Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

floydbeatle

I don't even know what to think anymore, and I suppose I am the point where I don't care. I feel like the program is straight forward, but at the same time I can't shake the feeling that it is not as simple as Disney makes it out to be. There are so many legitimate questions that I think Disney could have probably planned for and answered in a robust FAQ.

Regardless, at the risk of throwing this whole thread into a dark place, can someone opine whether this iteration of "fastpass" will reduce standby lines? Or maybe a better way of asking is who are the winners and losers? Are there any winners?

Patcheslee

It was clarified that for the “Tier 2” anyone on or off-site can book at 7 am. So there is no advantage. It’s only for the individually paid that on-site gets early access to pay to book.
That just makes me nervous. It's like waking up daily while on vacation to book FP or TS instead of before leaving home. Imagine getting there, waking up early, and planning to book Tier 1 X & Y, but there being no availability.

BaconPancakes

With how people like to flaunt these sorts of things on social media, Disney just has to wait for a good samaritan to report them. No need to ask for proof when people expose themselves.
That will only deter a few random people here and there. The abuse I witnessed last week was insane. Just imagine how much worse it will be once they start charging. Everyone and their dog is going to claim they are disabled.

MurphyJoe

The one at a time tier 2s is still confusing me when you say one at a time. You cant ride two rides at once..so does this mean you can only book one at a time (at 7am?) I thought you can pay 15 and book more then once at 7am.

1 lighting pass and 2 of the premium pay for the attraction passes if you're staying on property at 7am (off property visitors will only be able to book the lighting).

UNCgolf

Not to mention they're like half the price. I like Disney's actual deluxe resorts more personally, but can't argue about the value UO provides. If you're going to do UO, the original hotels are a must. They're still really nice too.

Yes, the difference in cost is a big part of it. I actually think the Royal Pacific is nicer than most of the Disney deluxes, even though it lacks some of the theming that makes me like Disney hotels.

Waters Back Side

It’s not free…you’re backtracking as you process that you won’t have the intestines not to pay more…

…but….it could be “ok”

remember: you thought your room got you front of line…which it does at universal.
For all intents and purposes I pay 15 dollars and get all the 2nd tier rides and Smugglers and MMRR. The only too good to be true aspect is if one might not be available after you do the first one. But I thought all the tier 2s can be selected at 7am. So I'll have to really grasp a better understanding.

dreday3

The one at a time tier 2s is still confusing me when you say one at a time. You cant ride two rides at once..so does this mean you can only book one at a time (at 7am?) I thought you can pay 15 and book more then once at 7am.

All guests can book one of the Tier 2 rides (the regular $15 genie) at 7 am. You can't book 2 at the same time. You have to wait an undetermined (as of yet) time before you can book the next Tier 2 ride.

Resort guests can purchase 2 of the upcharge rides (Tier 1) at 7 am. Off-site has to wait until in park.

From what I understand...

G00fyDad

That will only deter a few random people here and there. The abuse I witnessed last week was insane. Just imagine how much worse it will be once they start charging. Everyone and their dog is going to claim they are disabled.
And there will be plenty of Karen's screaming at the people using DAS without understanding what disability that person actually has and that they're not abusing the system. It goes both ways.

Waters Back Side

1 lighting pass and 2 of the premium pay for the attraction passes if you're staying on property at 7am (off property visitors will only be able to book the lighting).
Okay that explains it. So I cannot pick 2 or 3 or 4 lightning passes as once. So availability even for resort guests after the first choice could be am issue. Thank you

seascape

I will have to lower my pass from Platinum to Gold. Unless they offer a deal for passholders I will never pay for Genie+. We don't rope drop and getting up before 7AM only make sense on the day we want ROTR. As a stockholder I don't mind Disney making more money and since we don't do that many rides the extra money isn't worth it for us. I would consider paying for an occasional fast pass but if you have to pay $15
00 each and then $20.00 for a tier 1 ride, that is crazy for us. We will do a few rides standby like we usually do and shop, eat and enjoy the shows. On the otherhand, this will drive Club 33 membership because that membership comes with fast passes and VIP Tours. Look at it this was, 20 days for two people with Genie+ costs $600.00. Add in 2 fast passes a day at $20.00 each is another $800.00. Two Platinum Plus Passes adds another $2 grand and we are at over $3500 including tax. There are better deals out there. Even just doing a regular tour with DVC and or Annual pass discounts are better. We will still go and have a great time since we don't care about the rides but we are not happy about this today.

flynnibus

Premium Member
With how people like to flaunt these sorts of things on social media, Disney just has to wait for a good samaritan to report them. No need to ask for proof when people expose themselves.

Still not enough to make it worth it to Disney. Disney can't deny services to someone who should have got them because 'bob said joe was faking...'. Joe sues, proves he had merit, Disney loses... doesn't matter what Bob said. This is why it won't happen.

Disney will try to puff their chest, but really they won't challenge people. The system is actually setup to prevent Disney from doing so. So the lowlifes will take advantage.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For all intents and purposes I pay 15 dollars and get all the 2nd tier rides and Smugglers and MMRR. The only too good to be true aspect is if one might not be available after you do the first one. But I thought all the tier 2s can be selected at 7am. So I'll have to really grasp a better understanding.
The problem is they didn’t have the capacity before…If paying the $15 becomes standard…we’re paying to get back where we started

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm ... :) (technically, a lady never reveals her age and a gentleman shouldn't ask)

And it's already been established by my elders on this board that I'm not a "real" fan because I don't get as angry as you all do.
And I don't care. I'm here for information, not approval.:D
Great response. I’m still trying to figure this out, but the major downside for me is having to get up at 7 am to get the times I want. If it turns out that is not necessary, the cost is something we’ll have to consider in deciding whether to pay each day. We sometimes didn’t use the FastPasses we booked because our day turned out differently - paying for them will make this an issue.

Never worry about your vacation decisions not meeting someone else’s approval. Or you can say what you intend to do but talk about how bad it makes you feel and how you’re going to find other ways to give Disney less money. That plays well here.

ctrlaltdel

While I disagree that $24 per single ride is “reasonable”…this could make is a bit more manageable if true
Well, I never said it was reasonable 😛 That being said, and I may get crucified for saying this but if it is indeed a max of $65/day/person (Genie+ & 2 LL Select Passes) for limited line skipping and guaranteed skips on a some of the most popular rides in the parks, that isn’t an insane valuation by Disney compared to what other parks charge for both limited/unlimited skip the line access.

Obviously that’s completely discounting making something paid that was once free/the insane gate prices of Disney compared to other parks. I don’t expect anyone to be happy about this, but I guess you could say my own personal expectations were very reasonably managed.

MurphyJoe

I don't even know what to think anymore, and I suppose I am the point where I don't care. I feel like the program is straight forward, but at the same time I can't shake the feeling that it is not as simple as Disney makes it out to be. There are so many legitimate questions that I think Disney could have probably planned for and answered in a robust FAQ.

Regardless, at the risk of throwing this whole thread into a dark place, can someone opine whether this iteration of "fastpass" will reduce standby lines? Or maybe a better way of asking is who are the winners and losers? Are there any winners?

Winners? Disney.

Possible winners. People who can afford to buy in with 2 additional attractions on top of plus and did their research on how to play the system.

Losers. Ranges from completely to partially. Everyone who isn't purchasing plus to not using plus to its fullest.

tanc

Sad to see magic bands probably dying off, people looking at their phones all day, and paying more to get on a ride earlier. Then rides like ROTR, which are already hard to get on, other people can just pay to get on? lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom