Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

ImperfectPixie

Maybe they were being a bit hyperbolic. But, a wait time of 90+ minutes would be a "no" for me as well. That would eleminate a bunch of rides. Disney made this mess; they need to clean it up. And, as Kevin showed in video, G+ isn't the way out of it.
It absolutely isn't. It's also not wise to have your guests with their phones in their faces all day rather than seeing all the things they could be spending money on.

lazyboy97o

"Sorry, kids, we can't go on this ride because we didn't get a spot online" Why even go if you can't get on all the rides. no point anymore.
With decent capacity people still wouldn’t do all of the rides except on slow days. Part of how you spread people out is different offerings with different appeals. A visitor can do a full day’s worth of desired activities, not have to do everything to reach a satisfactory number of experiences. That’s part of the problem with the Post-MGM/Paris park model, there’s barely enough and you pretty much have to do everything to have a complete day.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

With decent capacity people still wouldn’t do all of the rides except on slow days. Part of how you spread people out is different offerings with different appeals. A visitor can do a full day’s worth of desired activities, not have to do everything to reach a satisfactory number of experiences. That’s part of the problem with the Post-MGM/Paris park model, there’s Barry enough and you pretty much have to do everything to have a complete day.
I mean, it's pretty obvious that Walt knew what he was doing when he built Disneyland...why these people insist on deviating from a formula that worked beautifully is beyond me.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I mean, it's pretty obvious that Walt knew what he was doing when he built Disneyland...why these people insist on deviating from a formula that worked beautifully is beyond me.

The sharp-pencil people got involved to extract more money from guests during the last Eisner years. Iger and $lappie have taken it to a whole different galaxy. End of story.

Jrb1979

Maybe they were being a bit hyperbolic. But, a wait time of 90+ minutes would be a "no" for me as well. That would eleminate a bunch of rides. Disney made this mess; they need to clean it up. And, as Kevin showed in video, G+ isn't the way out of it.
There is a solution for Genie+ to work and it's to limit how many people can buy it. I know many hate that idea cause Disney trained you all to think that it should be available to everyone. This past week shows it doesn't work when everyone has it. Make Genie+ $150 a person and many wouldn't buy it. Those that do would be able to ride a lot of attractions.

Patcheslee

There is a solution for Genie+ to work and it's to limit how many people can buy it. I know many hate that idea cause Disney trained you all to think that it should be available to everyone. This past week shows it doesn't work when everyone has it. Make Genie+ $150 a person and many wouldn't buy it. Those that do would be able to ride a lot of attractions.
How would they be able to control the limit across multiple parks without also creating imbalance in distribution or limiting Genie+ to one park per day?

Touchdown

The problem with that is usually that’s not true either, but with Disney inflating wait times it unfortunately takes someone with experience to know how off they are. Rise is usually listed at 120-240 min, but if you walk by and both lines are in the caves, standby is at worst 60 and potentially much shorter. MMRR is constantly listed at 45-60 min but if the LL isn’t backed up and the queue is full to the arch it’s only 30 min.

TikibirdLand

I think that's the excuse they used as they doubled the ticket prices... to lower the crowds. Well, they keep coming. Infrequent visitors (the whales they're trying to attract) will simply treat that as an added expense. Not buying this "solution".

Jrb1979

How would they be able to control the limit across multiple parks without also creating imbalance in distribution or limiting Genie+ to one park per day?
It would be no different then how Universal controls theirs. With the reservation system in place I'm sure Disney has a rough idea how many people are going to parks each day. With that you limit it to a percentage of that each day.
I think that's the excuse they used as they doubled the ticket prices... to lower the crowds. Well, they keep coming. Infrequent visitors (the whales they're trying to attract) will simply treat that as an added expense. Not buying this "solution".
It is a solution cause not only do you raise the price you also need to limit how many are a available. Right now according to Disney numbers 1/3 of guests buy Genie+. Judging by LL availability last week that's too many guests that have it. In my solution you cap it at 1/5 of guests can buy it. Once those people do you can't buy anymore for that day.

Casper Gutman

$1500 and its a deal. $150 won't make enough of a dent in the WDW crowds.

Or rotate the parks - each day, two have Genie and two don't.

TikibirdLand

It would be no different then how Universal controls theirs. With the reservation system in place I'm sure Disney has a rough idea how many people are going to parks each day. With that you limit it to a percentage of that each day.

It is a solution cause not only do you raise the price you also need to limit how many are a available. Right now according to Disney numbers 1/3 of guests buy Genie+. Judging by LL availability last week that's too many guests that have it. In my solution you cap it at 1/5 of guests can buy it. Once those people do you can't buy anymore for that day.
So, now I'll have to be fast with the (something) to get G+ access in order to pay to get a ILL? Oh, and I have to get a reservation for the park too. Seems we're just adding layers onto a broken system...

Jrb1979

$1500 and its a deal. $150 won't make enough of a dent in the WDW crowds.

Or rotate the parks - each day, two have Genie and two don't.
Its not about making a dent in the crowds cause that's not changing. It's about making Genie+ work. Not only do you charge $150 but also limit how many is available each day.
So, now I'll have to be fast with the (something) to get G+ access in order to pay to get a ILL? Oh, and I have to get a reservation for the park too. Seems we're just adding layers onto a broken system...
The only real solution is to add a bunch of new attractions to each park. We all know that's not happening any time soon.

I'm going to say this once but people need to get over the fact that everyone should have access to Skip the Line systems. Disney put into people's heads thats they work. Go to other parks and see how it's really supposed to work.

lazyboy97o

Buzz, not Walt. This is stuff you could take a class on two weeks ago at the Orange County Convention Center during the IAAPA Expo. And while Disney ignored certain contemporary industry standards, others they did not, and after decades of trying Disney hasn’t actually found a working alternative to just having enough capacity.
That doesn’t fix the underlying issue of insufficient capacity.

Patcheslee

With Universal there are 6 separate Express Pass options not counting Volcano Bay. Single park vs both parks, limited vs unlimited all at different price points. To implement similar with all park combinations would turn Genie+ into the same people run into with all the ticket options: which one to purchase.

Purduevian

I see 2 quick solutions to the LL Availability issue. It is simply a supply vs demand issue.
1)Decrease Demand: Raise price of G+ and ILL so less people will buy it.
2)Increase Supply: Increase the LL to standby ratio, thus giving more G+ and ILL availability. This would cause standby lines to slow down further than they currently are

Obviously people would prefer other things (more capacity, turning the system off, ect) but Disney is making money from this and probably just spent a lot of money to get it running. G+ is here to stay for awhile.

Casper Gutman

With Universal there are 6 separate Express Pass options not counting Volcano Bay. Single park vs both parks, limited vs unlimited all at different price points. To implement similar with all park combinations would turn Genie+ into the same people run into with all the ticket options: which one to purchase.
Wait, we’re saying that having a lot of ticket options is bad?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom