Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

DCLcruiser

Where did they buy park tickets? If from Disney they are pretty good at the disclaimers. UT is a little tricky because if you click the "Buy Tickets" button it skips you right past the disclaimer to pick dates.
While there are a ton of disclaimers, the system does not require you to check availability prior to purchase. The system should stop you, and make you check. Like a disclaimer pop-up. Even if you don't reserve at that time, at least you can't say you didn't know.

Then it should email or send a push notification as a reminder.

WDWFREAK53

I just talked to someone who went over spring break. He assumed staying onsite = access to the parks. While we know differently, it was understandable.

I mean, he stayed at Beach Club. So his take was, "I could see two theme parks from my hotel window, and I bought a park ticket for all of our days, but they still wouldn't let me enter the park? That just isn't good customer service."

His family could only go to Epcot for 3 of their 5 days. They got 1 MK day and 1 AK day. they had been to WDW a few times before, so they thought they already knew the basics of how WDW worked.

Why wouldn't he think that? We know that parks can fill to capacity. I think the confusion to most is that they don't make you automatically select a park day at time of purchase. You can add park tickets to your reservation and then need to go in and manually select the days. Maybe it shouldn't be a "3-day base ticket" but a "3-day combo ticket with admission to 1 day at Magic Kingdom, 1 day at Hollywood Studios, and 1 day at Epcot" (With your choice of parks to select at time of purchase).

I know it's muddying up the waters even more but they've really done this to themselves at this point.

MickeyLuv'r

Why wouldn't he think that? We know that parks can fill to capacity. I think the confusion to most is that they don't make you automatically select a park day at time of purchase. You can add park tickets to your reservation and then need to go in and manually select the days. Maybe it shouldn't be a "3-day base ticket" but a "3-day combo ticket with admission to 1 day at Magic Kingdom, 1 day at Hollywood Studios, and 1 day at Epcot" (With your choice of parks to select at time of purchase).

I know it's muddying up the waters even more but they've really done this to themselves at this point.
We know that, as WDW forum members.

I don't know, I'm not trying to answer for every person that goes to WDW...just one person out of many.

I agree selecting a park ought to happen before WDW collects the price of a ticket.

Though really, the current park reservation system is just bad policy on many fronts.

nickys

Premium Member
We know that, as WDW forum members.

I don't know, I'm not trying to answer for every person that goes to WDW...just one person out of many.

I agree selecting a park ought to happen before WDW collects the price of a ticket.

Though really, the current park reservation system is just bad policy on many fronts.
That doesn’t work for packages though. Imagine having to decide what parks you wanted before being able to book a package.

By the time you’d done that the resort might have sold out for the dates you’d just booked.

UNCgolf

I still think that onsite should not have to do park reservations (or have an unlimited pool so they can be changed at will).

I don't know why Disney doesn't do this, as well as give on-site some better Genie+ options. It's a way to attract more people to the Disney resorts.

The only real reason I can think of for them to not do it is that they know the system is so terrible that if on-site guests got special benefits it might actually cause them to lose business. Some people might decide it's just not worth going if you can't stay on-site, and they may not be able to afford the Disney resort prices.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I still think that onsite should not have to do park reservations (or have an unlimited pool so they can be changed at will).
Totally agree!
I only stayed on site once. Having said that, Folks staying on site should not have to make park pass reservations and should not have to pay for the daily Genie +, just pay for the individual lighting lane if they choose.

Lets face it, these folks are OVERPAYING for their rooms. Throw them a bone and give some back.

Animaniac93-98

You used to be guaranteed park admission with an on-site stay, even when the parks were closed to capacity.

Totally unjustified to say someone with a valid ticket staying at a Disney hotel would not be allowed into a park. The park hopping restrictions are bad enough, Disney hotel guests shouldn't have to deal with this either.

Jrb1979

You used to be guaranteed park admission with an on-site stay, even when the parks were closed to capacity.

Totally unjustified to say someone with a valid ticket staying at a Disney hotel would not be allowed into a park. The park hopping restrictions are bad enough, Disney hotel guests shouldn't have to deal with this either.
I agree they shouldn't but till people stop going nothing is going to change.

bjlc57

why is this so complicated.. you had many years of fast pass.. it worked.. no one or few complained.. and those who did .. did not do their homework.. now you have to be on your flippin cell phone 8 hours of the day just to make this work.. I don't come to WDW to go back to my cell phone.. I come here to ESCAPE MY CELL PHONE.. in fact I used to get mad at guys talking and screaming on the pay phones , making deals with their business back at home.. Disney is the place to leave the real world behind.. not to carry it with you in your back pocket or your purse.. and I will pay more.. just to go back..but don't do this to us.

THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE A KID AGAIN. not a place where you are tied to the computer in YOUR FLIPP"N CELL PHONE just so you can ride on a ride.. WALT WOULD FIRE EVERYONE OF THEM.. in a NEW YORK MINUTE..

TrojanUSC

why is this so complicated.. you had many years of fast pass.. it worked.. no one or few complained.. and those who did .. did not do their homework.. now you have to be on your flippin cell phone 8 hours of the day just to make this work.. I don't come to WDW to go back to my cell phone.. I come here to ESCAPE MY CELL PHONE.. in fact I used to get mad at guys talking and screaming on the pay phones , making deals with their business back at home.. Disney is the place to leave the real world behind.. not to carry it with you in your back pocket or your purse.. and I will pay more.. just to go back..but don't do this to us.

THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE A KID AGAIN. not a place where you are tied to the computer in YOUR FLIPP"N CELL PHONE just so you can ride on a ride.. WALT WOULD FIRE EVERYONE OF THEM.. in a NEW YORK MINUTE..

Because FP+ worked well for a minority of guests. Last minute guests, those without resort reservations and APs were kind of left in the dust unless you wanted to "pound the app," as the blogs would say.

Also it was a shell game in that the moment you stepped into a standby line, you were waiting much longer than you would have had there not been any FP. Genie+ isn't ideal, mostly because there isn't enough attractions to justify the cost, but they were the last company standing without a paid "skip the line" service, minus VIP tours, so to think Bob Chapek and Co. weren't keen to generate extra cash is shortsighted.

I arrive at the park mid day tomorrow. Am I correct that I have to book the earliest window on genie+? If I sign in at 7 AM, I can’t change my return window to be later than listed?

I.e. return window for mine train is 10 to 11 but I want it to be between 2 and 3

nickys

Premium Member
I arrive at the park mid day tomorrow. Am I correct that I have to book the earliest window on genie+? If I sign in at 7 AM, I can’t change my return window to be later than listed?

I.e. return window for mine train is 10 to 11 but I want it to be between 2 and 3
For Genie+ you just need to keep refreshing until a suitable time comes up. As long as you book the first one before park opening you can book your second one 2 hrs after park opening. Doesn’t matter if you book at 7am or 8:59am if you’re wanting afternoon times.

BUT the mine train is an ILL, for which you pay extra. So for that you select a time. In theory. Which may change before you finalise it.

Chi84

Premium Member
For Genie+ you just need to keep refreshing until a suitable time comes up. As long as you book the first one before park opening you can book your second one 2 hrs after park opening. Doesn’t matter if you book at 7am or 8:59am if you’re wanting afternoon times.

BUT the mine train is an ILL, for which you pay extra. So for that you select a time. In theory. Which may change before you finalise it.
We selected 1:05 for Rise but it switched to 3:40 so we took that and stayed at HS longer than we planned. Then the ride broke down and only part of our group was able to ride. We did get a refund from guest services.

Witchy Chick

Is there a glitch in the Matrix today?

D0EB2BB7-160F-4226-BA46-4DC91B6A9A77.png

8:37am on a level 7 TP day and still G+ available for both Rise and SDD?

Rescue Ranger

I'll be going on my first solo visit in a few weeks and I havent even looked at nor given any attention to Genie+. I can't warrant it. For me, it's an unnecessary hindrance.

It's what you make of it. I'm happy just to be in the atmosphere. If there is a crazy line and I feel like waiting I will, if not, I'll check the wait out again later or maybe not even ride at all? Same with dining. I made one adr. There are 1 or 2 other dining options I'd like and will try for but if it doesn't work out, I'll try something different.

I'll have my park hoppers and will go at my own pace. Not having to worry about lines, a ton of reservations or overly planning is actually amazing and this may be my most carefree WDW trip in years. The way it SHOULD be. At times, a 75min line can be a luxry compared to the hassle of the alternative. For me going in with the right mindset can completely make or break the experience.

Genie+ is available for those that need it but it's wonderful that it's still posisble to have a great visit without it.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I'll be going on my first solo visit in a few weeks and I havent even looked at nor given any attention to Genie+. I can't warrant it. For me, it's an unnecessary hindrance.

It's what you make of it. I'm happy just to be in the atmosphere. If there is a crazy line and I feel like waiting I will, if not, I'll check the wait out again later or maybe not even ride at all? Same with dining. I made one adr. There are 1 or 2 other dining options I'd like and will try for but if it doesn't work out, I'll try something different.

I'll have my park hoppers and will go at my own pace. Not having to worry about lines, a ton of reservations or overly planning is actually amazing and this may be my most carefree WDW trip in years. The way it SHOULD be. At times, a 75min line can be a luxry compared to the hassle of the alternative. For me going in with the right mindset can completely make or break the experience.
Maybe it’s designed for solo visitors. There are a lot of families that visit WDW and for them scheduling is essential. Genie+ should work pretty well for you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom