Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

DfromATX

The a la carte Individual Lightning Lanes (aka Fancy Rides) are completely separate from Genie+, not "in addition to" Genie+. You don't need to buy Genie+ to buy an Individual Lightning Lane.

OK thanks. Didn't know that. I thought one would buy Genie+ (and be able to book the non-fancy rides), but others were extra like Rise of Resistance, etc. How would one buy an ILL ride without Genie+? Not that I would because I hate the whole thing.

co10064

Premium Member
During my trip this week I experienced Genie+ firsthand, and I must say I was not at all impressed. Even if the system was totally free, the interface is extremely confusing to use, especially if you are used to the old FastPass+ system. Not being able to modify selections and choose return times is a big loss to the system. The "cancel selection" button was either extremely hard to find or missing entirely. The worst part of the system was that on more than one occasion, my confirmed return time was somehow altered. I expressed my frustrations to a Cast Member at guest relations and he seemed unbothered. It was necessary to have if you wanted a decent experience at the parks, but the system was flawed in so many ways.

JAB

OK thanks. Didn't know that. I thought one would buy Genie+ (and be able to book the non-fancy rides), but others were extra like Rise of Resistance, etc. How would one buy an ILL ride without Genie+? Not that I would because I hate the whole thing.
The easiest way is probably through the Tip Board in the MDE app which shows the current wait times and LL return times; the rides that have G+LL or ILL have buttons to book a LL. The buttons for ILL rides show the price per person and will take you to a payment screen and then let you book your LL regardless of whether you have purchased Genie+; whereas the buttons for Genie+ rides will only let you book a LL if you've purchased Genie+.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
During my trip this week I experienced Genie+ firsthand, and I must say I was not at all impressed. Even if the system was totally free, the interface is extremely confusing to use, especially if you are used to the old FastPass+ system. Not being able to modify selections and choose return times is a big loss to the system. The "cancel selection" button was either extremely hard to find or missing entirely. The worst part of the system was that on more than one occasion, my confirmed return time was somehow altered. I expressed my frustrations to a Cast Member at guest relations and he seemed unbothered. It was necessary to have if you wanted a decent experience at the parks, but the system was flawed in so many ways.
I think they tried to merge the old maxpass system - sorta - and the old fastpass system…sorta

The problem is this:
Maxpass was great…but it wasn’t “standard” because of Disneyland’s local clientele. Using it in wdw would have crashed it.
Fastpass+ still sucked…it was a way of rationing resources to crowds that was Too large and also lowered the bar on what a ticket got you. Insidiously successful…an Iger hallmark

Now combine the two now? Cluster

Waters Back Side

As soon as GOG opens end of May and Tron opens, Frozen and Space would have moved anyway to Genie +. It is less incentive until then though for resort guests who had 7am priveleges for the ILLs. Now they have 4 instead of 8.

Last edited:

TiggerDad

Agreed. For our first trip with G+, it was really hard to get used to. We had to leave mid-day for a few hours, which limited our flexibility. I selected 10 am for Rise, and it returned 5:00 when we wouldn’t be back. I asked for 7 and it was too late.

The different screens for wait times and tip boards were not intuitive and overall just not as easy to use as pre pandemic. My wife had to wait a half hour for food once she checked in on mobile order, in addition to having to order an hour in advance.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's a commitment, but you can't really argue most of his methodology. Absolutely eye-opening.

I watched it last night and it was excellent. Especially the history of Bruce Laval…the type of person that used his instincts/talents to make the Disney parks what they are and would NEVER be hired by the current regime today.

Highly recommend that everyone watch it. Especially those that claimed - falsely from the start - how great fastpass+ was. A selfish stance of insiders that missed the big/longterm picture…not surprising.

This is straight math…facts…science. So like…”true”…and .

Instead of the tired, standard,” I THINK it’s great FOR ME” junk.

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I don't know about you all, but I solved all my Disney Genie+ and Lightning Lane issues. It was super easy to do and saved me a lot of money overall. You can do it too by following this one piece of not so super secret advice!

Just Click Here To find out what that one piece of super secret advice is.
Don't go!
For the price of 2 weeks at WDW, I'm going on two week long cruises.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't know about you all, but I solved all my Disney Genie+ and Lightning Lane issues. It was super easy to do and saved me a lot of money overall. You can do it too by following this one piece of not so super secret advice!

Just Click Here To find out what that one piece of super secret advice is.
Don't go!
For the price of 2 weeks at WDW, I'm going on two week long cruises.
Awesome…When and where to?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom