doesn't work, this would be the one attraction where I'd probably pay the add'l upcharge. Likely nothing else in any of the 4 parks where I'd pay extra beyond the Genie+/Maxpass upcharge of $15/day

No Name

I’m sure they’ll change my mind as more details are released, but right now it doesn’t sound quite as bad as what they’re doing in Paris. Obviously nobody likes paying more money but it’s unrealistic to think they’d continue offering a free-ish service when every other amusement/theme park has been charging for it for years. I will always miss the fastpass days, but I’m moreso happy that it happened than sad that it’s over.

Last edited:

Tamandua

I’m sure they’ll change my mind as more details are released, but right now it doesn’t sound quite as bad as what they’re doing in Paris. Obviously nobody likes paying more money but it’s unrealistic to think they’d continue offering a free-ish service when every other amusement/theme park has been charging for it for years.
Most other parks charge a fraction of the Disney Parks admission price. Hardly comparable in my opinion. If you have to pay extra on top of the extremely high Disney admission price just to have a decent experience, something is wrong.

milordsloth

I hope this works similar to Maxpass in that a person can schedule another fastpass after a certain amount of time if the window for the next ride is way later in the day. From what I've read it seems like you have to use one before you can schedule the next one.

In other words, if you manage to snag one of the last remaining tier 2 lightning passes for a popular ride for 6 hours from now, you are SOL getting another tier 2 lightning pass.

Last edited:

Mickeyboof

Most other parks charge a fraction of the Disney Parks admission price. Hardly comparable in my opinion. If you have to pay extra on top of the extremely high Disney admission price just to have a decent experience, something is wrong.

Exactly *chefs kiss*

I hope this works similar to Maxpass in that one a person schedule another fastpass after a certain amount of time if the window for the next ride is way later in the day. From what I've read it seems like you have to use one before you can schedule the next one.

Basically, if you manage to snag one of the last remaining tier 2 lightning passes for a popular ride for 6 hours from now, you are SOL getting another tier 2 lightning pass.

That is exactly the current policy. Absolute garbage concept.

No Name

Universal Hollywood is pretty close in price, and charges an especially ridiculous amount for an express pass.

DrAlice

I've had a stupendously crappy week so far, and this is just the cherry on top. I'll reserve formal judgement until I see the list of attractions available to each tier/caste/depth-of-pocket-grab. Looks like the Paris program. :(

Stevek

I’m so happy I’m no longer addicted to visiting the parks as much as possible anymore and barely have any interest in going. Makes spending money on other things that much easier.
This makes the whole Magic Key decision a little more challenging for me now. Do I want to invest in the key and in Genie+ every visit? Of course, I could just choose to never use Genie+ but I gotta believe this announcement will impact some peoples decisions to get a Magic Key...which is probably why Disney announced this now vs post 8/25...they'll thin the herd a bit more.

Stevek

I've had a stupendously crappy week so far, and this is just the cherry on top. I'll reserve formal judgement until I see the list of attractions available to each tier/caste/depth-of-pocket-grab. Looks like the Paris program. :(
Very different from Paris from what I understand...a hybrid if you will with only 2 attractions in each part that require the add'l upcharge. So think that Racers, Rise, Spidey....those will likely have the upcharge option. Everything else will be included in Genie+ as they were with Maxpass.

DrAlice

Very different from Paris from what I understand...a hybrid if you will with only 2 attractions in each part that require the add'l upcharge. So think that Racers, Rise, Spidey....those will likely have the upcharge option. Everything else will be included in Genie+ as they were with Maxpass.
Thanks for the clarification. I guess the question remains: how MUCH is the upcharge for those two rides. Other than that, on the surface, the Lightning thing looks like a rebranded MaxPass. But, I'm tired and may have missed details...

SplashGhost

If Disney can get away with selling access to Web Slingers as an upcharge, that will just encourage them to make more Midway Mania clones instead of actual good rides.

And if Rise actually cost 50 dollars to access and "free" boarding groups become even harder to come by, then my days of going to Disneyland regularly might come to an end, since that means any new attraction that I would enjoy would have a ludicrous upcharge associated with them. I also have a feeling that it will be more than just 2 rides a park that have Lighting Pass upcharges.

milordsloth

Well I just hope "fall" means by early October for this to release. I want to be able to skip at least some of those long lines on my trip for Oogie Boogie Bash. Last time I was there around that time the parks were insanely crowded.

waltography

This makes the whole Magic Key decision a little more challenging for me now. Do I want to invest in the key and in Genie+ every visit? Of course, I could just choose to never use Genie+ but I gotta believe this announcement will impact some peoples decisions to get a Magic Key...which is probably why Disney announced this now vs post 8/25...they'll thin the herd a bit more.
This is my exact reasoning right now. The new system is so close to MaxPass and yet just different enough that it's giving me pause. I wouldn't hesitate as much if they provided a Genie+ add-on to the pass, but the introductory $20 per visit is changing the calculus.

Stevek

Exactly *chefs kiss*

That is exactly the current policy. Absolute garbage concept.
I
I hope this works similar to Maxpass in that a person can schedule another fastpass after a certain amount of time if the window for the next ride is way later in the day. From what I've read it seems like you have to use one before you can schedule the next one.

In other words, if you manage to snag one of the last remaining tier 2 lightning passes for a popular ride for 6 hours from now, you are SOL getting another tier 2 lightning pass.
DL max pass would allow another FP after 2 hours regardless of holding one for a later attraction.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
They’re absolutely thinning the herd. I’ve been part of that herd for a minute now.

Literally none of what they’ve announced in these past few weeks have encouraged me to give the DLR my money.

Ryan120420

If Disney were smart they would give every guest, each day, 3 free FastPasses (wishes). If a guest wanted more FastPasses (wishes) then they could upgrade to Genie Plus and Lighting Lane.

I think completely eliminating a "free" version of Fastpass might be the straw that breaks Disney's back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom