Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Maybe im alone in this thinking and maybe im not but the $15 ($16 after tax) per day should not be an issue. Lets face it. Do we really believe FP+ was “free” do we really think ME was “free” granted now we are paying additional but in the grand scheme of things to me its not that much at all relative to the cost of the trip. And if a few hundred bucks is going to make or break a decision to go then probably should think about it again or worse case cut a day down or find ways over the course of a year to save an extra $1 a day… the issue i have is the product working. November awful but still was able to get rides so did i get my “moneys worth”? This past trip worked amazing basically the way FP+ worked for me day of with the ability to book rides same day with effectiveness. I do agree tho each park needs capacity and reliability bc they are already under that and every day rides are going down that make the lines seem that much longer… and again these are simple additions they need to add just to gobble up people. 2things that come to mind is Stitch still being closed and Ariel at HS still being closed. AK lost PW and God knows how long that sits empty. Epcot nixing a MP ride that would have drawn people to that as well. These are all simple and mostly inexpensive Disney speaking that would help the park completely… this only scratches the surface of what really needs to get done tho.

Thepuma

Maybe im alone in this thinking and maybe im not but the $15 ($16 after tax) per day should not be an issue. Lets face it. Do we really believe FP+ was “free” do we really think ME was “free” granted now we are paying additional but in the grand scheme of things to me its not that much at all relative to the cost of the trip. And if a few hundred bucks is going to make or break a decision to go then probably should think about it again or worse case cut a day down or find ways over the course of a year to save an extra $1 a day… the issue i have is the product working. November awful but still was able to get rides so did i get my “moneys worth”? This past trip worked amazing basically the way FP+ worked for me day of with the ability to book rides same day with effectiveness. I do agree tho each park needs capacity and reliability bc they are already under that and every day rides are going down that make the lines seem that much longer… and again these are simple additions they need to add just to gobble up people. 2things that come to mind is Stitch still being closed and Ariel at HS still being closed. AK lost PW and God knows how long that sits empty. Epcot nixing a MP ride that would have drawn people to that as well. These are all simple and mostly inexpensive Disney speaking that would help the park completely… this only scratches the surface of what really needs to get done tho.
FP+ was free...and what's worse, its miles better in every way to G+....so of course people will be annoyed, they are paying heavily ($900 for a family of 4 over a 2 week vacation), which YES, could affect a family decision financially to come or not) for something that is a worse product.

FP+ was free at point...G+ is not. Of course, I'm sure disney factored in part of the entrance fee for FP+...but they do that now anyway..I mean, have they reduced entrance fees since G+ came in?

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
FP+ was free...and what's worse, its miles better in every way to G+....so of course people will be annoyed, they are paying heavily ($900 for a family of 4 over a 2 week vacation), which YES, could affect a family decision financially to come or not) for something that is a worse product.

FP+ was free at point...G+ is not. Of course, I'm sure disney factored in part of the entrance fee for FP+...but they do that now anyway..I mean, have they reduced entrance fees since G+ came in?
Listen i LOVED FP+ if you have followed anything ive said over the past months it worked great for me prior to getting there and while i was there so you will not see me prefer Genie over FP ever… in your example if someone can afford a 2 week vacation anywhere 900 should not be a big deal at all to them and if it is cut your trip short by a day than… thats my response to that. And like i also said if another $300 is gonna make or break your life then maybe going away is not best option at that moment or find a way to save an extra $1 a day. Either way i do agree FP+ was head and shoulders better than Genie

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
So 50% of current guests are buying it, but only 35% of future guests will buy it? That's the message? Like, I need to know more context here to know whether 70% is good or bad, right?
Disney Spin 101 always focus on the positive no matter how crappy entirety of the situation is.

Yay!! 70 percent of Genie Customers would by it again.

Boo! 65% of your total customers have no intention of ever buying into it.

But is the later a bug or a feature?

DisneyDodo

2) I could be wrong on the math here, but:

50% of guests buy G+ according to Chapek
70% would buy it again, according to Josh

So 50% of current guests are buying it, but only 35% of future guests will buy it? That's the message? Like, I need to know more context here to know whether 70% is good or bad, right?
This doesn’t paint the whole picture because there is also a percentage of guests who didn’t buy it now, but would in the future.

Any service will have some attrition over time, but that doesn’t mean it can’t experience growth. The 70% number here is kind of meaningless. Without anything to really compare it to, we don’t know if it’s good or bad, or whether we should expect G+ adoption to go up or down.

homerdance

I have been pretty vocal about the new system is. I took the survey that asked the question “will you purchase genie+ on your next trip” question. I answered yes, not because I like it, but because going to magic kingdom and riding 3 rides in 1 day sucks. But we also will never purchase it for every day/park. It has zero value at EPCOT and Animal Kingdom, and little value at Studios.

This is just a crap design with terrible results.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thepuma

Listen i LOVED FP+ if you have followed anything ive said over the past months it worked great for me prior to getting there and while i was there so you will not see me prefer Genie over FP ever… in your example if someone can afford a 2 week vacation anywhere 900 should not be a big deal at all to them and if it is cut your trip short by a day than… thats my response to that. And like i also said if another $300 is gonna make or break your life then maybe going away is not best option at that moment or find a way to save an extra $1 a day. Either way i do agree FP+ was head and shoulders better than Genie
I dunno...$900 (or £825 to European guests) is a huge amount and definitely a big thing in the holiday decision.

Put it this way - our flight and Disney hotel for 10 days was £950 each. Now the unlimited Orlando park ticket is £900 each again....so to add yet another £900 for Genie is most certainly a breaking point for some...luckily not us, but there are lots of families who can just about afford the holiday as it is, to add another £900, to those from the UK after already paying for the flight, hotel and tickets, is a big ask.

lentesta

Premium Member
This doesn’t paint the whole picture because there is also a percentage of guests who didn’t buy it now, but would in the future.

Any service will have some attrition over time, but that doesn’t mean it can’t experience growth. The 70% number here is kind of meaningless. Without anything to really compare it to, we don’t know if it’s good or bad, or whether we should expect G+ adoption to go up or down.

Yeah, this is the thing I'm trying to figure out - is the trend a long-term sustainable thing, or are they eating their own seed corn?

lentesta

Premium Member
I dunno...$900 (or £825 to European guests) is a huge amount and definitely a big thing in the holiday decision.

Put it this way - our flight and Disney hotel for 10 days was £950 each. Now the unlimited Orlando park ticket is £900 each again....so to add yet another £900 for Genie is most certainly a breaking point for some...luckily not us, but there are lots of families who can just about afford the holiday as it is, to add another £900, to those from the UK after already paying for the flight, hotel and tickets, is a big ask.

I got an email last week from a long-time TouringPlans user - like, going back to 2005 - who'd not been to the park since 2012. 7 adults, 8 days at WDW.

Her question was like this:

My husband's doing the budget for our trip this December. We're staying off-site to save money. He said we need to set aside $1,800 for something called Lightning Lane. That can't be right. Can you look over his numbers?

My response was "Good news - he overestimated by $4."

MrPromey

How does that work?

"Past performance is not a reliable indicator of..."

;)

Disney Glimpses

I don't think Disney actually sees Genie+ as a success. This was pure spin to avoid an investor freak-out. They'll revamp it a bit with Genie+ 2.0 and market it as "due to overwhelming demand from our guests regarding our incredibly popular Genie+ service, we are making the following 15 changes".
Correct. They see the idea as a massive success, but the implementation as a massive failure that can also be corrected. I will say, internally I have heard they have become less and less concerned about GSAT numbers regarding ticketing and possibly Genie+ due to the sheer amount of revenue they are generating. Which is really unfortunate to learn. There appears to be a bit of a tug of war happening across the teams with the revenue focused team basically saying that GSAT doesn't matter because the pool of guests is so massive (which many of you accurately suspected and I too often refuted).

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Correct. They see the idea as a massive success, but the implementation as a massive failure that can also be corrected. I will say, internally I have heard they have become less and less concerned about GSAT numbers regarding ticketing and possibly Genie+ due to the sheer amount of revenue they are generating. Which is really unfortunate to learn. There appears to be a bit of a tug of war happening across the teams with the revenue focused team basically saying that GSAT doesn't matter because the pool of guests is so massive (which many of you accurately suspected and I too often refuted).
so nothing will change other than a raised price like everything else that happens annually hence why i been preaching so long if they really wanted to fix issues they would have already and had nothing to do with people who bought already... i just want to know how i had 2 completely different experiences with the product basically 9 months apart & honestly the drops were not even a factor most days for me...

Jrb1979

so nothing will change other than a raised price like everything else that happens annually hence why i been preaching so long if they really wanted to fix issues they would have already and had nothing to do with people who bought already... i just want to know how i had 2 completely different experiences with the product basically 9 months apart & honestly the drops were not even a factor most days for me...
The reason you had 2 different experiences is due to the amount of guests in the parks. The less guests the better Genie+ works.

Jrb1979

They continue to really show that money is the number 1 thing. It always has but before GSAT was right up there with it. Since the end of Covid they have completely changed the direction of the company.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
The reason you had 2 different experiences is due to the amount of guests in the parks. The less guests the better Genie+ works.
Well yes that is the obvious answer but when i say Genie was literally available for about 90% of the rides basically all within minutes im not even exaggerating… as i said my DAS was basically not needed…

TQQQ

Hi. First post, new member. It's crazy that people still pay for Genie+ but I dont think thats any indication of customer satisfaction. Genie+ just doesn't work in any way. It has so many problems that it makes the parks no longer fun

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Hi. First post, new member. It's crazy that people still pay for Genie+ but I dont think thats any indication of customer satisfaction. Genie+ just doesn't work in any way. It has so many problems that it makes the parks no longer fun
Listen im not a believer inGenie but as i said was there for 11 days got back Monday and yes parks were on the lighter side but it worked like a charm and was worth every penny i paid for it. With that being said the system/capacity cant handle any type of crowds imo based on my experience in November…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom