Disney Genie/Genie+ On Their Way to Anaheim

TrojanUSC

The FP Scanner stanchions are equipped with the latest generation “Touch Points” / readers from Disney that support RFID, BLE, and optionally a barcode reader.

All of those technologies are supported in a single device for future-proofing purposes. It means that if Disney wants to start supporting RFID or BLE, they don’t have to replace hardware to do so. It doesn’t mean that the software and infrastructure to support that functionality is in place / working.

If DLR were to switch to basic RFID tickets that literally just contained the same number as a ticket barcode, that would be fairly straightforward to accomplish.

That would be unlikely though, since that wouldn’t support MagicBands.

MagicBands (and existing Disney RFID-based ticket media) each have their own unique ID number. When you scan a MagicBand, the ticketing system has to look up the profile associated with that MagicBand, and then look up active tickets associated with that profile.

That is far more complex than the current system at DLR where you just scan a barcode with your ticket number on it.

Indeed. The undertaking was massive in Florida and was expected to roll out to Disneyland shortly thereafter. However the expected ROI did not appear anywhere close to what they expected, which largely halted the rollout of MM+/FP+ to other properties.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not sure why this needs to be brought up every couple of years, but MB or any form of it is not coming to DLR. This was confirmed by Iger and team years ago. While the basic readers for FP+ exist at DLR, the rest of the infrastructure does not. Plus it wouldn't be economical at this point since the only part of MM+ that exists at DLR was the FP part anyways. They don't have enough Disney owned rooms to justify the cost of upgrading the entire resort. When they implemented MaxPass that was the FP+ equivalent for DLR.

Also if Disney had planned to expand MM+ and MB beyond WDW they would have built it into SDLR, but they didn't. Which indicates they have no intention of expanding MM+ or MB.

If you want to think about it Genie/Genie+ is the next generation of MM+ for all Disney Parks. It can be quickly implemented through the various different Disney Park Apps around the globe.

I know some fans hate it, but the Disney Park Apps is where Disney will continue to be pushing more and more functionality. In 2021 where smartphones are given away with a new cell phone plan, there is no reason why at least one person in a party doesn't have one.

el_super

RFID ticket media is more secure than barcode-based ticket media.

Yeah, but the media itself is just one part of the larger system. At WDW, the Magicbands/RFID were augmented with biometric fingerprint scanners that were able to confirm identity in order to grant admission. I'm not entirely sure on this, but those might not be allowed in California (or at least, the legal burden of maintaining them may be too high for Disney). So in California them implemented photo identification and if you are expecting each CM to check the guest versus their photo on record, scanning the barcode makes more sense. The CM has to physically scan the ticket and check the photo in order to grant admission.

lazyboy97o

Yeah, but the media itself is just one part of the larger system. At WDW, the Magicbands/RFID were augmented with biometric fingerprint scanners that were able to confirm identity in order to grant admission. I'm not entirely sure on this, but those might not be allowed in California (or at least, the legal burden of maintaining them may be too high for Disney). So in California them implemented photo identification and if you are expecting each CM to check the guest versus their photo on record, scanning the barcode makes more sense. The CM has to physically scan the ticket and check the photo in order to grant admission.
The biometrics debuted well before the RFID ticket media. Using RFID could still cause a photo to pop up just like scanning a barcode.

el_super

The biometrics debuted well before the RFID ticket media. Using RFID could still cause a photo to pop up just like scanning a barcode.

Yes the biometerics were around for awhile, that's true. For the RFID though, there's no benefit to having them, if you're still expecting the CM to visually confirm identity prior to granting entry. There's no real time savings in the transaction, there's no labor savings and there is no realized benefit.

TP2000

I'm trying to catch up on this thread before this latest thing goes live.

My only thought?....

Whatever happened to just building a really good ride that has really good hourly capacity, and then treating the CM's who operate and maintain it for the next 50 years well enough to ensure high hourly ridership?

See: It's A Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, Carousel of Progress, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Spaceship Earth, etc., etc.

Running a theme park is not rocket science. But it seems like they want to add rocket science to it just to make it more complicated than it needs to be. Download the App and pray! :rolleyes:

drizgirl

I'm trying to catch up on this thread before this latest thing goes live.

My only thought?....

Whatever happened to just building a really good ride that has really good hourly capacity, and then treating the CM's who operate and maintain it for the next 50 years well enough to ensure high hourly ridership?

See: It's A Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion, Carousel of Progress, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Spaceship Earth, etc., etc.

Running a theme park is not rocket science. But it seems like they want to add rocket science to it just to make it more complicated than it needs to be. Download the App and pray! :rolleyes:
We need to do something new! ALL OPTIONS ARE ON THE TABLE!!!

*****except that.

spaldingclan

Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that Disneyland still hasn't upgraded their ticket media infrastructure to RFID enabled readers? Both at the turnstiles and the attraction entrances?

The impending rollout of Genie+ would seem the perfect opportunity. RFID ticket media, MagicBands, the new option of using NFC on your phone like in WDW...

-Rob
we went to wdw in june and really loved the magic bands

truecoat

Here’s how Diaper Genie + p2p is working at WDW. Looks like Avatar, MMRR and 7DMT are being purchased.

05DA6B1C-002E-4373-816A-03833377573C.jpeg
79AED918-A584-4251-8D60-B07FAAA53426.jpeg
661311B3-DAFE-4793-9A29-17C9FEAB32AE.jpeg
32369595-752C-4132-81E5-640173D82CD2.jpeg
BEFCE051-B8DC-45B0-A673-2C1007B6D404.jpeg
3AAF298A-28D6-4CE2-AA47-96A47AEC43C1.jpeg
D0BF151D-6A78-4DB0-A5DA-ADABAB70630A.jpeg
6EE781E7-3122-4445-9B2F-880873A50920.jpeg

mickEblu

I’ll probably use the heck out of this at WDW but we don’t need this at DLR. Different Demographic. We just want to lightning lane the new popcorn bucket or seasonal snack. Not the crappy new shooter ride or RSR that’s almost 10 years old.

DrAlice

Last edited:

TP2000

They'll eventually make it an add on to the Keys. I'm guessing either $150 or $200.

Eh, I don't know about that.

I would have agreed with it if they had done this two years ago. But they really do seem serious about changing the rules and resetting expectations with 20 million fans in SoCal. They're serious, whether we like it or not.

I don't think they'll do an add on. But if they do, it won't be for some time (2023 or later) and it will be much higher than $200. $599? $799?

But if they do that at such a price point, they'll create the Karens From Hell at the City Hall desk when the Runaway Railway ride breaks down for four hours two weeks after it opens (anyone remember how often Racers broke down constantly for the first year or three?)

I've been surprised at how serious they are with these new programs, really bold stuff that is truly resetting expectations. I don't think they're ready to cave just yet with small ball add-ons for only $200.

SoCalDisneyLover

They will only do that if Genie+ sales from APs aren’t what they want them to be, which may very well happen.
It will be exactly like the whole ticket situation when the parks re-opened. People will pay once or twice, like they did with regular priced tickets, but then they'll realize how much it's costing, and will forego using Lightning Lane. Since Disney is all about money, they'll do the math on how making $150-$200 in a single shot, is better than having someone pay $20 over 2 or 3 visits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom