Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

DCLcruiser

I really am wondering why they went with Lightning Lane. It doesn't fit with the Genie nomenclature at all.

Maybe they wanted to get rid of the idea of "Fast" but something that could imply speed or quickness? (Hi, Flash! Oh, wait, they don't own that one.)

Maybe LL could end up being a little longer of a wait than what you had with FP? And yes, I know FP didn't mean you didn't wait.
Lightning Lane

780w-463h_061617_cars-3-easter-eggs-in-the-cars-universe-3.jpg

mightynine

There needs to be a Bob Chapek+ part of the Genie app where you just send Bob your paycheques directly from your employer and he budgets all your families expenses, savings, school lunches etc. and then takes the rest for himself. In return he sends you a customized pre-planned itinerary, booked flights and rooms at whatever hotel he thinks your social class is worthy of.
Disney-Bob-Chapek.jpg

"Hey, can the coding dorks add direct deposit as a payment option in the app?"

wedenterprises

uhh... they just did... they let you pay if you don't want to put in the effort.
And you don't have to be in the park anymore. Set an alarm and go back to bed.

Purposely un-branded. Interesting.

I find all this rather complicated. It'll take all day focusing on the phone to keep track of it all.
I took the day off work. I mean I'm AT work, but I am definitely not doing anything but this.
I really am wondering why they went with Lightning Lane. It doesn't fit with the Genie nomenclature at all.

Maybe they wanted to get rid of the idea of "Fast" but something that could imply speed or quickness? (Hi, Flash! Oh, wait, they don't own that one.)

Maybe LL could end up being a little longer of a wait than what you had with FP? And yes, I know FP didn't mean you didn't wait.
This is really my main beef and what makes it so confusing.
Genie
Genie+
Genie Lightning Lane

GimpYancIent

So, what exactly happened to the whole 'vacation' aspect of going to Disney World theme parks?

All of this sounds like a major headache.

I just want to go to a park, wait in line to go on a ride or wait for a table for food and not have to once look at my phone.

I do that enough as it is.
Exactly! Just want a ride or two then suck down a Dole Whip or two.

AshaNeOmah

If you keep moving the goal posts - yes, the comparisons differ.

The point was, no, not all other express programs work as one-price gets you all.

Samus said "The others charge one flat rate pass for an express on every ride (some for one ride each guest, others unlimited)" which is exactly what Cedar Fair does. Sure, the tier of the pass decides what ride that includes, but surge pricing for an individual ride is nowhere in their business model.

Your comarison to Fast Lane is apples and oranges from the beginning. This is a totally different model.

DCLcruiser

And you don't have to be in the park anymore. Set an alarm and go back to bed.

Purposely un-branded. Interesting.

I took the day off work. I mean I'm AT work, but I am definitely not doing anything but this.

This is really my main beef and what makes it so confusing.
Genie
Genie+
Genie Lightning Lane
Genie is the wizard AI w/in the MDE app
Genie+ is an added function to Genie (allows you to select ride passes)

Lightning Lane is the physical queue used to bypass the Standby Lane. It is the FP Entrance. It isn't a function of Genie, it's just that you buy it's tickets via Genie.

Last edited:

SamusAranX

If you keep moving the goal posts - yes, the comparisons differ.

The point was, no, not all other express programs work as one-price gets you all.
Most do offer that option at one flat rate. That was my point (original goal posts) in that they are tiered, and unlike Disney, you don’t get “capped” out and need to shell out more dough. At Universal you can get the unlimited, as well as Cedar Fair, without being told to cough up 25 bucks for another express ride on Steel Vengeance or Forbidden Journey since you already rode it twice today.

And most other parks, do not attract the level of visits WDW. But they still add enough at a consummate rate, while WDW has been trying to get by with mostly replacements rather then upping overall capacity by a significant amount. Even Cedar Point, which has a very limited space, still finds ways to add new coasters, not just replacements, but they can afford to do so a slower pace, they’re not getting the amount of visitors WDW does.

we can argue until the cows come home, it doesn’t change the fact that even with this system, WDW wants its cake and to eat it too, except this time the customer pays for the extra slices.

Andy Whitfield

Well this is all depressing

I think what annoys me the most is that they are trying to dress it up as them doing us a favour. At least with universals fast pass paid thingy is honest about what it is.

the price point for the tier 2 rides is disgusting as they know most people will feel pressure to go for this.

I dread the price to ride whatever the Star Wars ride is called

I loved my first visit. It was expensive but once I was in the park I was free to run around and just do what I fancy without being glued to my phone screen. Now I have to be glued to my phone probably also checking my bank balance as I go around . Can I afford to go on Tron or should I save the $94 dollars for my party of four to snag a reservation at some, ever reducing quality, character buffet? Or should I just not go? Bob doesn’t care

wedenterprises

Genie is the wizard AI w/in the MDE app
Genie+ is an added function to Genie (allows you to select ride passes)

Lightning Lane is the physical queue used to bypass the Standby Lane. It is the FP Entrance. It isn't a function of Genie, it's just that you buy it's tickets via Genie.
yep, just saying calling the physical lane "Genie Lightning Lane" could have helped. seems disconnected from the whole genie thing.

i'm gonna miss using "Fastpass" as a verb. "i'm gonna fastpass Buzz"

I'm gonna ...genie buzz.
I'm gonna...lightning lane buzz.
I'm gonna Chapek Buzz.

Ok I vote that we use Chapek as the verb for anything that's an upcharge. "did you take mears?" "no we chapek'd it"
"me and my dad chapek'd the mountains at MK all in one night, it was awesome!"

KrzyKtty

I'm pretty sure they went with LL simply because of the branding. It might not match with Genie a whole lot, but at least it is tied to a character 🤷🤷. Or maybe they went that way because this way they get to brand two characters for the price of one 🤣

DCLcruiser

yep, just saying calling the physical lane "Genie Lightning Lane" could have helped. seems disconnected from the whole genie thing.

i'm gonna miss using "Fastpass" as a verb. "i'm gonna fastpass Buzz"

I'm gonna ...genie buzz.
I'm gonna...lightning lane buzz.
I'm gonna Chapek Buzz.

Ok I vote that we use Chapek as the verb for anything that's an upcharge. "did you take mears?" "no we chapek'd it"
"me and my dad chapek'd the mountains at MK all in one night, it was awesome!"
Lightning Lane is like a Lightning Round. It's fast paced (fast pass...hmm). It is universally understood for English speakers.

Genie, however, will be replaced eventually, while LL could remain.

Signage is a lot more expensive than coding.

Patcheslee

Samus said "The others charge one flat rate pass for an express on every ride (some for one ride each guest, others unlimited)" which is exactly what Cedar Fair does. Sure, the tier of the pass decides what ride that includes, but surge pricing for an individual ride is nowhere in their business model.

Your comarison to Fast Lane is apples and oranges from the beginning. This is a totally different model.
Cedar Points Fastlane prices do fluctuate. Saturdays are always the most expensive. Prices start at $159 for unlimited and go up to $249 as of right now. Earlier in the season they were lower.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Most do offer that option at one flat rate. That was my point (original goal posts) in that they are tiered, and unlike Disney, you don’t get “capped” out and need to shell out more dough. At Universal you can get the unlimited, as well as Cedar Fair, without being told to cough up 25 bucks for another express ride on Steel Vengeance or Forbidden Journey since you already rode it twice today.

offer 'an option' - meaning Depending on what you buy. Yes, both Cedar Fair and Uni offer 'unlimited' passes but your original post was:

Differences are:

1. The others charge one flat rate pass for an express on every ride (some for one ride each guest, others unlimited)

Your blanket statement does not apply to 'the others' - it only works for some of the products out there. Tiered and limited uses variations are common attributes of many of the programs - EVEN IF THERE ARE PROGRAMS WITHOUT. The point was the 'industry norm' is not flat rate unlimited use, but offering a range of products.

Yes Disney doesn't offer the same unlimited use pass in what they announced yesterday - but that is not the only offer out there from others.

SamusAranX

Disney isn’t dumb. They’re not going to add a flat rate pass because they know that “customer sees higher flat rate price versus lower ala carte = not going to buy higher option.”

Here is an example and I am loathe to use it.

You walk into Dave and Busters. You see a high amount of tokens or even unlimited for x amount, versus a lower amount for x price. Even though price per token your probably getting a better value on the higher option, you see the lower option and reason it’s cheaper and you will be fine, you don’t need to play that many games. So you get lower options. Then you find those few games you’re just having fun with and want that price so you keep going to reload that card. And in the end….you’ve spent the same amount or even higher then if you had just bought the higher tier upfront.

So sure, WDW could offer an all in one all inclusive unlimited pass like cedar fair or universal for say, 175 a head. But they realize that if you’re going ala carte as you go, there will be those guests who want that second re-ride, short lines all day, and so on. And without thinking, they impulsively hit that purchase icon in Genie, and the end of the day you spent an extra 200 bucks per person without realizing the overall cost.

When people go shopping, they are subconsciously induced to buy the 2.99 box of Cocoa Puffs vs the 4.99 box. Not realizing that per ounce, the 4.99 is way better value and they didn’t really “save” money in the long run.

Last edited:

DCLcruiser

So, our plan for DAK is to rope drop FoP, lightning Na'vi River and then buy Safari for when the lions are awake.

...and single rider EE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom