Disney Genie/Genie+ On Their Way to Anaheim

Disstevefan1

I do have to agree… I think Disney underpriced the offering (crazy to say that, I know), and as such, more people bought in then expected, causing even crazier lines.

Hopefully higher prices lowers usage.
I agree, I think the prices should continue to rise until only the elite can afford to attend. This should lower the crowds to your liking.

Disstevefan1

I didn’t say that?
Just kidding.
Actually it’s a commentary about the constant price increases for everything at the Disneyparks.
Fact is, prices on everything will continue to go up with no end in sight.

It should eventually reduce crowds and use of Genie+ and ILL but it’s not working so far.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I thought the pricing was dynamic now? Maybe $25 is the base price and it’s $30 today because it’s Saturday during Halloween? With that said we can all agree Genie + is no good but raising the prices can only help standby guests and the people that will continue buying Genie +. Unless everyone just keeps paying for it of course.
Yes, this is part of the dynamic pricing.

1666549337310.png

It should also be noted that dynamic pricing is only for purchasing Genie+ on the day of the visit (after you enter the parks). If you purchase Genie+ when you purchase your tickets, it will always be $25.

Basically, Disney is making you gamble on the price if you wait. This is their way of "encouraging" you to lock into it if you want a guaranteed $25 price.

I believe this approach will actually increase the number of people buying them, not decrease because people will want to lock in the lower price (if they think they will need them that day which they will do if they are going on a higher-tiered day where they think it will be more crowded).

Also, note that Magic Key holders don't have the choice since they have to purchase Genie+ the day of their visit.

Last edited:

DrAlice

This is their way of "encouraging" you to lock into it if you want a guaranteed $25 price.

I believe this approach will actually increase the number of people buying them, not decrease because people will want to lock in the lower price
I agree completely. Anyone who looks at this policy and still thinks it is about lowering crowds is not really paying attention (or lying to themselves).

At some level, I have to take a step back and admire the pure evil genius of the execs. They have managed to maximize squeezing every last nickle out of their guests without hurting attendance. It's kind-of amazing. Just how much more can they push it? I have a feeling we will find out.

Heppenheimer

BTW, just enlighten me... does Genie at Disneyland work like the old Fastpass system at Disney World where you had to reserve rides months in a advanced, or is it only active once you actually enter the park, like the reservation system for Rise of the Resistance? I'm probably going in March, and trying to decide if its worthwhile.

PiratesMansion

BTW, just enlighten me... does Genie at Disneyland work like the old Fastpass system at Disney World where you had to reserve rides months in a advanced, or is it only active once you actually enter the park, like the reservation system for Rise of the Resistance? I'm probably going in March, and trying to decide if its worthwhile.
It activates when you enter the park. It's very helpful, it's just frustrating that unlike old FP you can only do each attraction with Genie+/LL once per day.

RSR and ROTR are both extra.

Heppenheimer

It activates when you enter the park. It's very helpful, it's just frustrating that unlike old FP you can only do each attraction with Genie+/LL once per day.

RSR and ROTR are both extra.
What's RSR?

I've done Rise of the Resistance, don't really feel the need to go out of my way to do it again if its too much trouble or an add-on.

EDIT: Oh, Radiator Springs Racers... my son might like that one, so I might need to add it.

PiratesMansion

What's RSR?

I've done Rise of the Resistance, don't really feel the need to go out of my way to do it again if its too much trouble or an add-on.

EDIT: Oh, Radiator Springs Racers... my son might like that one, so I might need to add it.
Depending on how old your son is, I'd probably just Single Rider RSR and save yourself the money.

DCBaker

Premium Member
In an update to the Disneyland website, Disney is emphasizing that there may be days where day-of Genie+ purchases will stop based on demand.

"If you did not purchase Disney Genie+ service with your ticket or package before your visit, you may be able to purchase it upon entering a theme park on the day of your visit via the Disneyland app. Please note that there may be days where day-of Disney Genie+ sales are stopped based on demand for the service."

"Purchase of Disney Genie+ service is subject to limited availability and is not guaranteed."

mickEblu

In an update to the Disneyland website, Disney is emphasizing that there may be days where day-of Genie+ purchases will stop based on demand.

"If you did not purchase Disney Genie+ service with your ticket or package before your visit, you may be able to purchase it upon entering a theme park on the day of your visit via the Disneyland app. Please note that there may be days where day-of Disney Genie+ sales are stopped based on demand for the service."

"Purchase of Disney Genie+ service is subject to limited availability and is not guaranteed."

I can’t imagine this is an issue if you get there by noon. Does make it more difficult to plan when you have non Magic Key fam and friends than can purchase their Genie + when they purchase their tickets.

SuddenStorm

I can’t imagine this is an issue if you get there by noon. Does make it more difficult to plan when you have non Magic Key fam and friends than can purchase their Genie + when they purchase their tickets.

Honestly if most of the group already has Genie +, if one or two people don't you can probably get away with it. It's not like CM's pay attention to make sure everyone scanned in. Definitely unethical and technically line cutting but if it's a situation where 5 people have tickets and two people couldn't get Genie+ cause they have Magic Key, what are you gonna do?

The system is hardly intuitive- so they probably just make sure something scans and otherwise don't care. It's not like the CM's do anything to stop line cutting anyways.

mickEblu

Honestly if most of the group already has Genie +, if one or two people don't you can probably get away with it. It's not like CM's pay attention to make sure everyone scanned in. Definitely unethical and technically line cutting but if it's a situation where 5 people have tickets and two people couldn't get Genie+ cause they have Magic Key, what are you gonna do?

The system is hardly intuitive- so they probably just make sure something scans and otherwise don't care. It's not like the CM's do anything to stop line cutting anyways.

100%

I’m not even sure it’s unethical to be honest. Lol. I spend a small fortune at DLR every year. If there is a flaw or loophole in your system I will exploit it and won’t think twice.

SuddenStorm

100%

I’m not even sure it’s unethical to be honest. Lol. I spend a small fortune at DLR every year. If there is a flaw or loophole in your system I will exploit it and won’t think twice.

You know, when every business decision is made at the expensive of the consumer- with little regard for making the parks pleasant- it's only natural for the consumer to feel like they're owed and try to exploit the company.

DrAlice

You know, when every business decision is made at the expensive of the consumer- with little regard for making the parks pleasant- it's only natural for the consumer to feel like they're owed and try to exploit the company.
And THIS is how DL falls. Part of the joy of visiting the parks is that everyone has that "Disney spirit". If it becomes a place where company and customer are competing to screw one another over, the atmosphere will become decidedly unpleasant. No thank you. If I want that kind of experience, Six Flags is cheaper.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
And THIS is how DL falls. Part of the joy of visiting the parks is that everyone has that "Disney spirit". If it becomes a place where company and customer are competing to screw one another over, the atmosphere will become decidedly unpleasant. No thank you. If I want that kind of experience, Six Flags is cheaper.
When I visited in October, a CM overheard my friend and I talking about how awful Genie+ is while waiting in line for Matterhorn. The CM said she’d rather be waiting in the faster queue than the general queue. We turned to her and said the prices Disney is charging are ridiculous and that there should just be one queue so that everyone waits the same amount of time. Her response was “Disney is a business.”😒🙄😑

Her response irked me so much. Girl, we know it’s a business. She missed the entire point.

DrAlice

When I visited in October, a CM overheard my friend and I talking about how awful Genie+ is while waiting in line for Matterhorn. The CM said she’d rather be waiting in the faster queue than the general queue. We turned to her and said the prices Disney is charging are ridiculous and that there should just be one queue so that everyone waits the same amount of time. Her response was “Disney is a business.”😒🙄😑

Her response irked me so much. Girl, we know it’s a business. She missed the entire point.
There is so much wrong with this exchange. At the very least: Why would a CM even get in this debate with a guest at all? It's mind boggling.

Ugh. Disney doesn't know why they have super fans. There aren't people spending hours on Six Flags discussion boards or building replicas of Universal in their back yard, ya know? They just don't even understand their own product anymore. The fact that this cast member doesn't even understand her role in creating that product just proves how broken this company is right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom