Disney Genie/Genie+ On Their Way to Anaheim

Roy G. Dis

Anyone actually use this today? Doesn't really seem to make sense for my visit with very small kiddos but I might wanna snag an ILL for rise when I can pretend I'm in control of my life again late at night.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Mac Tonight

No doubt they'll get it fixed, but what a nightmare for Cast Members and guests.

For the record, my wife and I did 4 days at WDW just prior to Thanksgiving and were able to go on every single thing we wanted to, without using Genie+ for anything. In fact, we wouldn't have even used the LL, but they gave us one for free since our trip on Haunted Mansion broke down and we had to evacuate.

CaptinEO

No doubt they'll get it fixed, but what a nightmare for Cast Members and guests.

For the record, my wife and I did 4 days at WDW just prior to Thanksgiving and were able to go on every single thing we wanted to, without using Genie+ for anything. In fact, we wouldn't have even used the LL, but they gave us one for free since our trip on Haunted Mansion broke down and we had to evacuate.
What's funny is that the cast members, if Disney used logic, wouldn't have to deal with anything.

The app shouldve just automatically refunded everyone once they realized "Genie" wasn't working. But instead they'd rather have people wait 2 hours in city hall or 4 hours for a phone call to get their refund. Magical.

TP2000

Heard back from the in-app CM chat: "Hi Rob! There is a slight delay with the system this morning due to high traffic. Our resort partners are currently looking into and correcting it. I apologize for the inconvenience."

🙄

-Rob

This is hysterical!!! 🤣

What the hell is a "resort partner"??? And what does a "resort partner" have to do with technical problems?

Why does TDA insist on using corporate office-babble when it is communicating with frustrated customers?

Again I say, the people running Disneyland are clueless dolts who have no idea who their customers are and how they use the product TDA is selling. My... Gawd, the idiocy it takes to put "resort partners" in print to a frustrated customer.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

What's funny is that the cast members, if Disney used logic, wouldn't have to deal with anything.

The app shouldve just automatically refunded everyone once they realized "Genie" wasn't working. But instead they'd rather have people wait 2 hours in city hall or 4 hours for a phone call to get their refund. Magical.
Doing that would require the very servers that were down.

TP2000

Shout out to the City Hall Cast Members today. Hang in there.... ❤️

I said this a few days ago, but I would really love to make a substantial contribution to a bar tab set up in the Cast Members name at their local watering hole of choice.

God knows no one in TDA above the Dockers-Clad Manager level will ever have to deal with thousands of frustrated customers in person, but all those CM's working in the park this week deserve a giant pitcher of beer.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
What the hell is a "resort partner"??? And what does a "resort partner" have to do with technical problems?
To me it sounds like they either outsourced the app development (not too likely), or they are referring to the service provider that houses the cloud servers and databases all of this runs on (like AWS for example). There was a major AWS outage yesterday and today's fiasco could have been a result from that.

Disney is not in the business of running their own cloud services. They use already created scalable solutions and services for that (like AWS, Oracle, SAP, etc..). They don't have control if something goes wrong on the backend (like a major backbone outage).

I know I joked above about not having bandwidth to cover all guests in the parks.....and I'm not totally defending Disney....but this could have been something out of their control. Again, the AWS outage yesterday killed a LOT of major businesses.

"Resort partner" is Disney-speak for whatever company they use to handle their cloud services.

TP2000

To me it sounds like they either outsourced the app development (not too likely), or they are referring to the service provider that houses the cloud servers and databases all of this runs on (like AWS for example). There was a major AWS outage yesterday and today's fiasco could have been a result from that.

Disney is not in the business of running their own cloud services. They use already created scalable solutions and services for that (like AWS, Oracle, SAP, etc..). They don't have control if something goes wrong on the backend (like a major backbone outage).

I know I joked above about not having bandwidth to cover all guests in the parks.....and I'm not totally defending Disney....but this could have been something out of their control. Again, the AWS outage yesterday killed a LOT of major businesses.

"Resort partner" is Disney-speak for whatever company they use to handle their cloud services.

Sure. I completely get all that. But you don't say "resort partner" in a quick message to a paying customer. And an already frustrated customer at that. It makes no sense.

The approved nomenclature and language used with paying customers in this situation should be...

"Hi Rob! There is a slight delay with the system this morning due to high traffic. Disney's technology team is currently working on the problem and correcting it. I apologize for the inconvenience."

Mac Tonight

Sure. I completely get all that. But you don't say "resort partner" in a quick message to a paying customer. And an already frustrated customer at that. It makes no sense.

The approved nomenclature and language used with paying customers in this situation should be...

"Hi Rob! There is a slight delay with the system this morning due to high traffic. Disney's technology team is currently working on the problem and correcting it. I apologize for the inconvenience."
At the very least, "resort partner" is probably their way of trying to absolve themselves of full responsibility for the fiasco. Welcome to the Chapek era.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom