Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
And then we get into the real conundrum they face with pricing - How do they limit demand? By doubling prices across the board (at a minimum). But then they alienate a significant portion of their audience and create a PR nightmare. Or they can continue on the death-by-a-thousand-cuts/declining-by-degrees approach and run the risk of alienating consumers over the long haul and deplete the goodwill and nostalgia they are milking daily.

Ah, who cares, though? The next recession will wash away things pretty well. At least I and many others hope it does.
I truly dk FP approval numbers but definitely certain it is way better than genie so why not just charge for the product that worked best for what your parks capacity can handle? again seems like the best option for them right now until they add some serious capacity to these 4 parks.

DCBaker

Premium Member
According to an update from Disney, Meet Favorite Disney Pals at Adventurers Outpost will be added to Genie+ on June 19, 2022, along with Finding Nemo: The Big Blue...and Beyond! on June 13th. (edited to fix typo)

Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 11.14.03 AM.png

Last edited:

WDWFREAK53

I have to say I disagree with this. Disney cares about its guests but its demise is a product of its own success. Almost every single issue guests complain about can be attributed to Disney Parks being too popular.

This leaves Disney with 2 options: reduce demand by raising the price (at the risk of increased volatility) or limit supply and voluntarily leave money on the table.

These aren't easy problems and Disney has demonstrated serious restraint here, in my opinion. They aren't perfect and have made boneheaded decisions (mistakes), but they do still care about their product and their reputation; much of which is guest experience. Mistakes are mistakes. They aren't intentionally trying to upset guests.
Or...you know...a 3rd option.

Expand the experiences to allow for more people and spread those people out so the parks don't feel as congested. This doesn't mean, "They announced a ride and in 4 years we will get to experience it!". True park expansion. Multiple headliner attractions in each park that spread the crowds out. It seems unfeasible now but if they had been building this way for the past few decades they wouldn't be in this problem. They raked in the cash early on without bringing much in the way of new experiences and now it's coming back to bite them and they'll need to shell out a bunch of money all at once to catch up.

Jrb1979

Expand the experiences to allow for more people and spread those people out so the parks don't feel as congested. This doesn't mean, "They announced a ride and in 4 years we will get to experience it!". True park expansion. Multiple headliner attractions in each park that spread the crowds out. It seems unfeasible now but if they had been building this way for the past few decades they wouldn't be in this problem. They raked in the cash early on without bringing much in the way of new experiences and now it's coming back to bite them and they'll need to shell out a bunch of money all at once to catch up.
I agree somewhat. Instead of focusing on headliners. They need more mid level attractions.

SteveAZee

And then we get into the real conundrum they face with pricing - How do they limit demand? By doubling prices across the board (at a minimum). But then they alienate a significant portion of their audience and create a PR nightmare. Or they can continue on the death-by-a-thousand-cuts/declining-by-degrees approach and run the risk of alienating consumers over the long haul and deplete the goodwill and nostalgia they are milking daily.

Ah, who cares, though? The next recession will wash away things pretty well. At least I and many others hope it does.
I think Disney has all the tools they need for a blended solution. They already have seasonal pricing and caps on 'park reservations', so they could schedule times during the year where they really spike prices across the board (hotels and park entry) but cut way back on how many people can get into the parks each day. Try it for a week and see how it goes... expand it to two weeks if it catches on (rinse and repeat). Keep the remainder of the year with the prices as they are. You can keep the guests that are OK with current pricing, but then also hold onto the higher end folk who want a less densely packed experience (and shorter lines without needing to fiddle with G+ or ILL).

drizgirl

This, this and this!!!^^^

Everyone keeps assuming there are only 2 options. And Disney thanks them for running cover.

Everyone assumes the task is too large. But that’s only because they used the parks as an ATM for a very long time and now need to play catch up. Time to make some long delayed deposits. And not just tit for tat, close this and open that stuff. Net new attractions with significant net new capacity.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Here at the parks using genie+ now. Had FP+ down to a science but this new system is HORRIBLE. Mad scramble the day of is bad, zig zagging throughout the parks is bad and inefficient, no way to plan where to be and when you take whatever it gives you which is bad, I could go on but I’m tired and will vent more another day but as a long time dvc member, annual pass holder, and frequent visitor, the Disney parks experience is not as good as is used to be. In fact it’s more frustrating than enjoyable at times. If they want to charge for something extra whatever, but make it a decent system and quit trying to make things more difficult than the time before. I guarantee the inventor of this has never had to use it with their family.

Jeff4272

Our reader feedback is overwhelmingly negative. Wanted to see if Disney’s is the same.
I just read that article that you were interviewed for and the picture I reference from the Washington Post.

I hope you are wrong about them continuing to increase prices while not improving the experience Len.

We love Disney but won’t be back unless it’s changes. Out thanksgiving trip this year was awful

StarshipDisney

I recently upgraded our 4-day tickets for December 2022 to include Genie+. I already know it sucks but may as well try it since it is what Disney has now. Perhaps...maybe...we can ride one good ride each day.

But the impacts are already there:

- Genie+ is why I reduced our normal 8-day tickets to 4-day tickets
- Genie+ is why we will spend the other 4-days at Universal/Portofino Bay with free Express Pass

I already will be spending much less time and $$$ at Disney than we did in the past. I doubt I will ever again see Disney as a one-stop vacation destination.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom