Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

jpinkc

The biggest Disney sin is that they have/had Walts huge gift of SPACE!!!! Something Disneyland never will have, and Walt himself said it. They have squandered most of it. Yes they built epcot but again that was a Walt Roy design. Animal Kingdom is really the only park they have built since wdw/epcot. Not counting the waterparks

Touchdown

Cheaper? Yes

More comfortable in wdw? I’d argue the latter.

I don’t think I’ll ever return in February after going in 2018…it was mobbed and they did nothing to adjust to it.

Bad management is standard now
The key to going in February is

That the only winter slow period is the week after MLK through the week before Presidents Day Weekend. Federal holiday weeks are no bueno.

Hawg G

They don’t have the capacity to handle the crowds. There were 1.5-2 hour lines on busy days for rides like pirates, splash and big thunder before fastpass…30 years ago.

That was when they had 25,000,000 less Annual park visitors.

You can say express pass a billion times…but it does not fit this model
Pirates NEVER had a line like that before FP. Maybe Christmas day.

JD80

I went for a week in early December with my family (went in July with the wife) so this is my second time using G+ on a trip.

I think G+ is vastly better than FP+ (and I refreshed) as far as functionality. I can get more rides, better selections and make it work for the way I tour the park. ESPECIALLY with the modify feature. I was there when they turned it on.

Only reason I don't like G+ is the cost. I only had it because I bought it for $15 per day as part of a package before the stopped allowing that.

I had 2 MK days, 2 EPCOT days, 1 AK and 1 DHS. If I had to do my trip over again and pay each day, I'd probably buy it for one of my MK days and that's it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I went for a week in early December with my family (went in July with the wife) so this is my second time using G+ on a trip.

I think G+ is vastly better than FP+ (and I refreshed) as far as functionality. I can get more rides, better selections and make it work for the way I tour the park. ESPECIALLY with the modify feature. I was there when they turned it on.

Only reason I don't like G+ is the cost. I only had it because I bought it for $15 per day as part of a package before the stopped allowing that.

I had 2 MK days, 2 EPCOT days, 1 AK and 1 DHS. If I had to do my trip over again and pay each day, I'd probably buy it for one of my MK days and that's it.
I just returned and I bought it once (studios and Epcot) in 7 days during peak Time.

We did fine. Actually it was rather pleasant overall. But I have reasonable expectations.

On 1/1…used it for runaway, midway mania, RnRR…then shifted and got soarin, rat and SSE on the end.

I futzed with it a little midday so I probably could have used it a little more…but wanted to get ratatouille as a priority when I was in studios

JD80

I just returned and I bought it once (studios and Epcot) in 7 days during peak Time.

We did fine. Actually it was rather pleasant overall. But I have reasonable expectations.

On 1/1…used it for runaway, midway mania, RnRR…then shifted and got soarin, rat and SSE on the end.

I futzed with it a little midday so I probably could have used it a little more…but wanted to get ratatouille as a priority when I was in studios

It's worthless in Epcot - it's essentially an ILL for Remy's. It's also used to basically skip 10-20 minutes in every other attraction (obviously excluding Frozen and TT)

In DHS, it's great if you wanted to hang out at your resort and head into the park at 4pm and do everything. Assuming a non-crazy day at the park, you can get LL's for almost every attraction in the park for after 4pm. Using the modify button and starting at 7AM you could probably snag Falcon, Slinky, ToT, RRC, MMRR, TSM (as you're walking in to the park) and then whatever else you can snag that evening.

Disney would get more money from me if I could buy just 1 day hoppers for my family for my stay and I'd buy G+ and do AK in the morning and stack LLs for the evening for DHS and then I wouldn't go into those parks for the rest of my trip most likely.

Saskdw

I think G+ is vastly better than FP+ (and I refreshed) as far as functionality. I can get more rides, better selections and make it work for the way I tour the park. ESPECIALLY with the modify feature.
This is subjective to your vacation style. What you are saying is true, however for me there are 2 major issues with that.

1) We like to sleep in on vacation. I don't want to be up at 6:55am every day to start the G+ process. The FP+ system was perfect for us.

2) I don't want to spend my entire day with my phone out hitting refresh and constantly modifying all the ride times until I get the ones I want. I used to throw my phone in the safe and not even bring it to the parks.

So yes you can get results from this system, but it doesn't fit with my vacation style at all. We won't we back at Disney until they change this. If they don't change it we may never be back. I know Universal enjoyed all the money we spent their for 2 weeks this December instead of Disney.

JD80

This is subjective to your vacation style. What you are saying is true, however for me there are 2 major issues with that.

1) We like to sleep in on vacation. I don't want to be up at 6:55am every day to start the G+ process. The FP+ system was perfect for us.

2) I don't want to spend my entire day with my phone out hitting refresh and constantly modifying all the ride times until I get the ones I want. I used to throw my phone in the safe and not even bring it to the parks.

So yes you can get results from this system, but it doesn't fit with my vacation style at all. We won't we back at Disney until they change this. If they don't change it we may never be back. I know Universal enjoyed all the money we spent their for 2 weeks this December instead of Disney.

1) You don't have to start at 7AM if you don't want to. You can still "maximize" your day. Unless you're sleeping in to 2 hours after park open. At MK you may miss out on Jungle Cruise. Maybe. DHS is the only culprit for missing out on Slinky Dog.

2) I thought this was the case, but it really isn't. You're just checking in every 2 hours and booking something. Maybe every 30-40 minutes to check to modify something if you got a time that was too early if you want to stack for late in the day.

Have you tried using it yet? At each park?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I fully respect your opinion/priorities…However it means wdw isn’t for you.

It’s a numbers game and you’ll lose that way

G00fyDad

Not everyone likes to sleep in and some are just naturally up at 6am everyday anyway. I loved the FP+ system and I was very apprehensive of the G+ system but it worked very well for us. Even on the day we did sleep in we used G+ at MK and it worked well. We did not get to the parks until around 10:30ish and used G+ just fine.

You don't have to spend all day doing that. Ride a ride, refresh, choose a new ride, and put your phone in your pocket. And even if they did not have G+ the idea that you can go to the parks and not use your phone at all is a bit of a stretch. Aside from G+ we used phones to mobile order, scan various things in the parks, take photos, check upcoming weather, see where each other were in the parks with tracking apps, etc. Of course you could still go to the parks and not take your phone. That is a choice that you still have today. I wouldn't recommend it but you can still do that if you choose.

We won't we back at Disney until they change this. If they don't change it we may never be back. I know Universal enjoyed all the money we spent their for 2 weeks this December instead of Disney.
Then I doubt you'll ever be back to Disney again and will spend your time at Universal.

Trauma

Not everyone likes to sleep in and some are just naturally up at 6am everyday anyway. I loved the FP+ system and I was very apprehensive of the G+ system but it worked very well for us. Even on the day we did sleep in we used G+ at MK and it worked well. We did not get to the parks until around 10:30ish and used G+ just fine.

You don't have to spend all day doing that. Ride a ride, refresh, choose a new ride, and put your phone in your pocket. And even if they did not have G+ the idea that you can go to the parks and not use your phone at all is a bit of a stretch. Aside from G+ we used phones to mobile order, scan various things in the parks, take photos, check upcoming weather, see where each other were in the parks with tracking apps, etc. Of course you could still go to the parks and not take your phone. That is a choice that you still have today. I wouldn't recommend it but you can still do that if you choose.

Then I doubt you'll ever be back to Disney again and will spend your time at Universal.
Yeah you “could” do things like this.

However if you want to actually experience the attractions you need to be refreshing every second of the day.

It would take me on average 15-20 minutes of refreshing constantly to move a ride time up to now. That would usually be done while walking towards it.

If you are trying to maximize G+ I can’t think of I single time after 9am you phone should be in your pocket unless you are on a ride.

Touchdown

I’m probably going to try it on my DHS evenings on my next trip. If I can stack them so that I can hit most of the heavy hitters it will be worth it. It’s pointless in the morning at DHS and not needed elsewhere, provided you have EE.

Looking forward to those nights, can’t wait to see F! again and the studios is always more relaxed then am.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom