Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

doctornick

I was surprised the biggest gripe was needing to be awake at 7 am. :D

I'm on my way to work by 5:30 am and up by 7 on the weekends, so that's probably why it's (the time, not the cost) is not a problem for me. We won't leave the room that early (unless we are rope-dropping somewhere), but I can wake up, make a reservation and have coffee/breakfast at resort.

I get others are different, I was just surprised, that's all.
I’m not even a morning person really but I too am surprised by the griping about 7am. I’m certainly up that time pretty much any day at WDW and it’s easy to just flip out your phone and book something. If you aren’t even up then you probably aren’t making any rope drop (except Epcot these days) and are already behind the eight ball.

Jenny72

I won't go into all the reasons that I dislike this, because it's pretty much been covered, but it's not really the money. I just miss the old Disney. It seems that Disney management views parkgoers with thinly veiled contempt now, which is...not as fun. I think it's partially the tone deaf nature of these rollouts. Hey, you asked to use Uber instead of our free, comfortable, Disney themed bus, so here you go! Enjoy! We listened to you and you told us you preferred to pay for your Fastpass, so you're welcome!

Anyway. I don't have a smartphone (yeah, yeah, I know). Do you suppose I would just be just out of luck here, or will those kiosks work? We used them for Fastpass+ (never a line, haha!) and I guess they can be used for this?

Waters Back Side

Several blogs I just read says for Remy you can only try for a boarding group once a day. Either 7am or 1pm. If you try at 7 and miss out you cannot try again. You can wait until 1pm to try instead of 7am.

Makes me wonder if there will be availability to buy still after 1pm if you do not get in.

MurphyJoe

I won't go into all the reasons that I dislike this, because it's pretty much been covered, but it's not really the money. I just miss the old Disney. It seems that Disney management views parkgoers with thinly veiled contempt now, which is...not as fun. I think it's partially the tone deaf nature of these rollouts. Hey, you asked to use Uber instead of our free, comfortable, Disney themed bus, so here you go! Enjoy! We listened to you and you told us you preferred to pay for your Fastpass, so you're welcome!

Anyway. I don't have a smartphone (yeah, yeah, I know). Do you suppose I would just be just out of luck here, or will those kiosks work? We used them for Fastpass+ (never a line, haha!) and I guess they can be used for this?

Apparently, Disney is actively removing the kiosks. Unless, of course, they've already finished.

UNCgolf

I’m not even a morning person really but I too am surprised by the griping about 7am. I’m certainly up that time pretty much any day at WDW and it’s easy to just flip out your phone and book something. If you aren’t even up then you probably aren’t making any rope drop (except Epcot these days) and are already behind the eight ball.

There are a lot of people who don't care about rope drop. I don't think I've ever been up at 7 AM at WDW, at least as an adult.

You're only behind the eight ball if you want to ride most or all of the attractions, which is also something a lot of people don't care about. There are only certain attractions that matter to me.

With people only able to book one at 7 AM it probably won't be an issue, but it's still an annoyance, especially since there's no reason for Disney to set it at that time. It would be different if there was some clear operational reason where they had no other choice.

Last edited:

TimeTrip

Why is it that people can’t think outside their own experience? We never felt pressured, rushed or locked in with FP+ and always had a fabulous time! I enjoy interacting with my family but I would rather do it relaxing over dinner than standing out in the heat trying to figure out what to do next.
I hope they are. As this is all a zero sum game... What enabled you to experience the park the way you did, cost others the chance the experience as nice of an experience.

I feel like back in the 80s it would have been impossible to experience something like that at MK. You would have had to spend at least an hour and a half to two hours in the park to ride 3 marquee rides in the afternoon. It seems like Disney is trying to generally swing back the other direction, with the caveat that $$$ will now empower folks to get close to the experience you mention on a smaller scale.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Updated Bullet points:

No Genie
  • Show up, get in standby lines
  • Can still use MDE

Genie
  • The app that will plan your day 'for free' by guiding you to your preferred attractions (standby lines) throughout the day.
  • Coming "this Fall" (no, no one knows when exactly, please don't ask)

Genie+ [G+$]
  • Purchasing Genie+
    • Costs $15 per day per guest per day at WDW; costs $20 at DL.
    • G+$ can be bought on a day-to-day basis.
    • If you purchase a multi-day ticket/package, you can add G+$ for the whole stay.
    • APs can purchase G+$ per day on each day they attend.
      • It is unknown at this time if Disney will have an option to pay one price to add G+$ to an AP for every visit (like a Park Hopper Pass can be added).
  • Benefit: Lightning Lanes [LL]
    • G+$ gives you access to Lightning Lanes (LLs, previously, FP Queues), which are available one-at-a-time throughout the day.
      • In this way, you can schedule your LLs like Maxpass in DL or with the old paper passes.
    • Shows you the next available scheduling slot for a slew of rides (with the exception of select 'tier 1' rides) and you pick one, and show up at the time.
    • All guests can schedule their first LL at 7a at WDW. At DL, they can schedule their first LL once in the park.
    • You don't have to be in the park in which your next LL is scheduled (so, you can chose your LL at the resort, e.g., or at another park and then hop)
    • When can you grab your next LL? Book another LL when your return window opens for your current 'open' LL
      • (Possibly: or a new LL in 2 hours [or 90 minutes], whichever is sooner, which is the current DL practice of Maxpass). This needs confirmation
  • Benefits, Miscellaneous:
    • at DL, Genie+$ gives you Photopass and audio tour tracks
    • At WDW, G+$ doesn't give you photopass, but you get augmented reality lens and some audio tour tracks.

Individual Attractions Lightning Lanes $elect Experiences (LL$)
  • Buy up to two Lightning Lane $elections (formerly, "fastpasses") for select rides, which are most likely the old Tier 1
    • The select rides are most likely to be, but not fully confirmed, and can change with time are: Space, 7DMT, Test Track, Rat, RotR, Slinky, Kilimanjaro, and FoP (two from each park)
    • OR... this will be the list: Space, 7DMT, FEA, Rat, RotR, MMRR, FoP, Everest
  • Disney Resort Guests at WDW can purchase LL$ at 7am day-of.
  • Non-resort-guests have to wait until the park opens to buy their LL$.
  • You don't have to be in the park in which your LL$ is scheduled
    • this way, you can chose your LL$ at the resort, e.g., or at another park and then hop
  • You don't have to purchase Genie+$15 in order to buy your one or two LL$ (Lightning Lane $elect Experience). A person looking for rides on Genie (regular, not 'plus') will see a button to *purchase* a LL for select rides.
  • Disney isn't sure what to call this. I guess we'll see which wording Disney will stick with. We've seen:
    • Lightning Lane Select Experiences
    • Individual Attraction Selections
    • Individual Attractions

Virtual Queues
  • Will be found under Genie (regular, not 'plus')
  • RotR and Rat will have them.
  • RotR will no longer have the 1 PM half-day lottery once Genie is active
  • If you miss the VQ lottery:
    • These attractions could possibly wind up with standby lines on slow days, or,
    • you may be able to buy a LL$ for it under Genie (regular, not 'plus')

View attachment 580790

See also...

This might help:

For the new top tier rides (it seems to be 2 per park for now), like 7DMT, you have these options:
  • Standby
  • Purchase a LL$ (Individual Selection Lightning Lane) for some undetermined price for now

For the new top tier rides where are also a Boarding Group VQ (RotR, Rat) you have these options:
  • Join the lottery at 7 AM (free)
  • Purchase a LL$ (Individual Selection Lightning Lane) for some undetermined price for now

For almost all other rides (HM, BTMR, PPF, DINOSAUR, etc..), they have a Lightning Lane (previously called FastPass Queue), and your options are:
  • Standby
  • Purchase Genie+ for $15 per day per person, and you can schedule a LL one-at-a-time throughout the day
Will you be available to explain this to my in laws? I’m tired.

DisneyDefenders

It's time to draw a line.

Sign the petition @ http://chng.it/sVqTkwdJcz and SAY NO TO GENIE+
Say No To Genie+.png

moorish

Several blogs I just read says for Remy you can only try for a boarding group once a day. Either 7am or 1pm. If you try at 7 and miss out you cannot try again. You can wait until 1pm to try instead of 7am.

Makes me wonder if there will be availability to buy still after 1pm if you do not get in.
It says that's not true on the WDW website: "If you are unable to join the morning virtual queue opportunity, you may check for an available boarding group starting at 1:00 PM that day after you have entered the park."

tanc

So OLC (Tokyo) has 4 day tickets for $240 (both parks) with the old fast pass system.

It's hard to believe that you pay twice the price for less of an experience in the country that those parks were founded in. It's an embarrassment honestly, how can a foreign country do Disney better than you?

IanDLBZF

So OLC (Tokyo) has 4 day tickets for $240 (both parks) with the old fast pass system.

It's hard to believe that you pay twice the price for less of an experience in the country that those parks were founded in. It's an embarrassment honestly, how can a foreign country do Disney better than you?
And yet, you can't park hop on 2 of the 4 days.

Casper Gutman

I don’t know if this has been discussed, but this seems like it will have a pronounced effect on the kind of new rides that are built (whenever that might happen). It will incentivize building only rides that can at least give the appearance of warranting an upcharge. Thus the high-capacity, mid-level attractions the parks desperately need in some number will be off the table. Attractions that should fall in that category, like Rat, will be ballyhooed as something they aren’t.

It may even tempt Disney to replace old, non-upchargable attractions like bears -after all, they cost money through maintenance but don’t bring in measurable (which Wall Street loves) amounts - with rides that can be upcharged.

It will also exacerbate the turn towards short rides, since the more rides a guest can fit in, the more chance of up charging or, at the least, making Genie+ look necessary. This focus on short rides seems likely to make capacity issues worse.

It’s pretty bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom