Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Most Disney vacationers spend 1-2 days at Universal. I'm not convinced that changes after Epic Universe opens; I think most people will just omit one of the parks they've already visited before in the past (or spend less time there).
I’m not convinced that is the case for “most” some maybe. I expect more however to try or visit Uni more in the future however.

I know a travel agent who says clients booking Uni vacations is way up while Disney is and has been flat.

Disney Glimpses

I’m not convinced that is the case for “most” some maybe. I expect more however to try or visit Uni more in the future however.

I know a travel agent who says clients booking Uni vacations is way up while Disney is and has been flat.
I hope this trend continues. Disney needs a significant reality check that their failures will cost them.

Disney Glimpses

Is this a figure that's published somewhere?
Sorry, I should say most Disney goers who visit Universal (not all Disney goers visit Universal, most don't). No it's not a published statistic but in all my years of experience professionally and as a guest, I rarely run into a guest who is spending 3 or more days at Universal while on their trip to Disney. In the 90s, most shot over there for a day. That's turned into 2 days more recently though. So who knows, maybe EU could make that 3 (split stay) as you suggest and then eventually Disney would be the one they are taking a day or two to visit.

But I seriously, seriously doubt that will ever happen. Despite Disney's shortcomings, they are still unmatched IMHO.

Last edited:

CuteAsMinnie

Sorry, I should say most Disney goers who visit Universal (not all Disney goers visit Universal, most don't). No it's not a published statistic but in all my years of experience professionally and as a guest, I rarely run into a guest who is spending 3 or more days at Universal while on their trip to Disney. In the 90s, most shot over there for a day. That's turned into 2 days more recently though. So who knows, maybe EU could make that 3 (split stay) as you suggest and then eventually Disney would be the one they are taking a day or two to visit.

But I seriously, seriously doubt that will ever happen. Despite Disney's shortcomings, they are still unmatched IMHO.
We have never spent a day at universal, nor do we have any desire to do so. But what has happened is our 12 day trip shrinked to seven days throughout the years and now it’s only five, and next will be only 2-3. It’s been years since we’ve spent a dime on any merch at all.

bhg469

We have never spent a day at universal, nor do we have any desire to do so. But what has happened is our 12 day trip shrinked to seven days throughout the years and now it’s only five, and next will be only 2-3. It’s been years since we’ve spent a dime on any merch at all.
You should seriously consider it. I never thought I would but I was really impressed with how the experience has shifted to the competition.

Jrb1979

Most Disney vacationers spend 1-2 days at Universal. I'm not convinced that changes after Epic Universe opens; I think most people will just omit one of the parks they've already visited before in the past (or spend less time there).
I don't know about that. I know it's anecdotal but there I have seen a lot more posts from Disney loyalists going to Universal for the first time. I do think they will still visit Disney but if EU hits it out of the park I do see it switching to Disney being the park that gets the 1-2 day visit.

The thing Disney has going for it is great for those with little kids.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I don't know about that. I know it's anecdotal but there I have seen a lot more posts from Disney loyalists going to Universal for the first time. I do think they will still visit Disney but if EU hits it out of the park I do see it switching to Disney being the park that gets the 1-2 day visit.

Start charging astronomical prices to skip the lines or force people to wait in hour long lines and that will change as well. Imo todays generation is not going to say to mommy & daddy this is fun.

Jrb1979

Start charging astronomical prices to skip the lines or force people to wait in hour long lines and that will change as well. Imo todays generation is not going to say to mommy & daddy this is fun.
I know Disney is different and there is lots to do. Waiting in line is part of going to parks. It's funny todays generation has no issues standing in line at other parks. My 2 year old had no issues waiting in 30 minute queues for kid rides at my local park.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I know Disney is different and there is lots to do. Waiting in line is part of going to parks. It's funny todays generation has no issues standing in line at other parks. My 2 year old had no issues waiting in 30 minute queues for kid rides at my local park.
30 minutes is not an hour or more far from it especially when this is a vacation which local parks are not. Also 2 yr olds to me easier to deal with than say someone 6-10 for arguments sake. Just my thoughts. My opinion.

Patcheslee

People do have issues standing in long lines at other park. If not, line skip and DAS programs wouldn't be in place.

yensidtlaw1969

I suppose it all comes down to what people are looking for - I've been going to Disney all my life, having made many trips to WDW and a healthy handful to some of the other Disney parks around the world, and have been to Universal Orlando twice. Once shortly after Islands of Adventure opened, and once shortly after Diagon Alley opened. I enjoyed myself both times, but there was plenty I found underwhelming, and while I've found myself in recent years wanting to spend less time at Disney I haven't found myself wanting to spend any more time at Universal.

I'm prepared to give Epic Universe a try when the day comes, but I'm not particularly interested in much of what is rumored for the park. I think I'm just not someone who's interested in the flavor Universal has to offer. And it frustrates me to see Disney more and more trying to alter their own recipe to try to stick it to Universal instead of just doing their own thing, which worked for so long because the flavor was so good.

It sometimes feels like they're trying to reinvent the wheel when all we want is for them to soup up the car and repave the roads.

TheMaxRebo

That is what we did our last trip, added in a stay at Universal for the first time. Did 4 nights at Disney and 3 at Universal ... I expect this type of behavior for others to only increase going forward

We enjoyed Universal - and certainly is an "easier" experience .... But it also highlighted the things we prefer about Disney - and I guess why we are "Disney people"

I can see us doing a similar trip in the future, especially once EU opens but I really can't see ever doing a trip to Orlando and only doing Universal.

So maybe less days at Disney, but as they add in more costs they are probably getting the same total $ out of me in 4 days as they would have in 7 so they are probably fine with it.

Jrb1979

That is what we did our last trip, added in a stay at Universal for the first time. Did 4 nights at Disney and 3 at Universal ... I expect this type of behavior for others to only increase going forward

We enjoyed Universal - and certainly is an "easier" experience .... But it also highlighted the things we prefer about Disney - and I guess why we are "Disney people"

I can see us doing a similar trip in the future, especially once EU opens but I really can't see ever doing a trip to Orlando and only doing Universal.

So maybe less days at Disney, but as they add in more costs they are probably getting the same total $ out of me in 4 days as they would have in 7 so they are probably fine with it.
For those that are on these boards I would expect that. For your average guest they may opt for Universal for their whole vacation.

mikejs78

Premium Member
For those that are on these boards I would expect that. For your average guest they may opt for Universal for their whole vacation.
I don't know. In my real life circles, I hear all the time of people wanting to take their kids to Disney, planning Disney trips, etc. Rarely do I hear about planning a trip to Universal. It happens here and there, but for people who aren't plugged into things, Disney is still the place to go.

bhg469

I don't know. In my real life circles, I hear all the time of people wanting to take their kids to Disney, planning Disney trips, etc. Rarely do I hear about planning a trip to Universal. It happens here and there, but for people who aren't plugged into things, Disney is still the place to go.
The vacation planner we know back in NY is definitely promoting both equally now. As for myself, I am an annual passholder and once Epic Universe opens we are switching passes for sure. Disney has proven time and time again they do not put any focus on passholders.

Ayla

I suppose it all comes down to what people are looking for - I've been going to Disney all my life, having made many trips to WDW and a healthy handful to some of the other Disney parks around the world, and have been to Universal Orlando twice. Once shortly after Islands of Adventure opened, and once shortly after Diagon Alley opened. I enjoyed myself both times, but there was plenty I found underwhelming, and while I've found myself in recent years wanting to spend less time at Disney I haven't found myself wanting to spend any more time at Universal.

I'm prepared to give Epic Universe a try when the day comes, but I'm not particularly interested in much of what is rumored for the park. I think I'm just not someone who's interested in the flavor Universal has to offer. And it frustrates me to see Disney more and more trying to alter their own recipe to try to stick it to Universal instead of just doing their own thing, which worked for so long because the flavor was so good.

It sometimes feels like they're trying to reinvent the wheel when all we want is for them to soup up the car and repave the roads.
This is me, too. I won't be spending time at Disney, anymore, but that time won't be replaced by going to Universal instead. It just isn't a place I'm interested in visiting.

TheMaxRebo

Maybe, but also might be people that haven't done Orlando and are attracted by EU but add in Disney as well as "while they are there" might as well check that out

Know people who just did their first Orlando trip, big Potter fans, and they still allocated more time to Disney. Disney is still the big draw, even if Universal starts taking a higher share of the pie

Obviously we will find out in the future what will really happen but I personally feel reports of Disney's demise to be a bit exaggerated

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom