Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

DisneyCane

I've got to admit - I just got back from a trip to WDW and despite my initial concerns about Genie+, I have to say, grudgingly, that it worked wonderfully for me.

Yes, the interface needs work. Having the tip board and "my day" next to each other is a bit much. But scheduling LL's and purchasing ILL passes was amazingly easy. In MK, my party was able to do everything they wanted - including mine train. We hit everything we wanted and even tried a few new things. I looked at my phone less than I expected and overall, I had a much more enjoyable time.

Epcot was similar. Rode Rat twice, Soaring twice and Frozen. No worries. DHS was a bit different - we could have bought Rise but instead went for Toy Story Mania and then decided to walk the park instead of focus on rides (We've already ridded Rise and Falcon before).

I have to say, I am impressed. I thought I would hate Genie+, but ended up a fan. Even told Guest Services such.
At Epcot the other day I rode TT with a short wait, Frozen with a 30 minute wait and SSE walk on without paying a dime extra. I skipped Rat because I didn't like the ride much when I rode it the first time and skipped 'Soarin because it's not that great since the change to "over the world" but I could have had under a 20 minute wait for that as well.

aaronml

The site that shall not be named posted that you can no longer pre-purchase a 1-day ticket with Genie+. Instead, guests with a 1-day ticket will have to buy Genie+ on the day of their visit.

This seems like an extremely odd change…. not really sure what TDO’s motivation is here.

Lirael

The site that shall not be named posted that you can no longer pre-purchase a 1-day ticket with Genie+. Instead, guests with a 1-day ticket will have to buy Genie+ on the day of their visit.

This seems like an extremely odd change…. not really sure what TDO’s motivation is here.
Disneyfoodblog reported the same thing.

Maybe it's a weird attempt to incentivize buying multiple days? Except you need to make your selection on the day either way so it feels pointless.

SpoiledBlueMilk

1 - I have no problem paying to make things easier and have the fortunate ability to be highly elastic to price changes.

2 - I normally wake up before 7am anyway so not an issue.

3 - return times did not impact my trip as I was able to plan everything I wanted to do in the first instance.

4 - Here are the days/parks: Returned from a trip at Wilderness Lodge from 2/9 to 2/14. MK on the 10th, Epcot on the 11th, MK again on the 12th, DHS/Epcot on the 13th. Dining reservations: Steakhouse 71, Be Our Guest, Plaza, Biergarten, Space 220, Brown Derby, and California Grill.

5 - When I was there, ride times weren't triple digits that I could tell, at least for the attractions I cared about.

6 - As I said in my post, I actually spent less time on my phone than I expected.

Sorry, but the post is true because I lived it and I don't work for Disney or live in Florida.

Last edited by a moderator:

G00fyDad

Hah - well I get it. I have my own problems with Disney, but I still love the parks. Now my friends who are FL residents and joined me for this trip are back in the parks again and it is so crowded it looks like the 7th level of hell. Maybe I just lucked out on crowd levels.
Probably. Touring Plans just updated the crowd predictions for my October trip and most days went from 1's and 2's to 4's and 5's. :(

Waters Back Side

So you liked paying for what you used to get for free? you liked waking up before 7am every day on your trip? you liked not being able to choose a return time? And you liked not going on some rides? And you liked being in your phone more than what it used to be?

What days did you go? Ride wait times are in the triple digits.

I just don’t believe a word of your post because it’s not true. Those things can’t be debated. More expensive. Longer lines. Less rides. More time on your phone. Those are facts.

“I want to pay more, wait longer, ride fewer rides and spend more time on my phone”

said no one ever.

Seems like a Disney employee plant.

While some of what you say is definitely true, you are still making it much worse then it is. I was there the busiest week of the year and was able to do things with Genie + that past trips I never was able to accomplish in a day. Like riding Soarin and Test Track and going on Remy all in the same day.

I was able to buy Rise and still get Slinky as my 1st Genie + ride when you said it was impossible. It was not even hard. I focused on 1 ride after buying Rise. I even was able to get Rock N Roller Coaster as my 2nd choice. They also opened the park earlier then usual at 8:30 so 10:30 was the time to get ride #2 and MMRR was also demoted to Genie + tier that week so that might uave helped. I was able to ride it on standby with a 55 minute posted wait. Walked out of the exit 46 minutes after I go on line. I went on 6 rides at HS. 4 of them with Genie +.

With the old FP + and its tiered system these things were not possible. There was never even an option to purchase a ride after the 3 free if someone was willing. And even thought you could select one at a time after, none of the major attractions were ever available. Now several of them are part of the $15s. I was able to use it for 4 rides at MK and 7 for MK on 2 days there. AK I made a mistake and chose Everest (part of the Genie +) tiier my week) instead of Navi River. Otherwise I would have been able to walk onto Navi and FOP in one AK day

So, even though I do not like the 7am wake up and the additional cost, you still can accomplish things that in the past were not possible unless you went to a park twice. The less rides complaint I have to disagree with. I also was on my phone only when it was time to pick a ride. There was no need to look at it otherwise. What would he the reasoning for that? That makes no sense to me. If you cannot pick until 1pm, it matters not what is available...until 1pm.

Like I've mentoned, for the purposes of advanced planning for the entire trip and no cost involved, FP + was the more desirable option. But that does not take away from the fact I did things that I never was able to do with Genie +. I even was able to use Standby to maximize my day on top of the LLs I was able to pick with Genie + and ILL.

If they reverted back to FP, i'd be happy but I'd like the option to keep the ILLs as an option to purchase additionally in advance. 3 free and the option to purchase more. You'd be surprised how many people would take advantage of that. Heck, 50 % of people are already buying Genie + at $15 pp.

Last edited:

Waters Back Side

Apologist. And a lie.

How can you tell me it's a lie when I experienced it? Every day every park I rode no less then 4 rides with Genie +. And 3 of the 4 involved multiple rides that were previously "tier 1" with free FP+.

You are not wrong in some of your claims and complaints. But you make it seem as if there are not some good things about it. I'm being realistic. If you want to think I'm riding the fence instead of leaning one way or another thata fine. My family and I had a good time and used Genie + and it was worth it for us all but one day when we did not need it because we did the World Showcase.

One thing I will concede...with FP+ we usually ended up content with 3 rides because we did a lot of meet and greets and exploring. This past trip was very ride heavy since we purchased Genie+ and character meets are distanced.

Waters Back Side

Apologist. “Charge me more and give me less”

I got charged more. But I also did ride more. I purchased the line skipping product. That's what I paid for.

Was there ever a trip that you took where you can walk onto Soarin and TT and save 2 hours of your day? Or SDD and Rise and save 4 hours? No question it cost money to do that, but to say pay more and get LESS is a simply misleading statement.

Waters Back Side

The only thing that was annoying was the fact that I could not include two members of my party to ILL purchases because they weren't at a Disney deluxe resort, but were staying at a good neighbor deluxe property. But even that was ok because we were flexible with the plans we had.

You are not allowed to pick out some flaws. You have to hate it entirely. 😛

Purduevian

Was there ever a trip that you took where you can walk onto Soarin and TT and save 2 hours of your day? Or SDD and Rise and save 4 hours? No question it cost money to do that, but to say pay more and get LESS is a simply misleading statement.
Yes to Soarin and TT, No to SDD and Rise. FP+ was an incredible system for those of us that abused the crap out of it. In 2019 4th of July week, in an EPCOT day I started with a Soarin, Living with the Land, and Nemo FP all in the first 3 hours. Once on Nemo (just after 2 hours into park open), I started my rolling FP game in which I got SSE, TT, Frozen (x2), another Soarin, and Illuminations FP+ area (RIP). That also was probably my "least" successful FP park that trip as we purposely stopped going for FP+ for awhile so we could enjoy world showcase. I have yet to try G+, I will actually be trying it this month for the first time. However, G+ literally will not let me have the day I had with FP+ in 2019 (with re-rides galore).

Jeff4272

Another solid move by Disney management today.

Guests can no longer purchase genie+ In advance if you are buying a single day ticket. Just another money making move at the expense of customers.

Place is a joke. They could care less about the people. They only care about the bottom line. But suckers continue to pay more to get less. Good luck!

Lirael

What's weird about this move is that it encourages...nothing. Regardless if you bought it alongside your multiday ticket or if you need to buy it the day of, you're still going to have to wake up at 7am either way to grab the rides. At most they're forcing one day ticket people to wake up 6:58am instead to buy it in time to be ready at 7am. Which is hardly going to make anyone think "gosh, I wish I had bought multiday tickets instead"

aaronml

What's weird about this move is that it encourages...nothing. Regardless if you bought it alongside your multiday ticket or if you need to buy it the day of, you're still going to have to wake up at 7am either way to grab the rides. At most they're forcing one day ticket people to wake up 6:58am instead to buy it in time to be ready at 7am. Which is hardly going to make anyone think "gosh, I wish I had bought multiday tickets instead"
It could be (purely theorizing here) an experiment to see if removing the ability to purchase G+ in advance has a meaningful impact on G+ sales. If they find that roughly the same percentage of 1-day ticket holders buy G+ as was the case prior to this change, they might move towards getting rid of the G+ ticket add-on altogether, in favor of only allowing day-of sales.

This would make it easier for them to switch G+ to a dynamic pricing model like what’s done for ILLs.

dreday3

Honestly, I didn't even know you could buy single day Genie in advance! In October we just woke up and purchased it at 7 am each morning.

I guess it won't affect me. 😂

wutisgood

I think the problem I have is it is hard to know the value of genie plus before buying it. If I only got one useful ride in from it I would complain for a refund every time. It seems like some people have had good experiences but other seasoned Disney vacationers have had very poor experiences. I'm not sure if it's the allocations changing, crowd calendars out of whack, or just dumb luck. At this point I would absolutely not plan a vacation untill I at least had a more solid idea of what I could get for my money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom