Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

JMcMahonEsq

Interesting. Going to have 11 of us this Friday so I am a little worried how it is going to work
We did a group of 10 over 4th of July weekend and it worked out fine. Especially if you are keeping the group together.

Our only difficulty was when there were rides that certain people didn't want to go on (say Rockin Roller Coaster for example) and trying to coordinate so that the 6 people going on that ride, and the 4 people who weren't matched pretty close in time so that we could all come together as group of 10 for the next Genie+ 2 hours from that booking.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The Walt Disney Co.'s (NYSE: DIS) Disney Genie and Genie+ technologies which are used in theme parks, including Walt Disney World in Orlando, are the focal point of a lawsuit filed by a California-based theme park tech firm.

Glendale, California-based Agile Journeys LLC filed a lawsuit Dec. 2 with the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida Fort Myers Division.

The suit alleges patent infringement of one of Agile Journeys' patents in relation to Disney's digital personalized itinerary tech, Disney Genie and Disney Genie+. The latter is a paid version released in 2021 that provides add-ons such as ride time reservations.

Agile Journeys alleges Disney infringes on Agile Journeys' patent published in 2002, dubbed "Method and Apparatus for Providing Visitors with a Personalized Itinerary and Managed Access to Attractions," which describes a personalized itinerary system for attraction visitors. The lawsuit alleges Agile Journeys has been damaged by Disney.

"Disney has infringed and continues to infringe (literally and/or under the doctrine of equivalents), directly, indirectly, and/or through subsidiaries, agents, representatives or intermediaries, one or more claims of the [patent] by making, using, testing, supplying, causing to be supplied, selling and/or offering for sale in the United States the Disney Genie system, including the Disney Genie App," alleges the lawsuit.

The lawsuit also alleges Disney was aware of the existence of Agile Journeys' technology dating back to 2002. It alleges Agile's patent co-inventor William Gibbens Redmann was in contact with Disney representatives regarding the technology. The patent's other co-inventor is Michael Anthony Eaton.

The lawsuit contains alleged emails between Redmann and Disney representatives regarding having a discussion over the technology.

The lawsuit also alleges that Disney attempted to patent its own system multiple times, which the lawsuit alleges included applications that were "rejected" or where Agile's patent was cited when being reviewed.

"Notwithstanding Disney’s knowledge of [Agile's patent], Disney has knowingly or with reckless disregard willfully infringed the [patent]. Disney has acted despite an objectively high likelihood that its actions constituted infringement of the [patent]. The objective risk that Disney infringed the [patent] was known or so obvious that it should have been known to Disney," alleged the lawsuit.
Steven Gautier Koeppel, attorney at Ft. Myers-based Yeslow & Koeppel PA, represents Agile Journeys LLC, according to the documents. Disney did not have an attorney listed in the documents as of Dec. 5.

The lawsuit requests a jury trial and seeks:

▪A judgment that Disney infringed on one more more claims of the patent
▪A judgement and order requiring Disney to pay Agile Journeys "enhanced damages" for the infringement
▪A judgement and order requiring Disney to pay Agile Journeys royalties going forward

Neither Disney, Redmann, Eaton or Koeppel could be reached for comment."

DCLcruiser

Oh yea, one more dislike. Probably my biggest issue with G+ (which overall I liked)... On "My Day," they kept inserting suggestions which would break up my schedule view.

I would have to scroll down to see what I was doing next. They would stick one or two advertisements of rides I didn't want in the way. I started removing them but it wouldn't really fix the issue.

JoeCamel

"The Walt Disney Co.'s (NYSE: DIS) Disney Genie and Genie+ technologies which are used in theme parks, including Walt Disney World in Orlando, are the focal point of a lawsuit filed by a California-based theme park tech firm.

Glendale, California-based Agile Journeys LLC filed a lawsuit Dec. 2 with the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida Fort Myers Division.

The suit alleges patent infringement of one of Agile Journeys' patents in relation to Disney's digital personalized itinerary tech, Disney Genie and Disney Genie+. The latter is a paid version released in 2021 that provides add-ons such as ride time reservations.

Agile Journeys alleges Disney infringes on Agile Journeys' patent published in 2002, dubbed "Method and Apparatus for Providing Visitors with a Personalized Itinerary and Managed Access to Attractions," which describes a personalized itinerary system for attraction visitors. The lawsuit alleges Agile Journeys has been damaged by Disney.

"Disney has infringed and continues to infringe (literally and/or under the doctrine of equivalents), directly, indirectly, and/or through subsidiaries, agents, representatives or intermediaries, one or more claims of the [patent] by making, using, testing, supplying, causing to be supplied, selling and/or offering for sale in the United States the Disney Genie system, including the Disney Genie App," alleges the lawsuit.

The lawsuit also alleges Disney was aware of the existence of Agile Journeys' technology dating back to 2002. It alleges Agile's patent co-inventor William Gibbens Redmann was in contact with Disney representatives regarding the technology. The patent's other co-inventor is Michael Anthony Eaton.

The lawsuit contains alleged emails between Redmann and Disney representatives regarding having a discussion over the technology.

The lawsuit also alleges that Disney attempted to patent its own system multiple times, which the lawsuit alleges included applications that were "rejected" or where Agile's patent was cited when being reviewed.

"Notwithstanding Disney’s knowledge of [Agile's patent], Disney has knowingly or with reckless disregard willfully infringed the [patent]. Disney has acted despite an objectively high likelihood that its actions constituted infringement of the [patent]. The objective risk that Disney infringed the [patent] was known or so obvious that it should have been known to Disney," alleged the lawsuit.
Steven Gautier Koeppel, attorney at Ft. Myers-based Yeslow & Koeppel PA, represents Agile Journeys LLC, according to the documents. Disney did not have an attorney listed in the documents as of Dec. 5.

▪A judgement and order requiring Disney to pay Agile Journeys "enhanced damages" for the infringement
▪A judgement and order requiring Disney to pay Agile Journeys royalties going forward

Ohhh, Steve is going to have a good year

Disstevefan1

Disney should cease and desist Genie+ and ILL immediately! 🤣

CaptinEO

My first time at WDW since Genie+. Havent gone to Epcot yet but so far I feel Genie+ is good for MK.

Animal Kingdom I don't see the point so didn't buy it. People can easily do all the rides with plenty of time to spare.

Hollywood Studios was a madhouse. We didn't get Genie because we have SW:GE at Disneyland and only wanted do the unique rides and shows.

I think of all the parks I've seen so far Hollywood Studios suffers the most from Genie+. It seems every ride and show has Lightning Lane there.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Some additional notes on the change -

Will the timeframe for when Guests are able to book their next selection change if their original selection is modified?
No. Guests are able to make another Lightning Lane selection with Disney Genie+ service once they redeem their current selection, once their full arrival window has passed, or after 120 minutes has passed from the original booking (or 120 minutes after the published park opening time, whichever is later).

Are Guests able to modify a Lightning Lane selection made with Disney Genie+ service for an available experience at another park?
With this new functionality, Guests may modify selections for the park in which the original selection was made. If a Guest wishes to make a selection at a different park, they should first cancel their selection, and then proceed to make a selection at the other park.

Can Guests modify individual (a la carte) Lightning Lane selections?
No. The ability to modify selections only applies to experiences offered through Disney Genie+ service.

Jrb1979

This is a big improvement. I don’t understand why this functionality wasn’t there from the outset given that FP+ already had it.
IMO they didn't want Genie+ to work like that. I feel they set Genie+ up this way to direct crowds better. They also are trying to get away from planning out their spreadsheets.

DCLcruiser

Let’s hope their servers are ready for the increase in refresh-refresh-refresh traffic.
I doubt it will be an issue. Last week, every LL was for now...1:30 PM! So, refreshing just got you 1:35 PM. There were only a select few LL for later in the day, which happened in the AM (for PM entrance) on very popular rides like SDD.

gorillaball

I doubt it will be an issue. Last week, every LL was for now...1:30 PM! So, refreshing just got you 1:35 PM. There were only a select few LL for later in the day, which happened in the AM (for PM entrance) on very popular rides like SDD.
And that will be true for maybe 3-4 days, when it will become increasingly not true until about 10 days from now when it will be a big issue. If you were to cancel (under existing system) in the 10 seconds until you booked something else it would be gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom