Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Chip Chipperson

It has nothing to do with it being that much work it's more that I don't like having a set schedule on vacation. Its why we enjoy Universal more.

I don't necessarily want no planning but a middle ground would be better then what is in place now. I would fine if they kept ADRs for character meals but for everything else make it first come first serve.

Question for you. Do you do a lot of planning for all your vacations?

No reservations for non-character TS restaurants would be a $#!^show. Imagine the line for Topolino's dinner, for example. You don't need ADRs to eat, you just need them for most TS restaurants. QS is still available at your leisure. Heck, you can probably even get a last-minute TS meal at Olivia's if you want to be waited on. Bit the more popular restaurants would be a mess.

Jeff4272

It seems to me comparing FastPass + to Genie + there is still planning but the time you must plan has moved.

With FastPass +, you could plan 60 days out, it was still hit or miss as to what attractions you could get, but at least to could do all the planning from the comfort of your easy chair and all your FastPasses and your ADRs were done well in advance and there was two less things to worry about and you KNEW what attractions you were going to ride and you could go on vacation with a positive attitude.

With Genie + , you still must plan, but you must try to plan your day at 7AM every morning. Still hit or miss and in my mind, much more stressful, as you park day depends how good your selections come out. There is no sleeping late, there is no relaxing, YOU MUST GET THE LIGHTING LANES, you can't depend on there being stand by lines as we see they are closing them when they choose.

Want to ride Guardians? Hope you can get a boarding group.

Where are you going today? Hollywood Studios? You want to ride Rise, you get online at 7AM, YES.... Wait... 6PM! :mad:
This is not even close to true.................

at 60 days out I never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, not once did i miss any attraction for the exact time i wanted and that was dozens of trips

I have never met or spoken to one person who couldnt get exactly what they wanted at 60 days and I would even say they the VAST majority could what they wanted at 30 days

Last edited:

CuteAsMinnie

at 60 days out I never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, not once did i miss any attraction for the exact time i wanted and that was dozens of trips

I have never met or spoken to one person who couldnt get exactly what they wanted at 60 days and I would even say they the VAST majority could what they wanted at 30 days
Absolutely 💯!!!!!!!!
We’d spend 10-15 minutes selecting our
FP+s at 60 day mark and then dunzo until we scanned the third one in the park. And then just kept adding more and more FP throughout the day. Worked like a dream. Never had a problem! Not one!
😎🌺

JMcMahonEsq

It has nothing to do with it being that much work it's more that I don't like having a set schedule on vacation. Its why we enjoy Universal more.

I don't necessarily want no planning but a middle ground would be better then what is in place now. I would fine if they kept ADRs for character meals but for everything else make it first come first serve.

Yeah, but here's the problem. I DO want planning for my vacations. I want to know that at 4:30PM I am going to sit down and have dinner, or that Lunch is set for 12:30. I don't want to play it by ear, or just cross my fingers that I can a droid building appointment at 3PM on Saturday. I do planning for all my vacations, because i want to make sure i get to do what i want to do, when i want to do it.

But here is the point. With allowing early reservations and not having everything being fcfs, you cater to everyone. YOU don't have to plan if you don't want to. People can plan as much or as little as they want. But the fact that you personally don't want to plan, doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to. You don't get to dictate how others vacation.

Jeff4272

Yeah, but here's the problem. I DO want planning for my vacations. I want to know that at 4:30PM I am going to sit down and have dinner, or that Lunch is set for 12:30. I don't want to play it by ear, or just cross my fingers that I can a droid building appointment at 3PM on Saturday. I do planning for all my vacations, because i want to make sure i get to do what i want to do, when i want to do it.

But here is the point. With allowing early reservations and not having everything being fcfs, you cater to everyone. YOU don't have to plan if you don't want to. People can plan as much or as little as they want. But the fact that you personally don't want to plan, doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to. You don't get to dictate how others vacation.
Wow i cant believe i agree with JMcMahonEsq.............

This is a record 2nd time i agree with one of your posts

But this is my sentiment exactly..........I want to be able to schedule my vacation if i am paying all this money to travel and stay there....I don't want to leave it up in the air and hope i can get what i want because if i couldn't get those rides and dining ressies, i wouldn't go because its all part of the experience

It's the main reason we wont be going this year or next year after going 5x in the last 3 years (4/21 and 11/21 last 2 trips)

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
It wouldn’t be a good experience to have table service FCFS, especially in-park. I can’t think of a good way something like that could work. Guests would either have to walk over to the podium hours before and sign up or do similar on their phone, and at best get some kind of approx time slot. Or stand on line for hours waiting to eat? Or reservation gates open at 7am or park open? The worst part is how do you plan other meals and activities around that?

None of this sounds better than the 60 day windows being FCFS, with onsite getting trip duration perk. I would trade that onsite perk for 90 day window for just the resort you are staying at :) (Edit - maybe not now that I think about it more)

Last edited:

Jeff4272

It wouldn’t be a good experience to have table service FCFS, especially in-park. I can’t think of a good way something like that could work. Guests would either have to walk over to the podium hours before and sign up or do similar on their phone, and at best get some kind of approx time slot. Or stand on line for hours waiting to eat? Or reservation gates open at 7am or park open? The worst part is how do you plan other meals and activities around that?

None of this sounds better than the 60 day windows being FCFS, with onsite getting trip duration perk. I would trade that onsite perk for 90 day window for just the resort you are staying at :)
And you know what?

Thats what Genie+ is for rides

And they actually chose to make it that way

MickeyLuv'r

I mean, I'm with you with all of this. As a "planner" I enjoy doing all the work before hand so my vacation is predictable as you say. Genie+ is essentially the antithesis of that. I want the vacation @Jrb1979 wants but I realize I have to schedule parks/meals and previously rides prior to arriving and I don't mind doing that.

That is why I'm baffled. The "planning" isn't really that much work outside setting up some tentpoles for your vacation and working around them.
For me, it is a mix. I'm not opposed to general planning. I have, at times, booked trips early, bounceback offers sometimes meant giving WDW a small deposit a full year out. So those were the visits we ate at 'Ohana.

Have you ever suffered a flight cancelation though? Cancelations are quite common in winter. They can easily = getting stuck in Orlando for an extra 1-3 days.

In the not-so-very-distant past, adding an additional day was restriction-free.

There have absolutely been times when I considered a last trip to WDW (less than 30 days), but then decided it wasn't worth paying WDW prices if I couldn't eat at a certain place AND faced reduced-odds of getting decent Fast passes. Under those circumstances, we opted to go to Universal (or some other place).

I also, I dunno there are many times I was in FL, and planned a dinner, but then something happened and I no longer wanted to trudge from my hotel room all the way to the World Showcase. Like maybe a twisted ankle, or we were tired and napped, or someone didn't feel well.

So every non-refundable add-on bites, because it increases odds I'm going to lose money.

G+ is also even more: you pay but it only= MAYBE you get a fastpass? In my book, that's a scam.

MickeyLuv'r

That was not true for me. Certainly FP+ changed over time.

Early FP+ was very limited.

There were also times when I sought morning FP return times, but the best I could get was afternoon return times.

Late years of FP+ was when modifying FP+ became more of a useful option. Towards the end, if I could not get what I wanted as a pre-book, then I had pretty good luck w/modify.

Jeff4272

That was not true for me. Certainly FP+ changed over time.

Early FP+ was very limited.

There were also times when I sought morning FP return times, but the best I could get was afternoon return times.

Late years of FP+ was when modifying FP+ became more of a useful option. Towards the end, if I could not get what I wanted as a pre-book, then I had pretty good luck w/modify.
I was part of the FP+ test group (i think was fall of 2013?) and I went 3x in 2014 and never had an issue once

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

That is amazing!
I stand corrected.
Empirical data shows FastPass + is indeed better than Genie +

JD80

Depends on the vacation obviously.

When I'm at Disney, I've done weekend trips with zero planning except Park Reservations. I also do week or longer trips where I know there are certain places I want to eat at or try for the first time so I make reservations in advance so I can guarantee I get in at the times I want.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Planning a vacation. Okay. We all plan to a certain extent. And it’s very subjective

Micro-managing one is a different ball game. Seems that this is the direction we’re going.

One thing to say: okay I’m going to DW and here are the rides I want to go on and the places I want to eat at.

Vs

I’m having breakfast at 8:45, be on Splash at 10:20, Thunder at 11:05, I got a 20 minute window for a Dole Whip then over to Pirates at 11:50. Who’s planning my vacation? Microsoft Teams? The exact reason I went on vacation in the first place.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
Planning a vacation. Okay. We all plan to a certain extent. And it’s very subjective

Micro-managing one is a different ball game. Seems that this is the direction we’re going.

One thing to say: okay I’m going to DW and here are the rides I want to go on and the places I want to eat at.

Vs

I’m having breakfast at 8:45, be on Splash at 10:20, Thunder at 11:05, I got a 20 minute window for a Dole Whip then over to Pirates at 11:50. Who’s planning my vacation? Microsoft Teams? The exact reason I went on vacation in the first place.
Absolutely. I want the certainty of getting the rides and restaurants I want without having to decide on times. That would be perfect. Someone needs to tell Disney 😉

celluloid

I know it is not everyone but I about told off people on a few rides.(ok, almost sternly requested) that people around me in a few attractions please refrain. With genie plus some people are planning their next moves during the ride. My daughter's first ride on pirates of the Caribbean had guests in the row behind us with bright phone screens deciding what ride to genie plus next.

TinkerBelle8878

I think (and really hope) if they get rid of the park reservations that at least will stop the need to preplan months ahead of time. It might also help the LL and Genie micromanaging and having to be on your phone all the time if you chose to use these programs. Maybe this might settle into something similar to getting to the park, checking which rides you want to use Genie or Lightning on and going from there. Sort of how Fast pass used to work towards the end. Its kind of nuts to have to plan which park you want to do what day months ahead and basically be locked into it. Its actually more stressful than just going where you want, when. You now have the added worry that the day you reserved AK, its raining or something where its not really a feasible idea and might not be able to change it.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I know it is not everyone but I about told off people on a few rides.(ok, almost sternly requested) that people around me in a few attractions please refrain. With genie plus some people are planning their next moves during the ride. My daughter's first ride on pirates of the Caribbean had guests in the row behind us with bright phone screens deciding what ride to genie plus next.

You see all the “altercations” happening recently? And no it’s not all Disney. But Disney is feeding it somewhat. Introducing a level of stress where none needs to be.

And introducing it to a group whose rubber band has been stretched about as far as it can go. Question is not “if” it’s going to snap. Rather “when”

Jrb1979

Vs

That's the type of planning I hate.

JD80

Vs

I mean no one is forcing you to do either of those. Some people like it, some people don't. People tour the parks in their own way.

I'm an uber planner but I never planned things out to the minute. I had a meal reservation at a certain time and (back in the day) had three one our windows to hit up rides. The rest of the day was up in the air and I did whatever I wanted. Somedays I refreshed and did ride after ride. Some days I just wandered the park and did whatever had a short line.

But that's how I like to plan my vacations.

I mean, sure I would love to be able to show up anywhere and just get in whenever I wanted and get a free 3 anytime LL passes for $15. But I live in reality. There is a chance you can walk up and get a table in a restaurant but you're also risking that it'll be full. That's how every restaurant in the world works that takes reservations.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom