Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

TheMaxRebo

I remember getting table service at moderate resorts but I hear you...

You may be right - that might have been the delineation (I am not a dining plan person so don't recall all the details) .... But it is something where what you got varies by the level of resort

pdude81

EU if done well, and Universal has shown they can do good lands, is going to be a game changer in Orlando. There are a few things that will be tested:

1) Can Universal monsters draw enough people or is it an aged property.

2) How big is How to Train Your Dragon as a draw in a park.

3) Nintendo Land is probably the anchor will it be enough?

4) is the market ready for more potter?

I Wonder what 2026 attendance numbers look like if at least 2 of those questions are positive. Are they expecting 15M? 17M?
Catching up with this thread after a few days, so I give my apologies if all this was already addressed.

1. Universal Monsters is a grouping of massive IPs that have stagnated, and hopefully this will show Disney the value of timeless characters. To me this is the most excited part of EU.

2. The Dragons franchise has multiple kid shows on Netflix in addition to the movies, and really lends itself well to theme park usage. Even if the relevant content wanes in popularity, the theme itself should make for a great land and useful merch sales in perpetuity as long as they keep up on maintenance.

3. Nintendo is massive and likely always will be. This is a win win for Universal as long as they don't S*** the bed.

4. Good lands are good lands. HP is the biggest part of the other parks right now because it's more immersive. It may be less popular in a new park with other highly themed lands, but as long as it's done well there is a sizeable fanbase that will be happy with anything they do. And as follows with Pandora, if it's done well then the long term popularity of a franchise is not that important. Plus, I'd have to assume they'd be smart enough to have more places for the wands to take action. And if so, that's an easy win.

mikejs78

Premium Member
If they utterly refuse to spend any of that money to try out two of the top 10 parks In rhe world just down the road.....Yes!
What's it to you ? Who cares what other people what to do with their money?

Generally in life I've found that people who resort to name calling in their arguments are generally insecure in their own choices and require others to validate them.

pdude81

Disney gives me the feels, Universal doesn’t. They may both be great theme parks, but only one of them offers Disney, and Disney (more than theme parks per se) is what I’m into.
This is what is boils down to for many. And I should say it happens on both sides. There are people who are decidedly much happier with UO parks than Disney too. So you should certainly put your money where your mouth is.

Lately I've enjoyed both. I still prefer WDW and would have never spent money elsewhere, but some of their reductions in the past years have made me check out the competition. Perhaps they start really investing properly soon, and then I'll keep to the bubble again. For now it's extending beyond UO to SeaWorld and places like Gatorland that I haven't been to in 30 years.

MaximumEd

We went to WDW exclusively for years and years. Everyone we knew would call us for help planning trips. We were those people. The last 2 years, we’ve been going to Uni instead, and have had great stays. It’s just easier. Do I miss Disney? Sure. Will we go back? Possibly to California. The Florida park is broken, IMO.

bhg469

We went to WDW exclusively for years and years. Everyone we knew would call us for help planning trips. We were those people. The last 2 years, we’ve been going to Uni instead, and have had great stays. It’s just easier. Do I miss Disney? Sure. Will we go back? Possibly to California. The Florida park is broken, IMO.
Ever been to Disneyland? We had family come from Riverside and we took them to WDW. Their experience was not the best.

JD80

When I read that portion of the thread, I interpreted much of the comments more broadly than 'me /us personally'. In that context, it might be interesting to look at how the parks rank.

I would not say US and WDW are the same, certainly. Nor do I think any individual has to like Universal or WDW.

More broadly though- the general public might find that Universal now offers an improved product, while WDW might be slipping.

According to T.E.A.C.O.M. report for 2009, MK had 17,233,000 visitors. Disneyland was #2, Tokyo Disneyland was #3...Disney had #1 through #8, and
8 of the top 10 parks worldwide. Universal's top park was Tokyo Universal at #9, Universal Studios Orlando park was #13. (I randomly picked 2009.)

In 2019, Tokyo Universal was #5, Universal Studios Orlando was #11, and Islands of Adventure was #12. Disney had 7 of the top 10 parks worldwide. That was the year GE opened, and it was supposed to boost WDW's numbers, but HS was #9- still WDW's lowest park. Islands went up 6% that year to HS's 2% increase.

Clearly 2020 was an off-year, but Disney only had 5 of the top 10 slots. HS dropped way down.

HS was #7 in 2009, #9 in 2019, and #11 in 2020.

The 2021 report will be closely watched when it is released.
Next years report is going to be veeeeeery interesting. We never got the full impact of GE because covid obviously interrupted that. It would have been interesting to compare HS numbers from 2018 to 2020 in a different world.

2020 and 2021 numbers are going to be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Disney Glimpses

To clarify a bit, the question asked was ''when did [deluxe] become different treatment as opposed to different accommodations?"

The differences in service ('treatment'] have long been subtle, and not 100% across the board.

There's no way, in a forum like this, to definitively 'prove' that gold Key-to-the-World-Card = being treated a little nicer all over Walt Disney World.

That's why I kept my initial response short. It is what it is.
@MickeyLuv'r these are not perks! These are amenities built into the cost of the room. You are comparing amenities of resorts and rooms with independent rates.

I am truly perplexed how you think it is unfair that a $1,200/night CL room has better room and resort amenities than a $99/night value room. You cannot compare resort A and resort B, both of which have independent pricing and offerings in this scenario. We are again, discussing affiliation perks. Not goods and services paid for directly with money.

For example, when I pay for an AP and get access to the parks, I am paying for access to the park. That is not a "perk." It's literally what I paid for. Getting a 20% discount on merchandise - that would be a perk. You're conflating the purchased product with affiliated perks (which before EEH did not exist).

And "being treated a little nicer" is completely anecdotal and without proof.

Disney Glimpses

What are some of the “potential” changes that may come next year based on your info
They are honestly telling everyone out in the open in their surveys (which I am told they are leaning heavily on here). Right now they are specifically trying to gauge where the lever should be re: price/access. It's going to be a tough go for them because while they will raise the price next year by some degree, I think from a PR standpoint they are limited in how much they can raise it.

So for example, their "plan B" may include a service with a $50 price point that they now cannot do without a massive PR blow.

As for nitty gritty specifics, I have no idea (and FWIW I am told that they don't even know yet).

Edit: I expect them to be more iterative here though as I am told that the suspension of presales is expected to have a substantial impact.

Last edited:

MaximumEd

Ever been to Disneyland? We had family come from Riverside and we took them to WDW. Their experience was not the best.
We have, but not since 2016. We had a blast, and back then it was super easy. My wife still preferred WDW, but the shine came off for me on my first trip to DLR. Not setting foot on a bus the entire time became the main reason I preferred DL and now Uni. That, and Cars Land. RSR is worth the cost in and of itself.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Oh one other perk - or at least difference - is when they do free dining the deluxe resorts got the regular plan while moderate and value got the quick service .... That is probably the type of "variance" that is appropriate

I’m not sure of the exact dates, but remember getting regular DDP (1 Table Service, 1 Quick Service daily) with ‘Free Food’ offers at Moderates when we did so in 2016 and 2017. Probably soon after is when they changed Moderates to be 2 Quick Service daily, and you could upgrade for… maybe like $30 person/day.

bhg469

We have, but not since 2016. We had a blast, and back then it was super easy. My wife still preferred WDW, but the shine came off for me on my first trip to DLR. Not setting foot on a bus the entire time became the main reason I preferred DL and now Uni. That, and Cars Land. RSR is worth the cost in and of itself.
We just loved that the rides were nice and close together,. Their versions with the exception of jungle cruise were all clearly better and India Jones of course!

TheMaxRebo

I need to give DLR another try - we really didn't like our trip too much. It was soooo crowded we could barely walk. And Cast Members were yelling at guests, etc - just way less magical

Showed us that we preferred WDW by a wide margin

MaximumEd

I need to give DLR another try - we really didn't like our trip too much. It was soooo crowded we could barely walk. And Cast Members were yelling at guests, etc - just way less magical

Showed us that we preferred WDW by a wide margin
We went during the week in October. Granted, it was almost 6 years ago, but the crowds weren’t bad. We made sure to go during a time there were no big conventions at the Anaheim center. YMMV these days. Haven’t kept up with DL crowds in some time.

Jeff4272

This is very interesting and if executed properly then it just might get me back. Now I know why Top of the World lounge hasn’t reopened yet, because they were going to charge you for it

But if this gave DVC members 3 anytime LL’s I’d be all in

MickeyLuv'r

But all you did was describe what people are paying for at deluxe resorts, mostly describing concierge level because I guarantee you that free beer and other beverages do not come along with a deluxe room. Those aren't perks. A perk is what Universal provides when it gives its deluxe resort guests free Express Pass. At most, Disney gives Extended Evening Hours, as noted by @disneyglimpses.
Heh?
When I stay at a Universal Deluxe hotel, I am absolutely paying to have Express Pass. Sapphire Falls is just as nice as Royal Pacific, but Express Pass isn't part of the SF package. Club Level is also a paid service. Unless you happen to get it as a free upgrade. WDW sometimes does this, or did. It is a sweet perk to get for free!

I don't understand your hostility though. Most of my WDW stays were not CL, many at the value hotels and offsite.

I'm sorry I tried to provide details about CL.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom