Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What's the + on that massage? 😬
u pay extra…

Disney has always played games with the inventory numbers to keep an artificially high occupancy rate. Starting the second week of August and continuing through present day (with the exception of Labor Day Weekend) occupancy rates have tumbled. But they're still covered under existing promotions that go through 9/25. Just like with the SWGE premiere debacle where they bet the barn that people would show, but didn't, they're doing the same or making the same mistakes again for 10/1. The question is, will 10/1 be a weeklong blip or a more sustained movement?

You can probably get a good idea of what's happening based on a hotel search for the week after, where there is wide open availability at all levels of resorts. The next blip is Jersey Week, followed by Thanksgiving and then Christmas.

The problem is, the decision makers at TDO and TWDC operate in their echo chamber where they can't hear anything besides them telling themselves how great they are. So just like with SWGE where there were some hasty discounts announced at the last minute, I would expect the same. The question is, do they do it before 10/1 or after.
What’s sad is in my day they DIDN’T do that. If the little DOS number said “99.7%”…there was 1 room open. Period.
But I would assume they play way more games with low occ and out of service now.
they have bounced off price ceilings…and continue to…there are pretty easy to track instances. And price problems lead to empty rooms. That’s lodging 101
The tommorowland cabanas didn't market well.

Would you instead settle for Bob Chapek patting you down for loose change?
They’re gonna rename them the “wild orchid day spa” and try again…

If that doesn’t work…then “during hours pirate and princess magic”

it’s all about messaging

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Yes!!!

I win…managed to not cave and post this 😉
Disappointed King Of The Hill GIF

pdude81

I won’t pay $96. $15 per person, I might have considered. $24 is outrageous.

I’m paying $56/park day for my AP. I guess that’s why Disney no longer values APs if they think people will pay $24 for a SINGLE RIDE. It better include Disney Massage+ at the end.
But they can't get you to pay the $24 if they don't get you in the park. That's what I don't get about the lack of any Florida or DVC discount on the Incredipass. Unless, of course, they just assume everybody will eat the increases and they can run promos later if they don't sell well.

Again, this is just my thinking and no data behind it, but for me and I assume many others the lower cost on re-entry has me adding trips, park days, TS dining, special events, etc. If I also have to throw another 5 hundo a person on top for Christmas week I may as well fly to Jamaica and have Santa zoom in on water skis to give kids presents.

ThistleMae

I posted this in the ROTR thread but I 100% expect a family to see "lightning lane" at the attraction entrance, click through the Genie+ purchase that mentions LL, and then have a nice what the heck reaction when the app or a CM tells them they have to pay $20 more again for ROTR. When that's all they wanted to begin with.

These really need two separate names.
I had this issue when I was first learning about Genie + and I read everything from everywhere about it. The LL$ or IAS$ (same thing) was confusing until I figured out that those top tier rides didn't need a separate line because they simply aren't available for Genie +. I do think folks will get confused.

ToTBellHop

But they can't get you to pay the $24 if they don't get you in the park. That's what I don't get about the lack of any Florida or DVC discount on the Incredipass. Unless, of course, they just assume everybody will eat the increases and they can run promos later if they don't sell well.

Again, this is just my thinking and no data behind it, but for me and I assume many others the lower cost on re-entry has me adding trips, park days, TS dining, special events, etc. If I also have to throw another 5 hundo a person on top for Christmas week I may as well fly to Jamaica and have Santa zoom in on water skis to give kids presents.
I agree that I think they are being too aggressive with pricing. The money has to come from somewhere. But maybe they want that? If I pay more for park days and therefore only have 5 park days (enough if I’m skipping lines), then I’m not in the parks the extra two days I’d normally plan for. There’s space for more bodies.

But, I think that’s quite the assumption. Chapek’s hubris rivals Iger’s.

I’m a DVC member who bought contracts anticipating about 10 hotel nights per year. We will probably end up arriving at the parks early for short lines, taking a significant break, and returning in the evening. And then back fill with Vero Beach trips. They haven’t yet found a way to ruin DVBR. Maybe Chapek isn’t aware it exists.

Patcheslee

I'm wondering it Disney has made the assumption that since people will pay $27/person on the Icon Wheel, or $25/person on the slingshot ride in Orlando they could get people to pay extras.
Honestly those prices see crazy as well IMO

pdude81

I agree that I think they are being too aggressive with pricing. The money has to come from somewhere. But maybe they want that? If I pay more for park days and therefore only have 5 park days (enough if I’m skipping lines), then I’m not in the parks the extra two days I’d normally plan for. There’s space for more bodies.

But, I think that’s quite the assumption. Chapek’s hubris rivals Iger’s.
Yeah, it's tricky if they have less bodies and then people don't feel the need to pay for line skips.

ThistleMae

Do we know for sure these rides are $24 or are we still speculating? I'm lost.
I believe everyone is speculating but basing this on some of the prices from Disney Paris. What is problematic for me is the fact that if you don't get a boarding pass for the two rides requiring a pass, you won't be able to ride unless you pay. Early or late EMH or Rope Drop will not get you onto those rides.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I believe everyone is speculating but basing this on some of the prices from Disney Paris. What is problematic for me is the fact that if you don't get a boarding pass for the two rides requiring a pass, you won't be able to ride unless you pay. Early or late EMH or Rope Drop will not get you onto those rides.
I wouldn't say speculating. I've been told of specific numbers planned for WDW.

dreday3

Well, technically that would be the case anyways for those two rides, right? If you don't get a boarding pass, you are out of luck.

I'm just stressed because this will all be starting right before our trip and I have so many questions!!! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom