Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Disney Glimpses

ah ok... i misread that but again we are making it more complicated... 10pm the night before (while most are on vacation already), 7am the day of (when most are starting their day or getting ready to have breakfast at the resort) etc. etc. etc.

at least 60 days was 60 days and we have peace of mind knowing we have 3 selections
chosen at the times we selected
knowing we can modify them if when needed
and being able to plan your day / navigation around the parks (rope drop selection, direction, where to be around at lunch, schedule around any dining reservations or shows/parades, etc.)

I don't understand why they think the new design is a step in the right direction honestly because it has COMPLETELY altered how we plan (or not plan) our days and most importantly the overall experience in a negative way and it's not all about the cost of it or how many are using it.. it's the design and lack thereof (whether it's by design or not)
That is something that you liked but was a primary complaint from Disney guests. By and large Disney guests did not like having to plan attractions 60 days out.

In fact, in many ways, that was worse than Park Pass. The only reason we put up with it is because we got to skip lines. But in reality, all we're being asked to do right now is pick a park ahead of time. Back then, we were not only asked to pick a park but basically tell them everything we were doing throughout the day there.

Chi84

Premium Member
That is something that you liked but was a primary complaint from Disney guests. By and large Disney guests did not like having to plan attractions 60 days out.
Right, because what they wanted was to go to the parks and ride whatever they wanted whenever they wanted to. If you asked them whether they would rather plan 60 days out or possibly be shut out of getting line skips because of the system selling out - or planning a park day with a good chance of not being to get their favorite rides - there may have been fewer complaints.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Expectations are the driver here, not volume. The FP+ inventory was plenty to allow each resort guest 3 per day at 60 days out. The expectation of use on the remaining inventory (off site, APs) was low. Saying FP+ worked "perfectly" as a resort guest makes me chuckle a bit. If you weren't a resort guest it was awful.

And the only reason it had a chance at not being awful is because the balking point for searching for reservations was very, very low since it was free (people searched and just gave up). The balking point for Genie+ is non-existent: people want something in return for their money.
Not sure how you can say it made you chuckle i can literally tell you ONLY once did i have an issue not getting a FP and that was Frozen and as i stated i wrote an email to Guest services received a Phone call and not only did they give me 1 but 2 FP to ride during my trip so yeah prior to arriving FP as a resort guest from my experience and to many others on here and people i know as well..... in regards to your non resort comment again from people i know and others on these boards they have claimed success as well but again if a non resort guest Cant get a headliner is that really an issue? there needs to be some "perks" for resort guests and this was one of them.... You keep using the free vs paying defense and altho yes you do make a valid point with that but again i DONT buy it the math to me still doesnt add up bc come 10-11am literally there is nothing there of any type of worth and nothing remotely close to the time of day... which again would have already been booked with one of the 3 fastpasses pre booked... you cant sit here and say people just didnt book any rides before going because it was "free" and chose to ignore the fact that they would have literally ridden anything w no wait 3 times per day minimum. You wanna say people didnt utilize the 4th and beyond so be it but even that is a stretch bc again all you literally had to do was go on app and choose a ride any ride.. why wouldnt you do that? using your logic the system is so bad yet more people keep paying? Again math doesnt add up... so maybe choosing times make a difference... maybe Disney is intentionally creating this disaster to create a "new" product to charge even more... whatever it is I am not buying this BS that more people are using Genie bc they pay vs FP that was Free people literally are NOT even able to get 3 Genie's when we were able to get that before we hopped on a plane!

Disney Glimpses

Not sure how you can say it made you chuckle i can literally tell you ONLY once did i have an issue not getting a FP and that was Frozen and as i stated i wrote an email to Guest services received a Phone call and not only did they give me 1 but 2 FP to ride during my trip so yeah prior to arriving FP as a resort guest from my experience and to many others on here and people i know as well..... in regards to your non resort comment again from people i know and others on these boards they have claimed success as well but again if a non resort guest Cant get a headliner is that really an issue? there needs to be some "perks" for resort guests and this was one of them.... You keep using the free vs paying defense and altho yes you do make a valid point with that but again i DONT buy it the math to me still doesnt add up bc come 10-11am literally there is nothing there of any type of worth and nothing remotely close to the time of day... which again would have already been booked with one of the 3 fastpasses pre booked... you cant sit here and say people just didnt book any rides before going because it was "free" and chose to ignore the fact that they would have literally ridden anything w no wait 3 times per day minimum. You wanna say people didnt utilize the 4th and beyond so be it but even that is a stretch bc again all you literally had to do was go on app and choose a ride any ride.. why wouldnt you do that? using your logic the system is so bad yet more people keep paying? Again math doesnt add up... so maybe choosing times make a difference... maybe Disney is intentionally creating this disaster to create a "new" product to charge even more... whatever it is I am not buying this BS that more people are using Genie bc they pay vs FP that was Free people literally are NOT even able to get 3 Genie's when we were able to get that before we hopped on a plane!
I dunno how many people you travel with but if you're with 4, 6 or even 10 guests without a resort reservation, you were not getting E-ticket FP+ selections. Sure being alone or even with 1 other person you may be able to refresh and snag one. But larger groups/families - it didn't happen unless you used automation software to make the reservations (even then it was hit or miss).

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No

In fact, in many ways, that was worse than Park Pass. The only reason we put up with it is because we got to skip lines. But in reality, all we're being asked to do right now is pick a park ahead of time. Back then, we were not only asked to pick a park but basically tell them everything we were doing throughout the day there.
But 180 days out for Dining when park hours were not posted or changed after constantly was NOT? come on now..... and now Booking dining is 60 days and thats okay? lets face it.. Fast pass was a park pass for most part especially if you booked early ones or if you were a pool person and didnt enter park til later in the day or early noon... it had a on of flexibility which Genie has ZERO!

Disney Glimpses

Right, because what they wanted was to go to the parks and ride whatever they wanted whenever they wanted to. If you asked them whether they would rather plan 60 days out or possibly be shut out of getting line skips because of the system selling out - or planning a park day with a good chance of not being to get their favorite rides - there may have been fewer complaints.
Yep, for sure. But in fairness, the experience offered by the service today is no where near what was planned. They are taking way too long to correct it though.

MickeyLuv'r

& ill go 1 step further. Charge 25-30 a day for the exact same product FP was people would pay for it & salivate at that once again.
And to touch base on planning. You literally HAVE to plan a park you are going to which to me is worse bc you are stuck there potentially with no top rides comes 7am. So Disney caved on olanning for rides that benefit the guest but didnt cave on the choosing park complaint? Not to mention any families that are doing character meals had to plan anyways so again you didnt eliminate the part people were “complaining” about. Yes Disney lost the spontaneous guests but come on. What percent of people actually book and plan a vacation less than 2 months out and if you do. You cant be upset if you feel
Slighted to someone who booked 6 months earlier. You were literally given 3 rides to walk on. You DIDNT have to use then if you chose not to. They were very flexible with return times in my experience and allowed you to choose early mid day or late ride times. But yea too many people are using Genie+ and thats why the system is awful. Again i dont buy it.
Disney worked pretty well before the Dining Plan was introduced- that's when Disney shifted the public towards pre-booking all their TS meals. In 2005, people ate dinner when they were hungry. But WDW wasn't happy because restaurants were empty at in-between times, like 4pm.

Disney Dining is a lot like FP+ in some ways. Disney wants to control where we are. Just as WDW (on the whole) doesn't like the idea of slow months, the also wants to avoid slow periods each day. A slow park at rope drop isn't great for WDW.

I think many locals do not plan WDW visits far in advance.

I think many folks...well they don't get upset, they just go to a vacation place that welcomes them.

But I sorta throw it around, why CAN'T they be frustrated? Thier frustration might not be justified, but they still CAN be frustrated. People are amazingly good at finding random reasons to be frustrated. :)

Disney Glimpses

But 180 days out for Dining when park hours were not posted or changed after constantly was NOT? come on now..... and now Booking dining is 60 days and thats okay? lets face it.. Fast pass was a park pass for most part especially if you booked early ones or if you were a pool person and didnt enter park til later in the day or early noon... it had a on of flexibility which Genie has ZERO!
Advance FP selections were the primary complaint. You had to wake up at 7am, 2 months before your trip and decide when you wanted to ride Splash mountain. Dining is a different story. Most people had a couple of character breakfasts they wanted and grabbed them. And you didn't have to do that right at 180 days out. Dining is much easier to get. And walk up lists for dining is also bearable in most cases. It's not a must do.

But waking up early 2 months before your trip to pick 3 rides for every single day - having to think about where you will be, when you may be eating, what you may want to do that night. You had to consider park hours, firework shows, etc. You had to literally plan your entire weeks long trip to make those selections. Guests hated it.

I didn't hate it because I always plan my trips out anyways. Most people here do. But we (WDWMagic Members) are not most people. We are a fraction of Disney's guests. Normal non-Disney fanatics didn't understand why a vacation required so much work ahead of time. That being said, Disney has somehow managed to make it even worse lol

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

I bet if you survey people now they’d prefer to go back to that system but therein also lies the problem. If they are relying on surveys that they can structure to get whatever result they are looking for in different ways rather than really understanding how the previous system vs the new system works for the majority of families then they are failing to understand their customers

We did not tell them everything we were doing throughout the day cmon now.
Then it was 3 attractions 60 days in advance
Now it’s 1 park reservation asap when purchasing your tickets and 1 attraction while on your vacation having no idea how to plan your day

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I dunno how many people you travel with but if you're with 4, 6 or even 10 guests without a resort reservation, you were not getting E-ticket FP+ selections. Sure being alone or even with 1 other person you may be able to refresh and snag one. But larger groups/families - it didn't happen unless you used automation software to make the reservations (even then it was hit or miss).
Again why are we harping on NON resort guests when my guess is majority of guests are resort ones or at least ones paying top dollar for and staying in bubble.... in regards to your question the people on these boards can answer that better but people i directly know were groups of no less than 4 and they were able to get top tier rides plenty of times... But you act like Genie allows you this anyways.... have you tried to book SDD at 7am? so now you tick off resort guests and even if you are lucky enough God knows what time you get... FP had dumps during the day we all know that which opened spots up and had people who modified plans which also added to the day of inventory... How you can defend Genie or try to "explain" how FP was a bad system is beyond me... especially as a resort guest or someone who knew how to use it... and guess what lines are still there and imo longer than FP days so that logic is out the window as well... Im sure DAS people are thrilled with that as well

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
That is completely untrue because I did and have. Because people can modify their times and selections things opened up. Not even a chance of that happening now

Disney Glimpses

I bet if you survey people now they’d prefer to go back to that system but therein also lies the problem. If they are relying on surveys that they can structure to get whatever result they are looking for in different ways rather than really understanding how the previous system vs the new system works for the majority of families then they are failing to understand their customers

We did not tell them everything we were doing throughout the day cmon now.
Then it was 3 attractions 60 days in advance
Now it’s 1 park reservation asap when purchasing your tickets and 1 attraction while on your vacation having no idea how to plan your day
No question they would. And it's why I hate Guest surveys. Guests always complain. It's out favorite thing to do.
Again why are we harping on NON resort guests when my guess is majority of guests are resort ones or at least ones paying top dollar for and staying in bubble.... in regards to your question the people on these boards can answer that better but people i directly know were groups of no less than 4 and they were able to get top tier rides plenty of times... But you act like Genie allows you this anyways.... have you tried to book SDD at 7am? so now you tick off resort guests and even if you are lucky enough God knows what time you get... FP had dumps during the day we all know that which opened spots up and had people who modified plans which also added to the day of inventory... How you can defend Genie or try to "explain" how FP was a bad system is beyond me... especially as a resort guest or someone who knew how to use it... and guess what lines are still there and imo longer than FP days so that logic is out the window as well... Im sure DAS people are thrilled with that as well
The majority of guests are not resort guests. I am harping on non-resort guests because Disney wanted to balance the scales a bit here as FP+ was ridiculously and heavily in favor of resort guests.

I am not defending Genie+ as it is right now, it's horrible. I am saying that FP+ wasn't perfect, we just pretend it was because we had resort reservations. For us it may have been, but we're not everyone.

DisneyHead123

Ive read it and honestly still
Dont buy it and if ALL these people are stacking that means there should be a ton of early availability which there isnt. As far as the inventory being gone. Here is my take on that. When FP was around Those rides were pretty much gone already would you agree? Thats been the “complain” atho plenty have said otherwise. So you can have it both ways. So thats 1 ride out of 3 when we pre planned because currently thats all thats out of the mix and its still a nightmare. Everyone gets another ride at 7am thats 2 rides. Still leaves you 1 ride short of ALL the pre planned rides booked when MORE people had access to the system. Again i have absolutely ZERO inside knowledge other than common sense and using some logic and math after experiencing it in its early stages where less people were on it vs FP which everyone was on and booked 3 rides to start the trip. Once you were able to book another ride using Genie there was absolutely nothing remotely close to the actual time so unless you paid for ILL you rode once and then are like now what? Even with 2 they werent going to be close together. I can assure you using FP as a resort guest i was using my 4th ride either before noon or right around there basically each day at ALL parks and i go during Thanksgiving so far from a slow time. Used it during Columbus day week as well another decently busy week and the Presidents week when schools are off at times. So its not like ive gone during dead times of year. Again to me the #s just dont add up. Call me skeptic but they felt charging for the same product was gonna be bad (not sure why they care bc they truly have shown deep down they dont even tho they may say they do. Actions have spoken louder). Give us an awful product. Then “create” a new one at an even higher price thinking owe wow. Thank you Disney. There is No defending this. No way. No how and no way they couldnt expect this disaster and as i stated early on. If they did think this would work. Shame on them and those people need to be take a few lessons & start reading these forums more often. Maybe even go to the parks like an average guest. You went from 3 rides at basically any time before you boarded a plane to now waking up and hoping to hit a lottery to get something at 9 am to then get to refresh and see what we can do. Yea. Sure they thought this would work?!? Rant over for now…
I think that the way Genie+ changes touring styles probably has something to do with it. For example, imagine Suzie Q Mom, planning for her family of 4. She decides to rope drop Frontier Land in the morning, hotel break with naps midday, and reserve her three fast passes for the afternoon. She wants them all in the same area of the park, so she manages to get 7 Dwarves, Pooh, and Small World. She decides to skip Peter Pan unless she seems an unusually short line around parade time, and go ahead and wait for Little Mermaid, Dumbo, and the carousel, because those are low wait times. She has an ADR for an early dinner at Crystal Palace that she knows won't conflict with her Fast Pass times. After dinner she might casually try the "refresh" strategy to see if anything good nearby pops up, but if not, no sweat, she has a good day on the books already.

Now look at Suzie Q Mom with Genie+. If she wants to rope drop, she literally has to start grabbing Genie+'s at the same time, if she chooses to use Genie+, because there is no option to just reserve times in the afternoon. So maybe she wouldn't have worried about it in the morning at all before, and saved her precious three Fast Passes for the afternoon, but now it makes no sense not to go ahead and grab whatever comes up. She gets a Genie+ for Thunder Mountain at 10:00 and rope drops Splash Mountain. Now it's 10:30 and the park is filling up. What makes the most sense, from her perspective, is to look for a short line and to go ahead and grab whatever Genie+ is available. Even if it's not what she really wanted, it's something, right? She zigzags across the park and gets a Genie+ for Little Mermaid and then does a short wait for the carousel. She probably would have waited in line for Little Mermaid before but, whatever, it was the only thing available, and she has this product, so it wouldn't make sense not to use it. She sees a Genie+ time open up for Small Word but it's in several hours and conflicts with her ADR. Frustrated, she uses Genie+ one more time for the Teacups even though no one really wanted to ride that, waits in line for Philharmagic, and goes back to the hotel, still scrolling for Genie+ times for the afternoon. The only thing that comes up is Tomorrowland Speedway so she takes that. By that evening all of the Genie+ times are gone and she can either wait in long lines or choose all of the less popular rides.

FastPass changed people's touring, to my mind, because:

- Your three "locked in" FastPasses were precious, and there was no incentive to overlap that with rope drop. To the contrary, it made more sense to skew towards the afternoon (a few people were so confident of their refresh skills that they wanted to use them all early, but not for most people). Now the opposite is true - you have no option to reserve times and you know Genie+ times are getting taken by other guests every second you wait, so everyone grabs what they can as early as they can pell mell.

- People with FastPasses later in the day couldn't start refreshing, and even if they could, a lot didn't think to do that. Many had already had the day they wanted to have anyways or didn't know about day-of Fast Passes. Genie+ is designed so that every single user is incentivized to get what they can when they can, so there's a lot of incentive to take a "whatever, it's better than nothing" ride. If you can wait thirty minutes for Little Mermaid in standby or twenty with Genie+, well, better than nothing I guess.

- Knowing when their FastPasses were encouraged people to fill in the gaps with other things, schedule-wise. "Oh, no FastPass then, let's plan on a snack / show / break / etc." A lottery system where you never know what might pop up when incentives people to be "on" all the time, always on the hunt for what might pop up.

Just my theory, anyways. I think this is a big part of the reason for limited availability.

Disney Glimpses

That is completely untrue because I did and have. Because people can modify their times and selections things opened up. Not even a chance of that happening now
No offense but what you're saying is almost impossible without spending exorbitant amounts of time on your phone or computer. You didn't grab 4-10 Flight of Passage reservations same day or 30 days out. Or Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Or Slinky Dog Dash. It simply did not happen without obsessively gaming the system 1 reservation at a time.

MickeyLuv'r

ah ok... i misread that but again we are making it more complicated... 10pm the night before (while most are on vacation already), 7am the day of (when most are starting their day or getting ready to have breakfast at the resort) etc. etc. etc.

at least 60 days was 60 days and we have peace of mind knowing we have 3 selections
chosen at the times we selected
knowing we can modify them if when needed
and being able to plan your day / navigation around the parks (rope drop selection, direction, where to be around at lunch, schedule around any dining reservations or shows/parades, etc.)

I don't understand why they think the new design is a step in the right direction honestly because it has COMPLETELY altered how we plan (or not plan) our days and most importantly the overall experience in a negative way and it's not all about the cost of it or how many are using it.. it's the design and lack thereof (whether it's by design or not)

all in all, most don't want to play the attraction selection lottery planning their vacation while on vacation at times that's not convenient
It seems to me also that perhaps the system doesn't have to 100% be all prebooked or all same-day.

Ideally, maybe 70% of the passes are offered at 60 days, another 20% are released at 7am, and the last 10% is released a few hours later.

Forum members have already said that Disney currently drops passes after 7am, so it seems like they already have some ability to drop passes more than once per day.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
No question they would. And it's why I hate Guest surveys. Guests always complain. It's out favorite thing to do.

The majority of guests are not resort guests. I am harping on non-resort guests because Disney wanted to balance the scales a bit here as FP+ was ridiculously and heavily in favor of resort guests.

I am not defending Genie+ as it is right now, it's horrible. I am saying that FP+ wasn't perfect, we just pretend it was because we had resort reservations. For us it may have been, but we're not everyone.
Ok so then let resort guest pick 3 in advance and off site guests pick 1 and then hold some availability for the day of for those winging it

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
No offense but what you're saying is almost impossible without spending exorbitant amounts of time on your phone or computer. You didn't grab 4-10 Flight of Passage reservations same day or 30 days out. Or Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Or Slinky Dog Dash. It simply did not happen without obsessively gaming the system 1 reservation at a time.
I did that. With a group of 4. Several times. Just refresh at times and things opened up ….because we could modify times unlike today and people did

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom