Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

UNCgolf

How much did capacity decrease? I asked for the numbers for New Fantasyland but no one has really provided them.

I'm pretty sure New Fantasyland didn't decrease capacity, since 20K was already closed and wasn't going to reopen. Plus, Little Mermaid is an omnimover with a high capacity count (although the fact that it's almost never busy means the functional capacity probably isn't as high as they were hoping).

EPCOT has definitely had a significant capacity decrease, though, and not just in actual ride/attraction capacity. There's also been a tremendous loss in other areas.

sndral

IMO, it would make more sense to let people purchase it for the day at 7am. That would give people a slight incentive to pre-purchase it as a ticket add-on.

Also, if all the good FPs/LLs on Genie+ sell out in the 1-2 mins (at most) it will take to buy Genie+, they will definitely increase the price of it. Same goes for the Tier-1 LL purchases.
Perhaps long term, but in this transition phase a lot of people have already purchased their tickets to secure park reservations for the fall/holidays - I know my group did & I’m not happy that they dropped this bomb into the equation, particularly since there’s no option to add the G+ now.
How did you manage your FP+s before?
I’m not the person you asked, but back in the day we’d pull a FP, then a couple hours later pull the next, etc.. The machines often ran out mid afternoon & I wasn’t a fan of running around the park to get a FP & then having to return much later to ride.
I liked the FP+ system. We’d make our dinning reservations @ 180 days, @ 60 + length of stay days we’d grab our 3 FPs per day & readjust dinning if needed. So we’d know we could ride our favorite rides w/out long waits because we’d gotten our FPs. We only had to get up at dawn once - 60 days before arrival, not every day (west coast based) because we scheduled our FPs for later in the day. It was never how many rides can we cram in for us, more what do we feel like doing knowing we will be able to do our favorites w/ shorter lines or allocate our time to wait in one tier 1 line knowing that our other tier 1 in that park was a FP.
This new system introduces a lot of unknowns into the situation. First, I’m absolutely not a fan of getting up at 7 am to participate in a lottery - been there done that for ROTR. I’m not a fan of having no clue how my day will unfold - say I plan to buy FOP & KS on AK day - I’ll have no idea when my return time will be until that morning, will the resort bus even get me to the park in time to ride an early LL, will I be able to buy those or will they sell out. Say I buy G+ for my MK day, I won’t know until 7 am what time my first LL return time will be or what ride I’ll be able to get. I won’t know until after that what time my next LL will be & what ride that’ll be- what happens if the only LL I can get for splash is 6 pm, can I delay my ADR a half hour to ride Splash?
I’d like the system a little better if I could pay for my AIS choices before I arrived. I also suspect many would tend to spend more while there w/ advance purchase AIS, It’s one thing to enjoy something you’ve already paid for, but families will be deciding do we want to spend $25 per person for 7Dwarves & skip TS dinning tonight (w/ the obligatory reschedule to beyond the cancellation penalty window before cancelling.)

Last edited:

Unplugged

For ROTR, you can try 2 times a day for a boarding group they say, if not you can purchase to ride the ride.

Where did this extra capacity come from?
SImple.... just like with FastPass, they will reduce the number of riders via the Boarding Groups making it harder to get on. Many (not all, just many) of those unable to get a Boarding Group will buy the Lightning Lane access. Thus, the BG people are happy (assuming it doesn't break down and they do ride), the LL people are content (not happy with paying, but content they got on and feel they stuck it to the "suckers" in the free BGs), and overall Disney makes more loot without actually adding capacity.

Now practically, MANY people who do NOT get a Boarding Group, will NOT pay for LL. However, many who are willing to pay for LL either didn't get a BG or simply "knew" that paying is easier and didn't bother with a BG. So, many peasants like us who tried but failed to get a BG will not ride it that day. Where as that open capacity will be back filled by others who care not of the expense but more so relish in the opportunity to gallantly climb aboard without needing to break a sweat during the 5 opportune seconds of obtaining a BG twice per day.

In the end, the Mouse's cup runneth over in profitability and many of us from upon what was once a great family inclusive place.

Unplugged

I've ridden Rise of the Resistance four times on two trips. It wasn't particularly difficult. I think a lot of the consternation comes from boomers not using their phones properly.
Partially perhaps, but in the case of our day there a few weeks ago, the Disney network was pure that day; kicking people off the network, dropping connections, unable to load pages via Disney Wifi or wireless providers (it all goes to the same data centers), etc. There were people all over the park having issues trying to access reservations they had. Even CMs had problems.

When you push your entire operations to wireless systems, guest experience degrades with technological problems rapidly.

I'm curious how you got on multiple times per trip when the system specifically notified us and others during their trips at different times, that only 1 boarding group is permitted per day per person.

DisneyDreamer08

I’ve been doing my best to keep up with the thread but I apologize if this has been covered.
If I pay the $15/day genie+ business, are there any restrictions on the number of times I can book the same attraction? Can I get Haunted Mansion twice in the same day for example?

dreday3

I’ve been doing my best to keep up with the thread but I apologize if this has been covered.
If I pay the $15/day genie+ business, are there any restrictions on the number of times I can book the same attraction? Can I get Haunted Mansion twice in the same day for example?

I think yes.

So far the only restrictions are for the IAS (upcharge rides). So Rise, Rat, etc.- you can only book two a day and they can't be the same ride twice.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
So Disney loses 10% of people who didn't want to spend much money anyway? (I'm thinking based on their calculations) meanwhile with higher paying, lower crowds they can more easily do a lot of special events, less CM's needed etc.

James Alucobond

What has EPCOT gained or lost in the last 20 years?
Wonders of Life probably constitutes a pretty significant loss. World Discovery in general used to absolutely devour visitors, but everything that is or will soon be there at least feels lower capacity, though I don't know the exact numbers.

It's why it's probably more important than ever to actually properly build out World Showcase and fix Imagination.

UNCgolf

What has EPCOT gained or lost in the last 20 years?

I meant going back to the 90s, not in the last 20 years.

With that said, in the last 20 years, the whole Wonders of Life pavilion closed permanently so that was a relatively big hit to capacity. They've also eliminated a lot of the entertainment in the World Showcase in that time frame. They added Soarin', though, and Frozen Ever After is obviously busier than Maelstrom, so that may be close to a wash overall, but it's hard to put a number on all the additional activities and time people spent in a whole pavilion like Wonders even ignoring the actual attractions inside.

UNCgolf

Wonders of Life probably constitutes a pretty significant loss. World Discovery in general used to absolutely devour visitors, but everything that is or will soon be there at least feels lower capacity, though I don't know the exact numbers.

It's why it's probably more important than ever to actually properly build out World Showcase and fix Imagination.

I think every replacement they've built at EPCOT has been lower capacity than what previously existed. Guardians is far lower than Energy, if only because it's going to last a few minutes instead of 45. It will likely be a functional increase because few people rode the outdated Energy in recent years, but they could have at least built something that was 10-15 minutes long instead of 2 or 3 (to be fair, Guardians could be longer if there's a decent preshow).

Plus, when they switched from World of Motion to Test Track (as one example) they also eliminated a lot of the other pavilion activities that sucked up guests/time. That's harder to measure but has a significant effect overall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom