Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

UNCgolf

I mean for what it's worth though, that just proves what I was originally saying that the parks are underpriced. Attendance is far easier to control through pricing than it would be through additional undefined capacity.

Oh, I've argued before here that I don't think tickets are too expensive -- seem to be in the minority there.

Genie+ and IAS may change that calculation, though.

MrPromey

Spaceship Earth usually isn't as busy as Haunted Mansion -- but it also could have something to do with the ride vehicles/loading area. I don't specifically remember right now, but it's possible that it's easier to load people onto an SE vehicle than a Doom Buggy.
It has the turntable instead of the conveyor belt to walk on. I think you're probably right on your thinking because there is an odd thing about a circle where when spinning, a point on the perimeter is always moving faster than than any point on the inside while the two spots keep pace with each other.

It's one of those things that for those who don't understand the concept, sounds impossible* but in applications like this that gives people a slight edge coming from closer to the center and in addition, they're walking out to the edge and not parallel with the cars so in terms of the cars' forward motion, they are moving slightly more quickly while walking up from the side rather than doing the slightly diagonal thing where the car is usually a bit in front of them already when they are allowed onto the conveyor and have to catch up.

*I think this is actually a partial demonstration of Einstein's special theory of relativity, in a way.

Last edited:

po1998

On a somewhat related note, and I know fuzzy math is screwing up a lot of people, but let me get back to the basics.

Bulldozing an existing attraction and replacing it with two new attractions that have a combined lower guests per hour number than the attraction it replaced IS NOT EQUAL TO GREATER CAPACITY.

I’m guessing TDO is filled with staffers who excelled in fuzzy math. 😂

Patcheslee

Yeah, as a person who thinks 7 AM is too early for booking and completely unnecessary for Disney operations... I don't get why it matters that you can add Genie+ at midnight. It's not going to be a 30 minute process.

The only way it would be a problem is if they were going to sell a limited number and thus could be sold out by 12:15. But that's not going to happen.
Personally I'd say a day before would ease some anxiety, imagine your bank flagging the charge as fraudulent anythime before 7am. I've had it happen at Disney even after notifying my bank I was traveling and when. Hopefully they give the option for on-site guests to charge to their room maybe?

MrPromey

Maybe it's the annoucements. I just feel like HM stops multiple times, everytime I ride it. Buzz just flows, SSE flows.

I've been stopped on all of them plenty of times over the years but Buzz is a much shorter ride so your chances of getting stopped are a lot lower since there are always fewer vehicles/people on the ride and impacted when it does. You've probably been in line many times when it's happened and didn't know becasue you didn't see it stopped.

That said, when it does and you're in a good spot (on the ride) it's like a bonus round! :D

Last edited:

Patcheslee

Definitely. I saw an early leak that ICP (Individual Character Pricing) will be as follows:

$5 per person/per character = Meet character for 1.5 minutes
$10 per person/per character = Meet character, get picture taken
$15 per person/per character=Meet character, get picture taken, you can also keep the picture
$20 per person/per character=All of the above but the character will whisper a secret in your ear
Nah Disney dropped I.C.P. when they ended up being "evil clowns" 🙃

brettf22

Premium Member
There's absolutely NO indication that Individual Attractions purchases are going to have intraday price fluctuations.
I’m not sure they want to get into the intra-day price changing game. When thinking of how they would do this (based on wait time, actual number of people in the park, number of remaining IAS LL passes, or a combination thereof), I realized I don’t think I’ve seen any indication that IAS LL passes are limited. I would assume they are, since a particular time must be selected. But if you can select ANY available time (vs. only the next available time … this process seems to be unclear for IAS LL passes), modifying the price intra-day would be problematic. Users would be “playing the futures” in buying times. Imagine the Guest Relations issue if, at 7am, somebody buys a IAS LL pass for 5pm for $20. Then at 4:30, the price for a 5pm pass drops to $15.

And as noted many times, the whole Individual Attraction Section Lightning Lane pass (IAS LL) is ridiculous.

MrPromey

Premium viewing spots are a bit different than a guest who has been waiting 2 hours in the Florida heat for an attraction, only to be told by me to stand here even longer while I let these other guests cut in front of you.

Trust me, guests get really ugly sometimes at FP merge points.
I remember way, way back during the early days of paper fastpass, a dad nearly punching me after seeing my group go through the merge point which was not very well separated - just the metal railings and no barrier to hide us walking right past the regular line up to that point (even with the cast member there waving us on and holding them back).

I tried to be friendly and point out on the map/brocure what Fastpass was and explain they could use it too for the rest of their day to save time and his wife yelled at me for not "dropping it" - I guess their feelings were hurt for looking stupid after they nearly assaulted another guest over their own misunderstanding. 🙄

DCLcruiser

I think I could live without park hopper for 2 days if I saved $200+. Disneysea is a 1 day experience itself.

anyway
Another thing I was thinking about was how they thought this was a good idea to announce before the 50th anniversary.
The 50th will probably be all Genie+ all the time. They weren't going to wait 18 months to roll this out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom