Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The giant PR mistake Disney made was the individual attraction purchases. This would have gone much smoother if they had left that part out.
Dude…that’s the whole damn point of this!! It’s not to make you happy for fixed fee.
Just remember how many people defended ROTR boaridng groups on this very board. Remember its so neccessary due to demand and capacity. Well when it becomes the norm....
They currently aren’t answering the phones in that complaint department.

What is Stagnant build out adding almost no capacity to the parks for 10+ years for 1000$ alex
…You can pick any prize from the top row…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney was the last holdout NOT charging.

We’ve known this was coming for well over a year. All things considered the fact you can keep most of your “cost-free perk,” despite it having been mostly a shell game wherein you skip the waits for a couple rides but make up for that gained time in barely moving standby lines, for $15/day, is pretty decent. Especially when you don’t have to decide what you want to do 60+ days out.

Ask anyone who used MaxPass, they felt it was well worth the cost.
Agree about maxpass…but this won’t be it. Modeled in design…maybe…but that was basically ride as much as you want (based on availability)…this is not.
Until you face the reality that there was no reason at all to charge for it beyond 'because they can' -- I mean the company was already giving the functionality away at WDW. Disney threw in photopass to justify the price - but you all know you were buying it for digital fastpass... which was free elsewhere.
👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

TrojanUSC

Until you face the reality that there was no reason at all to charge for it beyond 'because they can' -- I mean the company was already giving the functionality away at WDW. Disney threw in photopass to justify the price - but you all know you were buying it for digital fastpass... which was free elsewhere.

Right but compared to running around grabbing FPs all day, the $15 was a steal, especially in a world of $6 Cokes and $10 hot dogs. Especially when you factored in they’d shave 30 mins off the return time.

cslafferty

The giant PR mistake Disney made was the individual attraction purchases. This would have gone much smoother if they had left that part out.
And SO many freebies taken away and price increases in a very short time:
Magical Express
Extra Magic Hours
MNSSHP to Boo Bash
MVMCP to Very Merriest
Genie+ and IAS
And we don’t know about shows or character meet and greets

“Welcome back from the pandemic! Now take out your wallets and show us how much you really missed us!”

kateem

Maybe. I'm not convinced the demand for the IAs will be there.
A slightly contrarian view: I can only speak for myself, but for me time is much more valuable than anything else. I have never ridden FOP or ROTR because of the time investment required (and the hassle). I will most definitely pay for those two (and a amount much higher than I've seen mentioned ;) ), but it will be once and done. It would be interesting to know how many are in this same category, and whether prices drop quite a bit once we are all through our "one and dones."

OTOH, I don't see us doing the $15 thing because we don't really go on many rides anymore, and don't really miss them.

CaptainAmerica

Magical Express
Extra Magic Hours
MNSSHP to Boo Bash
MVMCP to Very Merriest
Genie+ and IAS

“Welcome back from the pandemic! Now take out your wallets and show us how much you really missed us!”
Extra Magic Hours were not cut. 30 minutes every day at every park is MORE than one hour in a single park, with the added benefit that it's not going to draw disproportionate crowds anywhere in particular.

CaptainAmerica

A slightly contrarian view: I can only speak for myself, but for me time is much more valuable than anything else. I have never ridden FOP or ROTR because of the time investment required (and the hassle). I will most definitely pay for those two (and a amount much higher than I've seen mentioned ;) ), but it will be once and done. It would be interesting to know how many are in this same category, and whether prices drop quite a bit once we are all through our "one and dones."

OTOH, I don't see us doing the $15 thing because we don't really go on many rides anymore, and don't really miss them.
Completely the opposite for me. I'll probably buy Genie+ every day and NEVER do an individual attraction purchase.

matt9112

Disney was the last holdout NOT charging.

We’ve known this was coming for well over a year. All things considered the fact you can keep most of your “cost-free perk,” despite it having been mostly a shell game wherein you skip the waits for a couple rides but make up for that gained time in barely moving standby lines, for $15/day, is pretty decent. Especially when you don’t have to decide what you want to do 60+ days out.

Ask anyone who used MaxPass, they felt it was well worth the cost.

Why do people keep comparing it to max pass....they had a free level of fastpass still....max legit was just app vs walking around. This is not. Comparable because there is no free option left.

matt9112

Extra Magic Hours were not cut. 30 minutes every day at every park is MORE than one hour in a single park, with the added benefit that it's not going to draw disproportionate crowds anywhere in particular.

It may seem like more but its actually alot easier for thdm to staff (most of those employees are already there) vs adding hours. Furthermore its less good for the actual guest. Even if its every day at every park. The tangible benefits for a resort guest is less. Period. No if ands or buts.

cslafferty

IMO 30 min is barely enough time to walk from the gate to one attraction. By the time you’re done with that you might be able to get into one other line. I’m thinking more about the 2 extra hours after closing, which is now only for those staying at the deluxe resorts instead of all Disney resort guests

TrojanUSC

Thats like saying its like fastpass +....similar. its misleading...its acting like look nothing has changed. Yet there was still an entire regular fastpass system in DL.

It has been understood for several years now that free FP+ was going away. It had become a cumbersome burden and there was too much money on the table. Until a week ago, if someone laid out Disney's options as:

1) A MaxPass-type system for almost every ride rides that will cost $15/person, with only a small handful of attractions costing extra.
2) Pay-per-ride for every attraction.
3) $200-300/day add on like Universal

I'd venture that most people would have easily picked #1. Now that it's here people are upset over Disney implementing, by far, the cheapest option they had on the table.

Last edited:

DisneyDreamer08

Magical Express
Extra Magic Hours
MNSSHP to Boo Bash
MVMCP to Very Merriest
Genie+ and IAS

Can we add full mousekeeping to this list? I wouldn't be surprised if it is kept modified forever because "that's what the guests want".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom