Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Waters Back Side

I never was a star wars nut. I get the appeal for it. I have no issues with it but I'd be more upset if I missed out on MMRR or Slinky on my previous and future trips. FOP on the other hand is in incredible ride. When I go I just want to to get in Remy just to experience it once. I'll do Rise. Why not? But it's not on the top of my list.

Last edited:

ctrlaltdel

Sorry if this has been answered, but do we know if there is specific return time (or choice of return time) for IAS passes?

In terms of how Genie+ will practically work I'm gonna guess that at 7 AM everyday there will be a mad-dash to book anything popular.

Probably will have to try for a BG then/or book your free LL first (to get as early a return time as possible), and then see if you want to pay for an IAS LL (since these will be the "least popular", though maybe I'm overestimating demand), all in a relatively short amount of time.

If you utilize rope-drop with a LL and 2 IAS, you will likely be able to get a lot of the headliners (4-5) done early on very quickly.

Waters Back Side

Sorry if this has been answered, but do we know if there is specific return time (or choice of return time) for IAS passes?

In terms of how Genie+ will practically work I'm gonna guess that at 7 AM everyday there will be a mad-dash to book anything popular.

Probably will have to try for a BG then/or book your free LL first (to get as early a return time as possible), and then see if you want to pay for an IAS LL (since these will be the "least popular", though maybe I'm overestimating demand), all in a relatively short amount of time.

If you utilize rope-drop with a LL and 2 IAS, you will likely be able to get a lot of the headliners (4-5) done early on very quickly.

You can choose your time for the IAS's (subject to availability) . Starting at 7am for resorters. When Park opens for everyone else. Genie +s are next available starting at 7am for all.

Based on the price being tossed around I do not see the IASs not selling well.

Last edited:

brettf22

Premium Member
As others have also said, one of my big worries is that Disney could artificially inflate wait times to push people in to purchasing LL passes. I know @peter11435 and others have said they don't artificially inflate wait times. But if that is so, is there a good explanation why @lentesta's Touring Plans crew can show, with real data, that posted wait time are consistently higher than actual? I'm genuinely curious.

peter11435

As others have also said, one of my big worries is that Disney could artificially inflate wait times to push people in to purchasing LL passes. I know @peter11435 and others have said they don't artificially inflate wait times. But if that is so, is there a good explanation why @lentesta's Touring Plans crew can show, with real data, that posted wait time are consistently higher than actual? I'm genuinely curious.

Over posting wait times is not the same thing as artificially inflating actual wait times.

Chip Chipperson

I think they do the best they can using real-time data. There's a difference between estimating what a wait time is and reporting what it was. I have stood in plenty of Standby lines that were as long or longer than the posted wait time, so I don't think there is any malicious intent when they get them wrong.

brettf22

Premium Member
Over posting wait times is not the same thing as artificially inflating actual wait times.
I get what you're saying. But that's a fairly subtle (if any) difference. Since I haven't seen the red FLIK cards in a while, I'm guessing they are using MagicBands and/or some other technological way of estimating standby times, correct? I would think these methods would be much better at estimating than the FLIK cards, since the cards told you what the wait *was*, not *is* (e.g. if the posted wait is 30 minutes, that means the wait was 30 minutes ... 30 minutes ago, and could have changed).

So are they just really that bad (sometimes 20-50% off) at estimating wait times? Or, to use your nomenclature, if they "over post wait times," what would be the reason for doing so? Again, I don't want to ascribe malice of intent. I'm just curious about rationale.

DCLcruiser

I've been handed the "lanyard of time" on many occasions in order to update the Wait Time on a ride. So, they are trying to adjust the posted time for accuracy.

Now, does that mean they don't leave a long time up if they are trying to inflate the popularity of a new ride? Nope. I'm sure they do that too.

DisneyDodo

There’s no question that Disney often intentionally posts misleading wait times for the purpose of manipulating guest behavior (e.g. overestimating wait times at the end of the day to prevent too many guests from queuing up right before park close).

The claim that’s being debated is that they sometimes purposefully underutilize ride capacity for the sole purpose of making wait times actually longer. Without an explicit statement of intent, I don’t know how we’d ever know the answer to that though, since reducing capacity will always bring down costs, so their intent could always be attributed to that.

UNCgolf

I've been handed the "lanyard of time" on many occasions in order to update the Wait Time on a ride. So, they are trying to adjust the posted time for accuracy.

Now, does that mean they don't leave a long time up if they are trying to inflate the popularity of a new ride? Nope. I'm sure they do that too.

I assume they always want the posted wait to be 15-20 minutes longer than the actual wait for guest satisfaction reasons. It's psychologically useful.

DisneyDodo

I get what you're saying. But that's a fairly subtle (if any) difference. Since I haven't seen the red FLIK cards in a while, I'm guessing they are using MagicBands and/or some other technological way of estimating standby times, correct? I would think these methods would be much better at estimating than the FLIK cards, since the cards told you what the wait *was*, not *is* (e.g. if the posted wait is 30 minutes, that means the wait was 30 minutes ... 30 minutes ago, and could have changed).

So are they just really that bad (sometimes 20-50% off) at estimating wait times? Or, to use your nomenclature, if they "over post wait times," what would be the reason for doing so? Again, I don't want to ascribe malice of intent. I'm just curious about rationale.
Even without the cards or MBs, they could probably get a pretty accurate estimate of wait time just by seeing where the line ends. It certainly wouldn’t be exact, but close enough to be useful.

Waters Back Side

I haven't caught up yet so maybe someone has already mentioned this but didn't they point out this is all going to be integrated?

All Disney IT jokes aside, Genie will already know you have an ADR and could just not show you conflicting times or show them but give you a warning. There are a number of ways they can prevent this from happening if they so choose. Will they? Who knows, but if it isn't included and becomes a regular problem, I bet they would add it.

I'm more worried the first ride at 7am you pick only gives you once option of the first and earliest available and its too early. Then later I try for it again and lose out. Yes, Genie is supposedly able to change or adjust your dining reservation but within reason. I doubt it can do that for those harder reservations like BOG or Ohana.

ImperfectPixie

There’s no question that Disney often intentionally posts misleading wait times for the purpose of manipulating guest behavior (e.g. overestimating wait times at the end of the day to prevent too many guests from queuing up right before park close).

The claim that’s being debated is that they sometimes purposefully underutilize ride capacity for the sole purpose of making wait times actually longer. Without an explicit statement of intent, I don’t know how we’d ever know the answer to that though, since reducing capacity will always bring down costs, so their intent could always be attributed to that.
I would consider not using all available tracks and the like on a day that sees 60+ minutes waits for the attractions that have the ability to cease using capacity purposely underutilizing ride capacity.

Ayla

How do you know the dislike is about Genie+ and not about how the host is going on and on with nothing but negativity about something they have never used and complaining relentlessly that it's the worst thing that has ever happened and ruining the park experience, all without even catching their breath. The near breathless nature of many of these YouTube videos done by people who have barely read the limited bit of information released by Disney just to rush and be first with something they don't even understand is insanity. I saw one last week where the host was actually getting out of breath they were so worked up about it even though they admitted they hadn't even read all the materials released so far about the program. If this brings that much angst to your life it really is time to find something new to focus your time and energy on.

As I've read, watched and listened to the sometimes almost irrational complaining about this I'm reminded of the insanity that surrounded the introduction of MM+. Except now the new social media world cranks it up to 11+. The reality is, the obsessed so-called Disney fan has learned to 'optimize' their use of the old system for their personal advantage and they HATE CHANGE with every fiber of their being. They don't like the fact that they'll no longer have an advantage over those 'day guests' who don't know what they're doing. No matter what changes, there are 3 weeks of relentless complaining, no matter how inconsequential it is. When you complain about absolutely everything, it stops having real meaning.

Is this a different way of experiencing the parks from what we've had the last decade or more- yes it is. Is it a surprise that they are now charging for something that used to be included with admission- No it's not. Is this going to be the straw that breaks the camels back and nobody will visit WDW any longer- No, it isn't. The usual suspects will whine and whine and whine for weeks on end (even if they aren't going to be visiting the parks for a year) and then the dust will clear, we'll all get the opportunity to actually use it and develop real perspectives based on experience. Everything I keep reading now is from those who feel compelled to think for days to develop the most complex edge case and show how that person is going to be disenfranchised by this system. But nobody has actually used the tool and associated service.

Guess what, if this is the horrible nightmare that some of you are calling it out to be, and nobody wants to pay for it, and people stop going to WDW because of it then Disney will change. But the reality is, this distortion field so many here live in that their opinions represent the entire world is simply a false reality. If attendance drops as a result of this Disney will make changes, but history has taught us that the so called 'fans' don't actually change their behavior, they just like to have something to complain about.
It was a Disney video, produced, edited and distributed by Disney on Walt Disney World's youtube channel. LOL

Dranth

Walk me through this scenario - I really don't understand how it's supposed to work.

I'm in Liberty Square. I have 5 attractions in my to-do list: 7DMT, Space, Splash, BTMRR, and Pirates. All of the waits are above average because it's 3 pm on New Year's Eve.

What does Genie tell me to do, and when does it want me to do it?
Trick question. You are already on Disney's list so likely you will just get an image of Genie indicating that you are number one in a very special way.

Other people will get some kind of optimization that attempts to get some or all of those rides based on what is likely best for the park operations that day and not the actual customer.

DisneyDodo

I would consider not using all available tracks and the like on a day that sees 60+ minutes waits for the attractions that have the ability to cease using capacity purposely underutilizing ride capacity.
Right, but is it simply a cost-saving measure or do they actively want the lines to be long. Reducing capacity would meet both goals.

peter11435

Yes. But they don’t do that intentionally to create those wait times.

And if an attraction is operating with a 60+ minute wait and not all “tracks” are being used, it is highly unlikely that is intentional.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom