Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

123mart123

For previous discussion about Disney Genie, see the original thread - Disney Genie digital assistant app coming to Walt Disney World and FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

This is the new thread as of August 18 with confirmed details.

Disney Genie launch announcement

Disney Genie, Genie+ Frequently Asked Questions FAQ

GENIE+ just feels too much like the fox guarding the hen house.
sure it’s a money grab….but it’s a peculiar and challenging one for them.

@lentesta‘s Touring plans / Lines APP is an independent paid service that allows you to navigate the Disney parks system as they exist. The product works and is trusted and effective. I think it helps that it is independent and a flat fee service.

GENIE+ seems to be filled with upsells…but worse, Disney can manipulate the system to drive you to their paid system…and on top of that manipulate pricing at the same time.

how much capacity will be free versus reserved for paid LL? Will that be static or dynamically adjusted?

This has a huge potential to be a focal point of people’s experience/frustration At the parks.

I can’t see this lasting long term.

Spraragen88

Is Disney crazy for starting this Genie stuff at the same time of their 50th anniversary?? I feel like any app feature would need at least two weeks of a soft launch to work out some kinks, especially since it is mostly a paid feature. What happens when that 50th anniversary crowd arrives and overloads their server and can't even log into the app every morning to plan their day? They couldn't even sell Halloween Bash tickets online without their site crashing for hours. Right now is the perfect time to test the app, and get it working while the crowds are fewer than what they will be in a month.

KrzyKtty

Does anybody know if Genie+ is going to replace memory maker? Or if I need both Genie+ and memory maker? I know that Genie+ comes with the AR photo lens, but I'm not sure if it comes with the unlimited downloads of all other photos the way memory maker used to... 🤔.

ImperfectPixie

Does anybody know if Genie+ is going to replace memory maker? Or if I need both Genie+ and memory maker? I know that Genie+ comes with the AR photo lens, but I'm not sure if it comes with the unlimited downloads of all other photos the way memory maker used to... 🤔.
Disneyland gets unlimited downloads with Genie+, Disney World does not.

Patcheslee

I'm sure you're right, but I still think it would be a poor decision on the parks part. It seems like boarding groups should be for those rides that do not move people quickly through them. Or the ones with technical complications. Tron is a roller coaster. A fun roller coaster, but still a roller coaster. They traditionally move people through pretty quickly. I'm not sure I get the point in using boarding passes on this one. 🤷
Tron has a lower capacity than Rat

Disorbust

There is a simular thread over on Disboards but this post I think hits the nail with what the future will bring.

You are all missing the easiest one of all: ParkPass+

With paid Genie+ and LL, Disney can increase their revenue by adding or deleting ride capacity now. Theoretically, they could put a smaller amount of ride vehicles in service at park opening, drive up wait times, and then once people don't want to wait 3 hours in standby for Test Track, add capacity as more and more people pay the upcharge. Do you honestly think they are going to have all 3 Soarin' theaters open at 11am? Of course not if not enough people paid up that morning for Genie+, but they can bring the third one online after noon once standby exceeds over an hour and just have LL and Genie+ use that one while everyone else uses only 2.

So why wouldn't Disney do this with park reservations? "Trying to get into a park for a high demand day that has no more park passes available? With ParkPass+ added to your tickets, you can get into any park at any point of normal operating hours. You can even park hop before 2pm! Now you can access any Disney Park on any day, giving you more flexibility for your vacation!"

The brilliance of this for Cheapak is, just like with ride capacity, they can artificially inflate or decrease supply to increase demand, so people that have already purchased tickets, APs or MagicKeys but were shut out of a park reservation on NYE or the 4th due to artificial decreased supply can pay more to get one of the "limited supply" of ParkPass+ reservations available. They can limit Park reservations to say 70% of what they are now, and hold in reserve 30% more for people willing to pay for it. One way to decrease crowd capacity, but make people pay extra for the same things they used to get for free.

This would be the Holy Grail of Yield Managment.

Credit to Richard Bastien

flynnibus

Premium Member
There is a simular thread over on Disboards but this post I think hits the nail with what the future will bring.

With paid Genie+ and LL, Disney can increase their revenue by adding or deleting ride capacity now. Theoretically, they could put a smaller amount of ride vehicles in service at park opening, drive up wait times, and then once people don't want to wait 3 hours in standby for Test Track, add capacity as more and more people pay the upcharge. Do you honestly think they are going to have all 3 Soarin' theaters open at 11am? Of course not if not enough people paid up that morning for Genie+, but they can bring the third one online after noon once standby exceeds over an hour and just have LL and Genie+ use that one while everyone else uses only 2.

Doing this, Disney would hurt Genie+ sales because they wouldn't have the capacity to offer more LL spots in the morning. People who already bought Genie+ would be ed. Disney has incentive to make Lightning Lane capacity available... if not, people will also not see a value in it. "I paid $15 and all I got was the teacups!"

So why wouldn't Disney do this with park reservations? "Trying to get into a park for a high demand day that has no more park passes available? With ParkPass+ added to your tickets, you can get into any park at any point of normal operating hours. You can even park hop before 2pm! Now you can access any Disney Park on any day, giving you more flexibility for your vacation!"

Not gonna happen. You'll see park reservation constraints probably loosen (the park hopping element, etc) more than you see them trying to monetize the constraints.

I could see them selling more ticketed events then trying to simply monetize 'bypass reservations'. Too in your face... they will do better than that.

ImperfectPixie

Doing this, Disney would hurt Genie+ sales because they wouldn't have the capacity to offer more LL spots in the morning. People who already bought Genie+ would be ****ed. Disney has incentive to make Lightning Lane capacity available... if not, people will also not see a value in it. "I paid $15 and all I got was the teacups!"

Not gonna happen. You'll see park reservation constraints probably loosen (the park hopping element, etc) more than you see them trying to monetize the constraints.

I could see them selling more ticketed events then trying to simply monetize 'bypass reservations'. Too in your face... they will do better than that.
The "they will do better than that" part I'm not so sure of. Most of us didn't think they'd go so hard-core on paid line-skipping, either.

MurphyJoe

The brilliance of this for Cheapak is, just like with ride capacity, they can artificially inflate or decrease supply to increase demand, so people that have already purchased tickets, APs or MagicKeys but were shut out of a park reservation on NYE or the 4th due to artificial decreased supply can pay more to get one of the "limited supply" of ParkPass+ reservations available. They can limit Park reservations to say 70% of what they are now, and hold in reserve 30% more for people willing to pay for it. One way to decrease crowd capacity, but make people pay extra for the same things they used to get for free.

This would be the Holy Grail of Yield Managment.

Credit to Richard Bastien

Oh, Bob. I wonder if that's the reason Disneyland's annual passes are called Magic Keys and WDW's are annual passes? That WDW is going to offer a limited amount of "Magic Key" upgrades to park tickets which are booked for a set of dates that allows entry without a park reservation (and probably park hopping too). I wouldn't put it past 'em.

homerdance

Disney when asked to honor its contracts:
It’s a pandemic, you should expect to get paid less. You can’t expect people to spend how they spent pre-pandemic.

Disney’s excuse for this: great way to get more value out of your day.

EeyoreFan#24

Disney when asked to honor its contracts:
It’s a pandemic, you should expect to get paid less. You can’t expect people to spend how they spent pre-pandemic.

Disney’s excuse for this: great way to get more value out of your day.
I bet they had a team of lawyers ready to renegotiate contracts or clam force majore events to outright scrap them.

it wasn’t that long ago where that clause was just a boilerplate standard clause and most people never thought about even reading it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom