Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Rob562

So broken that the company now actively discourages people from buying G+

So basically they're saying, "Our product sucks. Make sure you know that because we are not standing behind what we're selling you."
This was posted at 10pm, and I assume the screenshot was taken about that time. Even if the poster was Eastern timezone, that's 7pm in Anaheim. By that point most reservations are probably gone. You're saying that guests should freely be able to buy G+ with no warning from Disney it might not be a good idea?

-Rob

nickys

Premium Member
This was posted at 10pm, and I assume the screenshot was taken about that time. Even if the poster was Eastern timezone, that's 7pm in Anaheim. By that point most reservations are probably gone. You're saying that guests should freely be able to buy G+ with no warning from Disney it might not be a good idea?

-Rob
Why not just suspend sales if it’s not worthwhile. Why would a reputable company keep selling it?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
This seems to have “Disney Legal” fingerprints all over it. I think there is still an active lawsuit over AP allotments if I m not mistaken. Wonder if there are any that have been filed recently against G+

I’m not saying that any suit is going to be successful- merely stating it seems like a CYA move.

Rob562

Why not just suspend sales if it’s not worthwhile. Why would a reputable company keep selling it?

And what of that 5% that would be ok with what's left, knowing the limitations? I just watched a Tim Tracker video where he knowingly bought G+ at Epcot and would only be doing 2 or 3 low-tier attractions.

In this situation, is it better to warn off the 95% but still allow the 5% to do what they want, or keep the 5% from doing what they want to automatically block the 95%?

-Rob

Chi84

Premium Member
And what of that 5% that would be ok with what's left, knowing the limitations? I just watched a Tim Tracker video where he knowingly bought G+ at Epcot and would only be doing 2 or 3 low-tier attractions.

In this situation, is it better to warn off the 95% but still allow the 5% to do what they want, or keep the 5% from doing what they want to automatically block the 95%?

-Rob
It’s better not to offer a product that gives only 5% of the people buying it what they want. Your post speaks volumes as to the poor quality of this product.

nickys

Premium Member

-Rob
They haven’t felt the need to put that warning up late afternoon say at DHS when reports suggest all there is left are a few low tier attractions.

The fact that they’re putting this up at all suggests they realise there is a big problem. In other words they have been issuing a lot of refunds and want to try and stop doing so.

CAV

Let's hope they make tweaks to the system. It's obviously a broken system..
If you think this is the system, I think you are mistaken. This is just a stepping stone to another system. Disney is thinking two or three steps ahead. G
Just completed our annual WDW trip (3/27-3/29). Park hopper tickets, 4 parks in 3 days. Although I hate paying for it and it has its quirks (sliding return times) I actually kind of prefer it to FP+. You absolutely have to be ready and on your phone at 7 each morning and rope dropping is a must. Purchased 1 ILL each day. Managed to complete every ride at HS. Every ride at Epcot. Everything but Dinosaur and TriceraTop Spin (EE closed) at AK and everything but JC at MK.

LL’s per day
4 - HS
0 - AK (stacked LL’s for PM at Epcot)
4 - Epcot
6 - MK

I think I liked it because it brought back some spontaneity to the day. I did find myself criss-crossing the parks more than I care to do normally but you CAN do it all with the new system

Just completed our annual WDW trip (3/27-3/29). Park hopper tickets, 4 parks in 3 days. Although I hate paying for it and it has its quirks (sliding return times) I actually kind of prefer it to FP+. You absolutely have to be ready and on your phone at 7 each morning and rope dropping is a must. Purchased 1 ILL each day. Managed to complete every ride at HS. Every ride at Epcot. Everything but Dinosaur and TriceraTop Spin (EE closed) at AK and everything but JC at MK.

LL’s per day
4 - HS
0 - AK (stacked LL’s for PM at Epcot)
4 - Epcot
6 - MK

I think I liked it because it brought back some spontaneity to the day. I did find myself criss-crossing the parks more than I care to do normally but you CAN do it all with the new system.
Doesn't sound like you liked it at all. You just rationalized it.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Not really, based on personal experience. Lines moved constantly and what Disney said was an 90 minute line was usually 1/2 to 2/3 of that. It’s amazing how your mindset changes when you aren’t standing in one spot for 5 minutes at a time.
We did a quick princess half marathon trip a few months ago. First use of genie+. We tried it out so that I would know what to recommend for a big family reunion in a few months. Anyway, in the mornings all the waits were much shorter than posted. I'd say the lower end of your 1/2 to 2/3 estimate was the norm. In the afternoon, the waits were spot on. We thought they might be exaggerating waits in the morning to increase genie plus purchases, but I really don't want to think they'd be that manipulative.

dmw

In the Parks
No
At least you got the rides you wanted, if not at the exact time and day you preferred. Have you experienced Genie+ in conjunction with the park reservation system? You have little or no control over times except for the paid ILLs (if you can get them) - if you want a specific time compatible with the rest of your plans or with park hopping, you need to start working on it before 7 am each day of your trip and keep refreshing. Even then, you may get a time outside of the window you thought you were reserving. And if you don't get your favorite ride or it goes down on the day of your park reservation, given what we're seeing on the park reservation calendar, you may not get to change your reservation to try another day. Oh yeah, and unlike FP+ you get to pay for it.
no, I have not been back to Disney since our last visit in Dec 2019. And, your description of the changes (and that of others) has me very concerned about future trips.

po1998

We bought Genie+ last minute when we visited Epcot and MK in late March. I had read about it previously, but did not know all the details. Biggest disappointment…you could only use it once per attraction. 👎🏻

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom