Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

pdude81

Having never used magic bands, we were planning to purchase just to have the tracking feature. One could presume this function will be eliminated, based on recent developments. I’d hope an option remains for those children who don’t have phones.
MBs will still work, you just can't plan with them. As such they can't pretend that's the most important thing anymore. When I want to pay with MB cast members almost seem confused these days.

However, it still gets you in the ride queues and still opens the door, and that's what really matters. I anticipate making G+ or LL$ selections for people will map to them, and you could still scan the band for entry.

GimpYancIent

MBs will still work, you just can't plan with them. As such they can't pretend that's the most important thing anymore. When I want to pay with MB cast members almost seem confused these days.

However, it still gets you in the ride queues and still opens the door, and that's what really matters. I anticipate making G+ or LL$ selections for people will map to them, and you could still scan the band for entry.
MB's perform all the necessary functions Guests need w/o batteries or recharging. Important to Disney MB's can be linked to credit / debit cards to charge stuff, yep $$$$$. Oh, by the way people like to collect them! Further eroding the fabricated bunk sales pitch for Genie, Genie +, LL's etc.

John park hopper

MB's perform all the necessary functions Guests need w/o batteries or recharging. Important to Disney MB's can be linked to credit / debit cards to charge stuff, yep $$$$$. Oh, by the way people like to collect them! Further eroding the fabricated bunk sales pitch for Genie, Genie +, LL's etc.
Remember you ca use MB from previous trips--they last several years

Waters Back Side

Having never used magic bands, we were planning to purchase just to have the tracking feature. One could presume this function will be eliminated, based on recent developments. I’d hope an option remains for those children who don’t have phones.

We always use MagicBands. Its better for us since with 3 kids not having phones it can be used to track them. And they can also get back into the resort room without a phone in case they went to get food or the pool or arcade etc. Another perk we had taken away since our last trip. Now it'll be 10 dollars for each of them.

John park hopper

We always use MagicBands. Its better for us since with 3 kids not having phones it can be used to track them. And they can also get back into the resort room without a phone in case they went to get food or the pool or arcade etc. Another perk we had taken away since our last trip. Now it'll be 10 dollars for each of them.
Use your olds ones it costs nothing

pdude81

Or, you know, the MB data wasn't able to be used because of a systemic issue that was only discovered recently. Hypothetically speaking, of course.
I wonder if this has to do with the issues we've been having using older MBs to open doors lately or enter parks. Seems like they are linked to us, but old tickets and an old system. Very strange.

lentesta

Premium Member
I suddenly imagine a gigantic database poisoning because of sensor errors lol.
👆

I wonder if this has to do with the issues we've been having using older MBs to open doors lately or enter parks. Seems like they are linked to us, but old tickets and an old system. Very strange.

The ticket system was recently replaced - like in the May/June/July/August timeframe. I think that had a lot to do with recent wonkiness with tickets and MBs.

Chip Chipperson

I suddenly imagine a gigantic database poisoning because of sensor errors lol.

Like how I got 2 PhotoPass pictures from Haunted Mansion sent to my MDE account on my last visit in May - neither of which were of me and my wife. We never did get the picture of us. I also once got a Splash Mountain PhotoPass picture of an empty ride vehicle a few years back. Maybe I'm a vampire and don't know it.

Missing20K

Just another layer of reassurance taking small children to the park with each having a magic band. Seems more fun for them too, being it will be their first trip. Let them choose a fun print, build excitement, help open doors and get into lines, etc. If I remember correctly, didn’t they “activate” various items in the parks/queues? Does that still happen? Or did it ever?

We also wanted them in case they need a break and one of the adults not on our room reservation wants to take them.

Waters Back Side

Just another layer of reassurance taking small children to the park with each having a magic band. Seems more fun for them too, being it will be their first trip. Let them choose a fun print, build excitement, help open doors and get into lines, etc. If I remember correctly, didn’t they “activate” various items in the parks/queues? Does that still happen? Or did it ever?

We also wanted them in case they need a break and one of the adults not on our room reservation wants to take them.

I thought I heard something about that also. But I'm not sure.

We find them, just like you another level of assurance. A couple of the resorts they know like the back of their hand and our oldest who is 14 will go with my other 2 sometimes to the food court or if one wants to get something in the room while we are at the pool or whatever it always worked well for us.

LorangeJuice

I think most people will pick and choose when they use genie+ I think most agree it’s not really necessary in Epcot or Animal Kingdom. Depending on day of week you could probably skip using it at MK too. I think more people will use IAS then we think, but I think there will be a large majority that turns their back on it completely. As far as test track, I still don’t understand how that’s a headliner. Such an overrated ride. I’m curious to see what they do with annual passes, I almost feel like they need to include genie+ for APs or deluxe guests. I just think It needs to be included somewhere. Kind of to create buzz about it. Make people feel like they’re missing out on something. Otherwise I think genie+ and Bob chapeks time will be very short lived.

How EPCOT isn't starting out with Frozen and Soarin' is beyond me. You have one of the most popular IPs on a low capacity ride with the most potential for parents to pay to prevent disappointment. Then, you have everyone and their mom's favorite ride that was so popular, they spent money on a third theater. I'm not for this system at all, but these are the only two EPCOT attractions I'd shell out for. I don't even see the need for Genie+ there, but maybe that's the reason for Test Track being Lightning Laned, so people will buy it to ride Frozen and Soarin.'

EPCOT-O.G.

How EPCOT isn't starting out with Frozen and Soarin' is beyond me. You have one of the most popular IPs on a low capacity ride with the most potential for parents to pay to prevent disappointment. Then, you have everyone and their mom's favorite ride that was so popular, they spent money on a third theater. I'm not for this system at all, but these are the only two EPCOT attractions I'd shell out for. I don't even see the need for Genie+ there, but maybe that's the reason for Test Track being Lightning Laned, so people will buy it to ride Frozen and Soarin.'
We went during the biggest lull in the pandemic and rode Soarin' 8 times in one day. Walk on each time. It was glorious.

Waters Back Side

It seems they did the 2 per each park that were always the longest lines to start. And Soarin and Frozen are not as long of a line as Test Track is. Despite the low capacity.

Cesar R M

👆

The ticket system was recently replaced - like in the May/June/July/August timeframe. I think that had a lot to do with recent wonkiness with tickets and MBs.
Speaking of Which. Its my imagination or we're getting back to when My Magic started?
Anyone remembers those long disruptions of service? Been noticing that a lot lately. Including pages just stuck in loading screen for forever.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Except they've already built it and if they plan to use the NFC, they'll still need it.

This is a good point.

So maybe they continue to sell Magic Bands because they generate revenue and effectively costs them nothing to support on the existing infrastructure they need to maintain anyway, 🤷‍♂️
The Radio network and listeners is not the same as the NFC infrastructure.

There is a fundamental delta here… giving everyone a beacon, listening to locate them… verse simply having the beacon directly telling you everything you want to know autonomously. The first requires compute, specialized apps, specialized infrastructure and paying for every beacon.

the second just requires wifi and ‘big data’. Once you get over the support/lifecycle concerns of the byod devices… it becomes almost an uphill fight to not do it this way. They have the “killer app” guests will be using with insanely high penetration rates. They are set…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom