Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

G00fyDad

You can choose up to 2 a day (there will only be 2 in each park). They would be separate purchases. IF the high end is $24 dollars per person, then that's what you'd pay for the ride. IF you want to actually buy the 2nd one the same day its another $24 for person.
Thank you. That was extremely confusing to me. So if I'm buying both of the attractions then it's $48 total per person per day.
I know I'm making this more confusing that it really is. 🤯

Waters Back Side

Thank you. That was extremely confusing to me. So if I'm buying both of the attractions then it's $48 total per person per day.

Correct. IF that is the price. Based on the same sources that rumored about paid FP, the range will be $4-$24 per person based on the ride, park and time of year. That price by the way will hurt Disneys sales of VIP Tours for rides. $24 for Rise and Remy is not a bad deal (forget the aspect that it was previously free).

I am a party of 5. So it will be $120 per IAS. Ill be there New Years week so you can bet it will be the high end price. If I want both Genie + and IAS for the same day it will be $195. the MK days I do not intend to purchase either of the two IAS rides.

G00fyDad

And thank you to those of you who answered my IAS question. I'm a moron. It's right there in Disney's press release about it. I just assumed it was an acronym somebody here created to describe the new system.

Face Palm GIF by Captain Obvious

SteveAZee

I would guess someone's pointed this out already, but if so many people on this board are confused and unsure about how to work the new system, it seems pretty obvious most run-of-the-mill people visiting WDW are never going to get it or use it properly. The learning curve seems steep. Perhaps the hope is that Genie will be adopted by nearly everyone and it will educate/coerce guests into the $ based features.

CaptainAmerica

It's not going to be $24 on any kind of normal basis. Think Rise of the Resistance on May 4th. Tron on opening day. Christmas. That sort of thing.

G00fyDad

Correct. IF that is the price. Based on the same sources that rumored about paid FP, the range will be $4-24$ per person based on the ride, park and time of year. That price by the way will hurt Disneys sales of VIP Tours for rides. $24 for Rise and Remy is not a bad deal (forget the aspect that it was previously free).

I am a party of 5. So it will be $120 per IAS. Ill be there New YEars week so you can bet it will be the high end price.
I'm going to have to watch our week that we plan to go next year in November for this November to see what it might be. It's supposed to be one of the slower weeks but it's also during their Christmas time stuff so I don't know what they're going to charge for those two rides. I'm just going to plan on the high end and hope for the best.

CaptainAmerica

I would guess someone's pointed this out already, but if so many people on this board are confused and unsure about how to work the new system, it seems pretty obvious most run-of-the-mill people visiting WDW are never going to get it or use it properly. The learning curve seems steep. Perhaps the hope is that Genie will be adopted by nearly everyone and it will educate/coerce guests into the $ based features.
Part of the problem is that nobody has actually been IN the app.

It's a lot easier to show someone a piano than describe a piano in the abstract.

G00fyDad

Maybe not. I feel like an idiot because most of the things I've asked questions about are right there in front of me. I'm just so exhausted right now I'm not seeing them.

CaptainAmerica

I'm going to have to watch our week that we plan to go next year in November for this November to see what it might be. It's supposed to be one of the slower weeks but it's also during their Christmas time stuff so I don't know what they're going to charge for those two rides. I'm just going to plan on the high end and hope for the best.
Just to be very clear, you *do not have to* pay to ride these rides. Everything will have a standby line, except for RotR and Ratatouille, which will have free boarding groups.

Many are guessing that Tron and Guardians will also use boarding groups initially. Others are speculating that Rise of the Resistance may be opening its standby line in the near future.

G00fyDad

Just to be very clear, you *do not have to* pay to ride these rides. Everything will have a standby line, except for RotR and Ratatouille, which will have free boarding groups.
I know. But I have back issues and knee issues and standing in very long lines is not an option for me. I don't want to have to use the DAS system so I will be waiting in line like everyone else. However, if I'm able to purchase a quicker and shorter wait then I'm going to. Especially since this is our last trip to Disney. I hate to be part of the problem but I might as well just go ahead and do it.

DCLcruiser

So, how many rides have “standby lines” that could be manipulated such that it would make you consider paying the up charge into the Genie stuff??
Why would you need to be manipulated? $15 for Fast Pass (LL). You Fast Pass every single ride possible and sprinkle in standby while you wait for your next FP.

The only question is will we use IAS. That depends on how important the ride is to you vs. the time to stand in line or the potential for a BG.

Genie+ is a given, every single day. IAS, will be a game time decision.

Waters Back Side

Here is my trip...I planned it out already and know the exact price (assuming the prices doe not change and are accurate)

12/27 - HS day ($195)

IAS - $125 for Slinky
LL Genie + first choice - MMRR
2nd choice - Toy Story Mania
3rd - TBD

12/28 - Epcot ($195)

IAS - $125 for Remy (if I cannot get lucky with a Boarding Group)
LL Genie + Frozen
2nd choice - TBD
3rd choice TBD

12/29 - AK ($195)

IAS - $125 for FOP (the other IAS in this case is Safari)
LL Genie 1st choice Navi River/Everest
LL Genie 2nd choice Navi River/Everest
LL Genie 3rd choice TBD

12/30 - MK ($75)

IAS - None
LL Genie + 1st choice Splash Mountain
LL Genie + 2nd choice Big Thunder
LL Genie + 3rd choice Jungle Cruise
LL Genie + 4th, 5th etc(if I have the time) TBD

12/31 - Resort day (i want nowhere near the parks on NYE)

1/1 - MK ($75)

IAS- None
LL Genie + 1st choice - Haunted Mansion
LL Genie + 2nd choice - PIrates
LL Genie 3rd choice (TBD)

1/2 - HS ($195)

IAS - Rise of the Resistance (if I cannot get a Boarding group)
LL Genie + first choice - Smugglers Run
LL Genie + 2nd choice - RNRC
LL Genie 3rd choice - Tower of Terror

1/3 Epcot ($75) - this one could change if we choose to do Test Track on our last day which is an IAS

IAS (none)
LL Genie + first choice - Soarin
LL Genie + 2nd choice - Spaceship Earth
3nd choice - TBD (Nemo, FIgment, LWTL, Space)

Total - $1005 I need for this to work

Obstacles I face - will I have to book my 1st Genie + at 7 AM for the first available slot in order to not lose out later.
Also, something always occurs where things do not go exactly as planned and I expect for that.

IF The prices are the same and there is the "promised" flexibility that Genie + offers this plan will work.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Here is my trip...I planned it out already and know the exact price (assuming the prices doe not change and are accurate)

12/27 - HS day ($195)

IAS - $125 for Slinky
LL Genie + first choice - MMRR
2nd choice - Toy Story Mania
3rd - TBD

12/28 - Epcot ($195)

IAS - $125 for Remy (if I cannot get lucky with a Boarding Group)
LL Genie + Frozen
2nd choice - TBD
3rd choice TBD

12/29 - AK ($195)

IAS - $125 for FOP (the other IAS in this case is Safari)
LL Genie 1st choice Navi River/Everest
LL Genie 2nd choice Navi River/Everest
LL Genie 3rd choice TBD

12/30 - MK ($75)

IAS - None
LL Genie + 1st choice Splash Mountain
LL Genie + 2nd choice Big Thunder
LL Genie + 3rd choice Jungle Cruise
LL Genie + 4th, 5th etc(if I have the time) TBD

12/31 - Resort day (i want nowhere near the parks on NYE)

1/1 - MK ($75)

IAS- None
LL Genie + 1st choice - Haunted Mansion
LL Genie + 2nd choice - PIrates
LL Genie 3rd choice (TBD)

1/2 - HS ($195)

IAS - Rise of the Resistance (if I cannot get a Boarding group)
LL Genie + first choice - Smugglers Run
LL Genie + 2nd choice - RNRC
LL Genie 3rd choice - Tower of Terror

1/3 Epcot ($75) - this one could change if we choose to do Test Track on our last day which is an IAS

IAS (none)
LL Genie + first choice - Soarin
LL Genie + 2nd choice - Spaceship Earth
3nd choice - TBD (Nemo, FIgment, LWTL, Space)

Total - $1005 I need for this to work

Obstacles I face - will I have to book my 1st Genie + at 7 AM for the first available slot in order to not lose out later.
Also, something always occurs where things do not go exactly as planned and I expect for that.

IF The prices are the same and there is the "promised" flexibility that Genie + offers this plan will work.
You absolutely tiraded about paying for rides…

…and folded like a cheap suit in record time.

The reason I say this is so the explanation is known when you are priced out or the value of paying turns you off from the product.

all empires fall

Jenny72

I mean...I guess...it's not *that* bad, considering all the wretched things it could have been. But this would have been better received if it weren't the latest of a long series of decisions that seem completely tone-deaf, anti-Disney and designed to take the "magic" out of a trip. It's so odd to me how little they seem to care about the optics of all of this, and how ham-fisted this series of decisions has been, as reflected in the social media backlash.

My family always teases me about how pro-Disney I am, and yet my first reaction to this is "&$&! you, Disney." I have never felt like that before. I've never dissected every decision they've made or paid much attention to who's in charge or whatever, but I suddenly just feel an irrational desire for them to fail. Like, what? And the thing is, I'm not alone. A lot of people feel betrayed. I don't understand how one of the richest corporations in the world could fail to handle its PR better than this.

And it could be argued that people who feel betrayed are kind of fools for feeling feels towards a theme park, but those feels are what keep the coffers full. Honestly, I'm just baffled because it seems impossible to me that management could be so blind to the value of what they've inherited.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom