Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Waters Back Side

I was wondering that exact thing. If someone doesn’t get up exactly at 7am, will they still get some decent LL passes? I hope that you’re right bout that, and I suspect that you are.
I can potentially set myself up real nice with HS since I'm going two days and purchasing genie +. I can pick MMRR right at 7am for one day and Smugglers run for the other day. And then I'll have the other rides to choose one at a time.

Brer Panther

Why can't Disney just build state-of-the-art, fun, long, crowd-pleasing rides that also have huge capacities?
Sorry, they're too busy retheming popular attractions like Splash Mountain to actually build new rides to add capacity.

Hey, didn't FastPass+/MyMagic result in the cancelling of some attractions? Like a Monstropolis retheme of Hollywood Land at Disney's California Adventure? I know this probably isn't very likely, but it'd be great if this Genie thing resulted in the cancellation of the Splash Mountain retheme.
Disney is runing a business not a charity.
1629417450981.png

brettf22

Premium Member
Did maxpass release all of its inventory in the morning or did it stagger availability throughout the day?
Regarding passes “replenishing,” here’s an interesting MaxPass feature I had forgotten about.

While passes did not replenish throughout the day, if somebody cancelled one of their MaxPass FPs, it would reappear in MaxPass.

For example, at 2pm, you could look for a FP for HM and see that the next available time was all the way out at 7pm. But at 2:30pm, a group of 4 cancels their 5:30 FP, then those four 5:30FP reappeared on MaxPass. This was another HUGE advantage over paper FP at DL, as these cancelled FP did not reappear at the paper FP kiosks.

So, if Genie+ works the same way, there still could be a component of the FP+ “refresh-refresh-refresh” strategy

Roy G. Dis

TIER 1 REACTIONS+: "Yeah whatever I used FP+ or whatever but let me just say.... I hated this idea for months before it was announced and I knew what it was and I hate it now and I want everyone to know how much I hate Chapek. I'm never going to Disney again but also when I do end up going I'll probably learn how to use it and I'll hate it. "

Approx sample: 1% of all Disneygoers

TIER 2 REACTIONS+: "I liked FP+ when it was free and hate this idea and I'm never going to Disney again and when I do end up going I'll probably learn how to use it but I'll hate it. "

Approx sample: 4% of all Disneygoers

ALL OTHER REACTIONS: "Huh. Sounds confusing. I love Disney though! I'll figure that out later when I go... kinda busy with life right now."

Approx sample: 95% of all Disneygoers

On second thought to think that 99% of Disneygoers don't have an opinion of Chapek is generous. Maybe it's more like 99.9%.

seabreezept813

For those who aren’t mortified by this and maybe have already ridden RotR. Can you say that ride is worth 96 dollars for a family of 4 to ride once? This is the one I can’t wrap my head around, as people are saying that they’ll be gone by 7am…

Waters Back Side

For those who aren’t mortified by this and maybe have already ridden RotR. Can you say that ride is worth 96 dollars for a family of 4 to ride once? This is the one I can’t wrap my head around, as people are saying that they’ll be gone by 7am…
The BGs will be gone by 7am. You'll probably be able to get on later if you purchase. Even ifn it means the price is higher.

Last edited:

CJR

Genie+ itself seems fine; it's basically just MaxPass. The fact that they're sectioning off the top attractions for an additional charge sucks, though (and hurts the value of Genie+), and the 7 AM start time for getting one just doesn't make a lot of sense. I know it's not an issue for some people, but it is for others -- it favors early risers the same way opening them up at 1 AM would favor people who stay up late -- and I can't really think of a good reason to set it at that time.

Another difference from MaxPass is the time you have to wait to get your next one.

Let's say it's noon and the next available return time for Tower of Terror is 4:30pm, which used to happen during the FP years. Max Pass would let you get another FP for something else around 1:30pm. With Genie+, you'd have to wait until after 4:30pm, and after you've reached your scan point in the line. That's IF I'm understanding it correctly.

doctornick

Ignoring pricing talk, I feel insane seeing so many people say they prefer the 60 day window for FP+ and that this is more complicated. saying “it was so easy to get whatever FP you wanted” when the caveat was you just had to constantly refresh the app all the time.

At its core, it’s MaxPass, which I used exactly one time and immediately loved. Being upset about the price, whatever, but the main system itself is good!
Everyone is different. Personally I’d prefer this if I could sign up in advance and pre book all the Lightening Lane passes for my whole stay before I get there. I’d have a much more relaxing vacation knowing that I have a plan in place. Other people prefer more spontaneity. My recent trip without having FP+ and plans was a lot of anxiety for me to not know what to expect.

Disney Analyst

Another difference from MaxPass is the time you have to wait to get your next one.

Let's say it's noon and the next available return time for Tower of Terror is 4:30pm, which used to happen during the FP years. Max Pass would let you get another FP for something else around 1:30pm. With Genie+, you'd have to wait until after 4:30pm, and after you've reached your scan point in the line. That's IF I'm understanding it correctly.

We actually do not know yet, but a lot of people are thinking the 90 minute rule may still apply, or possibly 120 minutes

mightynine

We don’t know officially know yet how quick you can get another G+LL selection.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I am glad to hear this is somewhat similar to Maxpass. This was a huge hit with us when we visited DLR. Granted it included all rides regardless of tier and photo pass. Also this is way better than Fast pass plus.

So:

Not as good as paper fast pass or Maxpass
But not as bad as fast pass plus.

Yeah, I am definitely not as POd as I thought I would be, but with all that being said this is all typical Disney up charging garbage.

I am finally going to vote with my wallet to some extent, as I absolutely refuse to pay for the individual experiences. No one should give them a red cent for that BS.

Last edited:

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Thinking about the coming slate, I don't think there's much risk of that.

MK: Tron will be all-consuming on a scale similar to Rise of the Resistance. Mine Train will be a distant second and everything else will be far behind either of those.

Epcot: Ditto the above, but for Guardians and Rat.

Studios: Rise of the Resistance stands alone. I could see some back and forth between Slinky and Falcon for the #2 slot.

Animal Kingdom: Not much going on at the top of the card besides Flight of Passage. I'd think they're more likely to go to 1 paid than 3.
I don't disagree, unless lots of folks are paying. I have a feeling this is the start. And they will add more to the a la carte option as long as folks are willing to pay. This is incrementalism - let's start with 2 per park, so people without hoppers can still buy 2. Then we add new headliners, and give people the option to buy more, and more, and more....

IanDLBZF

My 2 cents.
We finally get MaxPass, a service which every single West Coast Disney Fan seemed to love pre-pandemic. However, East Coasters have it $5 cheaper than West Coasters. Plus this seems to be cheaper than Universal's 2 Park Unlimited Express Program, costing well over $109.00 per person, per day, as opposed to $15 dollars per per, per day.

hopemax

It doesn't matter if it's good enough. Like I said upthread, I finally got my Dad on RotR in May. I failed at 7AM and I felt so horrible, because I didn't know when he would ever get another chance. I got it at 1, but those hours in between were awful. And that's for my Dad, who has done a lot of things in his life and isn't going to tear up over not riding.

My SIL, when she got pregnant with her first child told us we were responsible for taking her kids to Disneyland. She wants her boys to experience it, but she doesn't want to do it. Now, the oldest is 9 and the youngest is 6, and the family has started talking about going to SoCal for Mother's Day next year, and for us to take the kids to Disneyland. These kids are HUGE Star Wars fans, it will likely be their only trip to Disney, and they think Auntie and Uncle are like Santa Claus and make their favorite things appear out of thin air (we live 1000 miles away from them, and see them infrequently, so I try really hard to really target their likes, instead of lots of gifts, or expensive gifts like other family members). I told my DH yesterday, I don't care how much the upcharge costs, I am not stressing myself out over disappointing these boys, because this trip is 10 years in the making.

And that's what a lot of other people will think too.

Thankfully, we don't have kids of our own we have to worry about pleasing, and this is a "one time only" thing for us. But for Disney, that's all they need.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom