Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

BaconPancakes

I sure am glad I don't own a smart phone.
Seriously, I do not own one...never have.

Looks like I'll be rockin' the Parks 'old school'....standby only.
Woo!

🎉

Too bad I won't be able to experience any of the newer Attractions, but hey, that just adds to the 'old school' vibe of the day.

-
I never understood the people who brag about not having a smart phone like it’s some badge of honor…. It’s such a boomer thing to be proud of.

jpinkc

I guess I understood it as paying 15$/day doesn’t guarantee fast lane for every ride (like at universal). If you have genie+, you might get a fast lane pass for Buzz but you might not. If they limit the number of fast lane passes, then how is the lane wait 90 minutes? What did I miss?
Its supposed to for Tier 2 rides and lower. Now what exactly is a Tier 2 ride seems to be a point of contention. The problem with this being if Everybody is convinced they can do this and get faster line access then this will become the as long as the old Stand By line which totally defeats its purpose.

EPCOT-O.G.

So for a large majority of the guests, there won't be much of a way to ride virtual cues unless they are willing to pay. If that's even an option.
They've announced it's coming as a paid option. So, yes, ROTR, the ride in which it was highly difficult to secure a BG during low capacity and moderately attended days, is going to have its already small number of available slots reduced and set aside further for premium purchasers.

Oh, and also the guests who cough up for the Star Wars hotel experience.

Waters Back Side

It's even worse than that for the average day guest - there are now FOUR types of rides:

1) Stand by queue only
2) Genie +
3) Pay per ride
4) Virtual queue
1 is self explanatory. You get in stand by line and wait. 4 only applies to 2 rides. So it's really 2 and 3 that someone will really need to figure out as an average guest. And the pay per ride option is for the headliners not part of Genie+..the only thing you need to know that was not the case prior, is you have to pay and you choose an available time. The Genie plus is the one that will require the most adaptation.

Last edited:

BaconPancakes

Like Catch-22, one of the interview questions on the video chat for DAS Advance is if you're excited about the changes brought about by Genie/Genie+/LL. If you answer "yes," you're considered clinically insane and thus eligible for DAS
In all seriousness I wonder how long the video call for DAS farce will last? They really are naive if they think video calls will deter the immoral.

SarahWI

Its supposed to for Tier 2 rides and lower. Now what exactly is a Tier 2 ride seems to be a point of contention.
I must have really misunderstood the announcement. Are you saying with genie+ I can just join a fast lane of any tier 2 ride whenever I want? I thought I had to book a pass using the genie system for a time in the future.

KrzyKtty

They've announced it's coming as a paid option. So, yes, ROTR, the ride in which it was highly difficult to secure a BG during low capacity and moderately attended days, is going to have its already small number of available slots reduced and set aside further for premium purchasers.

Oh, and also the guests who cough up for the Star Wars hotel experience.
And how much do you want to bet that the paid passes go within the first 30 microseconds that follow the virtual cues 🤷. It still means that if your internet didn't work until 7:01 you're screwed.

runnsally

Genie sounds like it will be self-defeating. The value of Touring Plans is that they keep you away from everyone else. If everyone is using Genie, wouldn't they all get the same advice? Unless Disney is intentionally going to screw some guests over for the benefit of others. Either way, doesn't sound all that valuable.
My guess is that a large number of guests (the majority?) will barely touch the genie planning stuff at all. Will just use it as tier 2 Maxpass.

lazyboy97o

I just called Disney and has a discussion on this.
I was told that charging for line skipping service is an industry standard. So.. There it is.
1.5 - 2 attractions per guest per hour as a baseline capacity goal is also industry standard but it hasn’t stopped Disney from spending years and billions to get it as low as possible. All of this complexity to try and make people the right amount of miserable instead of just trying to make them happy.

Waters Back Side

This thing has all the Earmarks of Complete CLuster F&##. There is no way the CM's will be able to manage this when everyone shows up for there Lightning Lane pass under Genie+ expecting a 30 or less wait. Its just renaming the Stand By line and us rubes paying Disney $15 more to stand there. God Forbid with this new system you show up wanting to do Old Fashioned Stand BY.

How are you so sure this is the case? They are calling it the FP replacement. You will get in wuicker then those on Standby and in a different line (lightning lane).

One thing that is interesting though is that all this talk of a standby Pass meant nothing because it does not appear that will be an option. Then again that was a part of DPA which is not the new system coming to WDW afterall.

Gaston's gal

It’s not that you have to wait 90 minutes after the window ends on your first ride. MaxPass’ rule was that you had to wait to get another pass until either you used the first pass, *or* 90 minutes had passed since you *obtained* the pass, whichever was shorter.

For example: If you got a pass at 9am, and the return window was 10-11am, you could get a new pass as soon as you used the pass. So at 10am you checked into the first ride, then opened the app and immediately got a second pass. That second pass’ window was from 7-8pm. Then you have to wait 90 minutes to get another pass. So you get a third pass at 11:30am. And so on.
Ahhh, the good ol’ days. When one person in your party ran from ride to ride to get the paper Fastpasses. I miss those days, even more so right about now😢
If you are not tech-savvy, you are so screwed on this system.

Waters Back Side

Its supposed to for Tier 2 rides and lower. Now what exactly is a Tier 2 ride seems to be a point of contention. The problem with this being if Everybody is convinced they can do this and get faster line access then this will become the as long as the old Stand By line which totally defeats its purpose.

I don't think Disney gives a Rats a** about long lines. Increasing capacity that does not compensate for the amount of entertainment options proves that. Along with the fact, you know as well as I theh were never going to solve the line wait problems completely. Maybe the best they could do is slightly improve it. Not to mention, the paid genie + rides will be a shorter line.

This is about them making money. We care about the line issues. Disney does not.

Waters Back Side

I guess I understood it as paying 15$/day doesn’t guarantee fast lane for every ride (like at universal). If you have genie+, you might get a fast lane pass for Buzz but you might not. If they limit the number of fast lane passes, then how is the lane wait 90 minutes? What did I miss?

I call BS on this. You are paying...you will wait in a shorter line. You might have issues with availability of certain rides for sure but the lines will NOT be nearly as long as stand by.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disability Access Service.
I’m a little appalled this is being brought up so much on the blogoverse since 4 pm. You’re not “getting around it” people…you’re paying for rides. Acceptance is a part of healing.
And always remember, all of this is a comically desperate effort to avoid building new rides and shows.
Always…the one thing that won’t be discussed
Nature, and it's a lot less expensive and significantly less stressful. :)
…says someone who obviously has never had a bear snooping around their camp in Yellowstone at night
1.5 - 2 attractions per guest per hour as a baseline capacity goal is also industry standard but it hasn’t stopped Disney from spending years and billions to get it as low as possible. All of this complexity to try and make people the right amount of miserable instead of just trying to make them happy.
Rides cost money and staff and spare parts…the last two incompetents at the top (and the sad last chapter of the one before)…have spent over 2 decades trying to convince themselves they are optional.

the B of it is the dumb members of of the clientele we are a part of have continually rewarded them for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom