Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

DCBaker

Premium Member
Sign changes up in Epcot today too -

Lightning-Lane-Sign-Living-with-the-Land-EPCOT-2.jpeg

Lightning-Lane-Sign-Soarin-EPCOT-2.jpeg

Weather_Lady

Epcot82Guy

The more I'm reading and thinking about this, the more I'm beginning to wonder if this is almost an intentionally created "shortage". Here's what I mean. Roll out Genie+, paid LL, crazy AP pricing, reduced AP benefits, etc. all at once. Then when people complain, add half back in. You get the benefit of the initial bump and get to say you responded to guest feedback.

Yet - in the end - having Genie+ (no upcharge), increased AP pricing (even at half the increase) which includes PhotoPass and park reservations would itself be a HUGE win for Disney. It's like I tell you that you have to take 8 pills a day - well now it's 3 pills once a week. I'm ahead 3 pills a week, and you're now thanking me for it.

Jrb1979

The more I'm reading and thinking about this, the more I'm beginning to wonder if this is almost an intentionally created "shortage". Here's what I mean. Roll out Genie+, paid LL, crazy AP pricing, reduced AP benefits, etc. all at once. Then when people complain, add half back in. You get the benefit of the initial bump and get to say you responded to guest feedback.

Yet - in the end - having Genie+ (no upcharge), increased AP pricing (even at half the increase) which includes PhotoPass and park reservations would itself be a HUGE win for Disney. It's like I tell you that you have to take 8 pills a day - well now it's 3 pills once a week. I'm ahead 3 pills a week, and you're now thanking me for it.
Wishful thinking. The Genie has been let out of the bag and it's not going back in. I doubt Genie+ will be included any time soon if ever.

Like I said earlier, it feels like many want this to fail to get FP+ back.

Epcot82Guy

Wishful thinking. The Genie has been let out of the bag and it's not going back in. I doubt Genie+ will be included any time soon if ever.

Like I said earlier, it feels like many want this to fail to get FP+ back.

I agree with that. I meant the IAP or whatever they call them now as being flexible. They could start including those in slow season. Genie+ is here to stay as is. (Other than maybe an add on option for annual passes.) I think it's the other upcharge benefits they could easily add back in. For example, we could end up with the following. Which, if they had started here, still would be a pretty big shift. Yet, in the context of "giving back" and "we heard you" could then easily get ushered back in.

1. Genie+ - stays
2. IAP - Start giving them for free to certain guests or APs or at certain times. (If you buy Genie+, of course.)
3. Reduce the Annual Passes by up to $100 as a temporary deal as needed.
4. Include Photo Pass and/or Water Parks (maybe with blackout dates).

If they did all of that, that would feel like they were listening. But, if you compare March 2020 to today, Disney is still getting:
1. Upwards of an average 20% increase on annual passes.
2. Paid Genie+
3. Park Pass Reservations
4. Likely - Annual Passholders opting into more blackout dates than before

That's my point. There are several of these things that could be "giveaways" on their side. So, they shot for the moon knowing they could pick and choose what they add back in. It's a very common negotiation tactic that I would completely see Disney trying at this point.

doctornick

This is a very misleading characterisation of our discussion. Universal is a perfectly valid choice for those who enjoy it, and I never said or implied otherwise. It’s not a question of validity, but of taste and preference. Some of us simply like Disney more and don’t want what Universal has to offer.

Yes. If someone's big draws to WDW are rides like HM, POTC, SSE, etc or the AA shows like American Adventure, Tiki birds, CBJ, etc. then Uni really isn't a substitute even if it is still a theme park. That doesn't diminish the quality of what Uni does have - and there are a number of types of experiences that Uni does better than WDW - but I would agree that you can't just say that Uni offers the same thing as WDw but more affordable.

Club Cooloholic

I just think all of their names are horrible lately…. The ap names?? And lightning lane during storms, etc

genie+…

just 🤮
A Genie that makes none of your wishes come true. Maybe they should have called it Monkey's Paw.
That said I am disappointed in this, but I never really loved Fast Pass once they made it a preorder thing. Way too much planning was involved once the kiosks were done. I hated having to think of what ride I was going to be going on a month ahead of time. Some will use this some won't, I can only see trying it for Remy right now since that is one we haven't done when we go next time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom