Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

DCBaker

Premium Member

dovetail65

Tell that to the people who were still running to SDMT when the parks were opening an hour early at Christmas... though it definitely lessens the need for sure.
Well we are beyond the age nor have the need to run for the rides, we are lucky enough to just go another day if we need to. For the younger people going that one time, heck yeah go and run for it.

This upcoming trip we are going with the attitude to walk the bubble more than getting on all the attractions. I can't have pressure on me right now. We will do our ADR and extra tours and if rides and attractions present themselves either through short Standby, Genie+ or LL while walking around we will do them. The years of organizing getting my family on all the rides and attractions in the shortest amount of time as a priority are over. Now the priority is just to be there, we are lucky enough to be able to do that now.

DisneyCane

Tell that to the people who were still running to SDMT when the parks were opening an hour early at Christmas... though it definitely lessens the need for sure.
I think I will discover the meaning of life before I figure out why SDMT is so popular/coveted. I rode it a few days after the COVID reopening with a 10 minute wait and still thought it wasn't worth the wait.

I think I will discover the meaning of life before I figure out why SDMT is so popular/coveted. I rode it a few days after the COVID reopening with a 10 minute wait and still thought it wasn't worth the wait.
I just don't understand it. We casually strolled on past them to Peter Pan which was a walk on. SDMT was a 40 minute wait and backed up to Mad Tea Party. Madness.

rioriz

For the benefit of our fine community here, you MUST tell us !!
Ok this worked twice on this trip:

Day 1: got SM Lightning Lane at 930. Qhen time came it was down so they gave a "use Almost anywhere" pass to use on another attraction. However they allowed me to retrieve another "Lightning" for Space Mountain again at 10:30. Well it was down so was issued another "use anywhere" pass. Then I booked SM again, at 12:15. This time.it just opened. Jumped in SB, 5 minute wait, then used my 12:15, then 1 of my anywhere, and used the other on BtmRr.

Day 2: followed the same routine for ToT, and was able to get on ToT 3 times in a row and RnRc.

So it will always depend what's down and if a return time is given, and relatively soon.

If someone else tried this and got success let us know

SingleRider

Premium Member

Day 1: got SM Lightning Lane at 930. Qhen time came it was down so they gave a "use Almost anywhere" pass to use on another attraction. However they allowed me to retrieve another "Lightning" for Space Mountain again at 10:30. Well it was down so was issued another "use anywhere" pass. Then I booked SM again, at 12:15. This time.it just opened. Jumped in SB, 5 minute wait, then used my 12:15, then 1 of my anywhere, and used the other on BtmRr.

Day 2: followed the same routine for ToT, and was able to get on ToT 3 times in a row and RnRc.

So it will always depend what's down and if a return time is given, and relatively soon.

If your LL time is near park closing (within the last hour or so) and the ride goes down, you get one pass good at most G+ attractions at any WDW park throughout the next day. This happened to me recently and the pass excluded all individual purchase attractions as well as Slinky, Peter Pan, Navi, Soarin, and Test Track but was good on anything else.

rioriz

If your LL time is near park closing (within the last hour or so) and the ride goes down, you get one pass good at most G+ attractions at any WDW park throughout the next day. This happened to me recently and the pass excluded all individual purchase attractions as well as Slinky, Peter Pan, Navi, Soarin, and Test Track but was good on anything else.
I'm not mad at them because I got two free passes, but I wonder why they continue to me offer return times when the ride is still down. It would make sense do not offer any return time until the ride is backup. I'm sure they will figure out this glitch pretty soon

Disstevefan1

The main factor is the attraction you have a LL for happens to be down.

A reasonably good chance these days at WDW unfortunately 😐

So it sounds like even when an attraction is down, you should try to get the next available LL. Never assume because an attraction is down you can’t get a LL, in fact always TRY to get the next available LL of an attraction that is down in hopes to get a “anywhere” pass.

rioriz

The main factor is the attraction you have a LL for happens to be down.

A reasonably good chance these days at WDW unfortunately 😐

So it sounds like even when an attraction is down, you should try to get the next available LL. Never assume because an attraction is down you can’t get a LL, in fact always TRY to get the next available LL of an attraction that is down in hopes to get a “anywhere” pass.
You got it exactly right

flutas

I'm not mad at them because I got two free passes, but I wonder why they continue to me offer return times when the ride is still down. It would make sense do not offer any return time until the ride is backup. I'm sure they will figure out this glitch pretty soon

This happened with MaxPass at DLR, so it seems like they never fixed it.

I specifically remember one day Goofys Sky School was down, and being a not so popular attraction had return times of < 5 minutes.

Well, it would gift you the apology FP 5 minutes after the return time. I had a very large number of makeup passes that day...

Fun fact: MaxPass at DLR also had no real restrictions on the actual "booking" function aside from it had to be for the same day. Book a FP at 12:01am? You can book another one at 1:31am.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
I'm not mad at them because I got two free passes, but I wonder why they continue to me offer return times when the ride is still down. It would make sense do not offer any return time until the ride is backup. I'm sure they will figure out this glitch pretty soo

I can confirm this happened to me multiple times when I was there in November when rides were down & i had a LL it turned basically into the old multiple experience FP excluding the paid attractions for the park I was at.

Chi84

Premium Member
As an addendum to yesterday's post, I checked earlier this morning (9:30 Eastern) and at HS, Rise and SDD were showing not available and MMRR and Millennium Falcon were already around 6 pm. FOP was sold out at AK. At Epcot, Rat was sold out, FEA was at 6:10 and TT was at 8:15.

I don't think this is the kind of flexibility people were hoping for from this system, but so far they do seem to be using and paying for it.

gerarar

Premium Member
I don't think this is the kind of flexibility people were hoping for from this system, but so far they do seem to be using and paying for it.
It didn't really hit me until I rode Rise and saw the amount of LL's passing through at the merge point. In my head, I was like "dang, that's $15 a head right there!". Had me shaking my head and realize how Disney is making buckets from this.

People gobble it right up and I don't blame 'em for avoiding a ~3hr wait that I just waited in standby.

Purduevian

It didn't really hit me until I rode Rise and saw the amount of LL's passing through at the merge point. In my head, I was like "dang, that's $15 a head right there!". Had me shaking my head and realize how Disney is making buckets from this.

People gobble it right up and I don't blame 'em for avoiding a ~3hr wait that I just waited in standby.
If we assume rise gets through about 1600 people per hour on average...
LL+ %Hourly RevenueDaily Revenue (12 hour day)Yearly Revenue(non leap year)
25$6,000$72,000$26,280,000
50$12,000$144,000$52,560,000
75$18,000$216,000$78,840,000
90$21,600$259,200$94,608,000

DisneyDreamer08

I arrive tomorrow and not gonna lie, this Genie business is stressing me out. Seems like I need to be up by 6:45 every day, ready to go, just to have a shot at the rides and times I want. As much as I don’t want to pay, I also don’t want to be crammed into crowded queues with a bunch strangers for hours every day 🤦🏻‍♀️

Chi84

Premium Member
I arrive tomorrow and not gonna lie, this Genie business is stressing me out. Seems like I need to be up by 6:45 every day, ready to go, just to have a shot at the rides and times I want. As much as I don’t want to pay, I also don’t want to be crammed into crowded queues with a bunch strangers for hours every day 🤦🏻‍♀️
That was our experience in October. We lost the flexibility of being able to vacation the way we want in exchange for a system that forced me to start my day on the phone competing with other people to go on rides at times dictated by Disney. And I had to pay for the privilege. How they've convinced people that this system "adds flexibility to your day" is beyond me.

My thinking is that the system is going to garner quite a few complaints and will be tweaked after enough people have had annoying experiences with it. Right now it's too new, and it seems many of the people defending it have not actually used it.

DisneyDreamer08

That was our experience in October. We lost the flexibility of being able to vacation the way we want in exchange for a system that forced me to start my day on the phone competing with other people to go on rides at times dictated by Disney. And I had to pay for the privilege. How they've convinced people that this system "adds flexibility to your day" is beyond me.

My thinking is that the system is going to garner quite a few complaints and will be tweaked after enough people have had annoying experiences with it. Right now it's too new, and it seems many of the people defending it have not actually used it.
My original plan was the purchase Genie+ but not the individual rides. Now I’m actually leaning the other way because at least with the individual rides, you can pick your times. Then just utilize rope drop for the other headliners 🤷🏻‍♀️

MrPromey

It's still the "new" ride.

I assume even though the land next to it is now newer, that it's kind of the same reason people stress over Slinky Dog Dash which is one of the most poorly themed attractions on property and a completely lame roller coaster to boot.*

*I know adults that say, "I like it because I don't normally like roller coasters" and to that I say, why even bother? If you're not 9 and not with someone who's 9, instead of burning early entry or waiting in a 90 minute line to do a crappy non-thrill thrill ride specifically because there is no thrill, why not use that time to do something in a style that fits what you actually enjoy doing?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom