Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

flynnibus

Premium Member
But is there more value in skipping the line for FOP on a busy Saturday vs. a Wednesday in February?

I know what you are saying - but people are buying the pass because they want to see FoP - not because they really want to have more time in the day. The value primarily comes from how much they enjoyed the attraction.

If you skipped 2hrs of line for $50 and you got the river ride... you'd still be more concerned over the river ride sucked, not 'wow, that $50 was worth skipping that line!'

Missing20K

There's absolutely NO indication that Individual Attractions purchases are going to have intraday price fluctuations.
They only state “day, attraction, and park” so I think you’ll be correct. But it might be $24 for GotG the same time it’s $4 for FoP, and boy you sure could influence guest behavior with such tactics.

“Kids! We can get on Rise for only $8 today! We just gotta hurry up and park hop from MK”

disneygeek90

To be clear, I do not consider this better. I’m trying to understand the position of those who disliked FP+ (I loved it) and who were arguing that a paid system would shorten the standby lines.
Personally, I would have been okay with FP not returning in any form and keeping it as standby only. It's really nice when the lines move constantly.

CJR

I have enjoyed most of the vloggers takes on the subject, especially Brayden and Tom Corless(sp?). My question is, how does everyone feel about Josh D'Amaro now? Is he just playing the role or is he a sellout now?

My thoughts are that this doesn't really relate all that much to Josh. He's in the role now, but this all is stuff he inherited. Josh is doing what he has to as someone employed by the mouse. He's not going to be publicly outspoken against something that his company has been working on for years. This is a Chapek project announced long before Josh received his promotion.

Josh is pretty clearly trying to see the positives in a negative thing. Focusing on how it will help guests who don't pay for Genie+ attractions with the lower wait times.

What he won't admit is that almost all the guests already know which attractions have lower wait times daily and know when the more popular attractions have shorter wait times. Of course the lines are shorter when the fireworks are going off or there's a parade, but they dramatically increase right after those things, assuming the park's not closed. We don't need an app to tell us that. It might help out a first time visitor, but a first time visitor will also mostly likely buy Genie+, especially if they don't on their first day.

DCLcruiser

I suppose I was under the impression that BG were pre-booked whereas the VQ happens when standby closed. But I think I may be confused because it doesn’t appear they will close standby lines irrespective of the length of queue. I think that may be where my confusion lies.

And if there are no IAS rides that day, everything is just LL if you bought G+.

I really shouldn’t be trying to parse this out while working.
I think you are envisioning the future, or perhaps how it is in Paris?

At WDW, for 2021:

Base ticket only = Standby
Base ticket + IAS = Standby, and up to 2 paid high-demand rides (Tier 1)
Base ticket + DG+ = Standby, and an unlimited (one at at time) Lightning Lanes of major attractions (Tier 2)
Base ticket + DG+ + IAS = Standby, Lightning Lanes, and up to 2 paid high-demand rides

Tier 1
RotR = BG/VQ or IAS
Rat = BG/VQ or IAS
Space Mountain = Standby or IAS

Tier 2
Buzz Lightyear = Standby or DG+

Tier 3
Carousel of Progress = Standby

pdude81

It's certainly possible. People don't seem as angry at the Universal Express Pass system. It has a smaller user base so it may be seen as more of an extra that doesn't have the direct impact on non-users that something like FastPass does.

Granted, it also helps that Universal is usually less busy than Disney so wait times are often more manageable in general. Not to mention this is a Disney focused site so people may not be as vocal in their opinions on Universal's system.
I just got back from a combo trip and my first time in Universal in over 20 years... and the theming and structure of the parks are unbelievably different. Both are fun in their own way, but I think Universal doesn't catch flak on theming and upcharges because they never tried to be "better" in that way. Rip Rid Rock-it Seems like it's in 3 lands at one time and can be seen from everywhere. Lockers are everywhere and even the big pay ones have limited capacity. Strollers become almost a hindrance because you'd have to find a place to park them with a new building every 100 feet.

I assume the difference here is that people are used to paying more for the base experience at Disney and just mad that they are now having to deal with more a la carte options. Universal has offered a la carte for much longer and has lower up front costs as well.

dreday3

Anyone know if there's any truth to rumors of the IAS actually starting before Genie and Genie +?

I hope I'm using the correct abbreviation...the upcharge rides...

flynnibus

Premium Member
To be clear, I do not consider this better. I’m trying to understand the position of those who disliked FP+ (I loved it) and who were arguing that a paid system would shorten the standby lines.
Simply put .. there is more than one factor. You can like 3 of the pieces and not the 4th, etc.

And your broad strokes break down when you aren't specific... 'a paid system would shorten the standby lines' - very much depends on how much it's used (pricing and supply).

Here Disney went for the cheap, high attach rate for Genie+... we don't know the target for paid LL... but we do know they've put a very low usage ceiling on it.

So, you gotta face all the variables... not just hang on broad generalizations that ignore the specifics to be 'right or wrong' or really what the person was talking about in their statement. You change the variables - you change the situation.

disneygeek90

I would have hated that. The new system is far from ideal, but in my mind preferable to no system at all.
I got used to it. The lines move, you're not seeing swarms of people pass you by, psychologically it feels better.

As a local I'm not going to be spending $15 for this. Perhaps if I'm with people from out of town or we plan to do a full day, but with no "AP" price it really is a waste of money if you visit more than a couple days each year. And for those that keep insisting it's like Maxpass, it's not. Maxpass had an alternative free version. This doesn't.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It appears Disney does not want its guests to sleep during their visit.

IMO, it would make more sense to let people purchase it for the day at 7am. That would give people a slight incentive to pre-purchase it as a ticket add-on.

Also, if all the good FPs/LLs on Genie+ sell out in the 1-2 mins (at most) it will take to buy Genie+, they will definitely increase the price of it. Same goes for the Tier-1 LL purchases.

You can add Genie+ *starting at 12:00 AM* of the day you visit.

If you plan to get up to grab your first DG+$ LL at 7:00 AM, set your alarm 5 minutes earlier and add DG+$ at 6:55 AM.

I'm sorry about the 5 minutes of sleep loss.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So what about those who don't have smart phones or want to take them on holiday? Are thry going to supply something those to use or just say tough? The wifi better be able to handle all this extra use as not everyone visiting WDW have data usage whilst in the US.

they dont want you there, thats what its coming down to. Play by their rules, pay for it, plan every minute. its all about less freedom and more $ or we dont want you. That's certainly the message they are sending.

How did you manage your FP+s before?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom