Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

dreday3

And you think that’s cute?
How old are you?

I’m trying to be somewhat level on this and the self justification is already overloading the reactor. 🤯

I'm ... :) (technically, a lady never reveals her age and a gentleman shouldn't ask)

And it's already been established by my elders on this board that I'm not a "real" fan because I don't get as angry as you all do.
And I don't care. I'm here for information, not approval.:D

tagoofy

Since the stupid seems to be an inexhaustible supply with WDW decision these days I have a prediction...

They will roll out the new Genie app and new Genie+ on Oct 1. It will be a disaster (even if you like the idea of this new system, nothing rolls out smoothly at first, just see DLP) and instead of the news being about WDW celebration of 50th, all the news will be about the disaster created by this mess.

wutisgood

The reason maxpass worked well enough at disneyland is the over higher ride capacity per guest that can fit in the parks and the ability of paper fastpasses if you weren't using it.

This might start as a decent service but over time disney will keep squeezing guests by raising the prices and allocating a higher percentage of capacity to the paid options. If Disney is going to make me pay per day for a decent experience at least let me buy the cheap restricted season passes that florida residents buy. This is why I keep spending money at universal.

Rich Brownn

Yeah, well, you've probably also never had a 19 year old who's 9 inches taller than you having a full blown temper tantrum because there's an hour wait for Smuggler's Run, and coming back later is not an option in his mind, nor is single rider's line.

And that is why DAS exists.
You still don't get in right away even with DAS, You get a return time'

Patcheslee

And you think that’s cute?
How old are you?

I’m trying to be somewhat level on this and the self justification is already overloading the reactor. 🤯
It would be a rearrange the vacation and cut costs somewhere else if we intended to use it. Figure 3 adult tickets, normally 10 days with hoppers. Cutting even a day would even out the cost, or cost less depending on the day. Then due to the possible pay-per-ride, adjust again to include what it might cost for that.

rct247

Here's the thing. No one wants to wait in lines, but you gotta do it. Fastpass was a card trick into thinking you had the advantage, but where you saved time, you made up for it elsewhere. Everyone wanted a Fastpass so they had to make it easily obtainable, but then the Fastpass lines were jammed and all the good rides were snatched up quickly. So they gave you the option to plan and have more options, but then it became apparent what attractions were a joke to have Fastpass for, but Guests still fell for it making the standby lines longer when they didn't need to be. Then they got rid of it and everyone wanted it back even though standby lines are moving faster now. So people started to abuse DAS more. We will never get a win-win because nothing will ever be good enough.

So this system does have some great features. Everyone is so against Disney telling them when the best time to ride is, but it is absolutely in their interest to balance out the crowds. Rope drop is a terrible time to ride the headliners unless you are literally the first 300 guests to a ride and most headliners peak from 10am to 1pm, yet people still get in line for them. The app will literally spread the crowds out. The hopefully limited availability will eventually cap the Lightning Lane choices so they don't get bogged down. The pre planning didn't work when you couldnt predict a ride downtime. Day of, hour by hour ensures less backups and headaches. You can't include the "top tiers" in Genie+ because we know from Fastpass+ that there isn't enough to go around and then you would complain you aren't getting your money's worth. More VQs sounds bad, but if it keeps longer lines to a more tolerable wait, that is a win as well. So long as the VQ doesn't book out like Rise. And we know Tron, Guardians, and Remy will have a VQ and will likely book quickly. It's a given, but you can't limit capacity too much because then your APs can't find any slots to go and per Guest spending will need to go up to counter it meaning you get more upcharge services. Hmmm, like Genie+ with Park Pass. More manageable capacity, more per Guest spending, that spreads out crowds because everyone believes only a couple touring plans.

This was inevitable at this point and not all bad. I don't like that I have to pay more, but I understand why. The only true solution is to build more capacity which is one area that are not doing as well at. At the same time, Guests have to be willing to do more than headliner attractions. They have to want to do those Alien Swirling Saucers and those Canada Far and Wides to balance it all out. Society has gotten us here. Look at the first ABCDE ticket books and tell if Guests today would consider those attraction rating today the same. Probably not.

I'm looking forward to the new system and realize this is the evolution. If I had it my way, the parks would look and feel completely different with different decisions and offerings, but for what I see with the average Guest...they had to make compromises and tough decisions to solve the real logistics they have to keep in mind as a business.

Waters Back Side

From the Touring Plans email I've just received:

So does this mean for 15 dollars I can get MMRR and Smugglers Run as well as Terror, Rock N Roller Coaster and Midway Mania? Those are not listed as separate and considered part of genie plus?

You realize this means for 15 dollars I get the two tier 2s and 2 that were previously hediner tier 1s. If that's the csse. Too me that's as good as free.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The reason maxpass worked well enough at disneyland is the over higher ride capacity per guest that can fit in the parks and the ability of paper fastpasses if you weren't using it.

The reason maxpass worked well enough at Disneyland is because it was the same FP they had before! Just digital vs paper pickup.

So it worked 'well enough' because it was the same baseline people had come to expect from the park over the last 15+ years.

ctrlaltdel

It's certainly the least worst case scenario.
Also looking at the Touring Plans article they are hearing dynamic pricing from $4-$24/pp for the LL select attractions. That seems on the relative low end, compared to what was speculated in previous threads The pricing overall seems to trend lower than expected and is limited to only 8 attractions overall, with the caveat being: for now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It would be a rearrange the vacation and cut costs somewhere else if we intended to use it. Figure 3 adult tickets, normally 10 days with hoppers. Cutting even a day would even out the cost, or cost less depending on the day. Then due to the possible pay-per-ride, adjust again to include what it might cost for that.
I’m sure I’ll come up with more upsides…I usually do…

I just carry the bucket and defend Disney until warranted. It’s not productive

CJR

Also at Universal you can get off the ride and immediately get back on. The Universal version (specifically the unlimited one) is significantly better, but that's why it costs far more.

That's also why getting it included with a room at their top end resorts is such a steal compared to Disney deluxe resorts.

Not to mention they're like half the price. I like Disney's actual deluxe resorts more personally, but can't argue about the value UO provides. If you're going to do UO, the original hotels are a must. They're still really nice too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom