Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

ImperfectPixie

That’s the problem. If they put $ into the parks that’s what will happen. One of the largest shareholders and an activist investor named Dan Loeb who runs Third point capital hedge fund forced them to suspend their dividend last year and invest it into Disney +.

parks division isn’t getting better. It’s not a big money maker for them any more.

They don’t want to put money into it, they consider that a losing proposition

they should spin it off.

Disney+ is another problem. So far, it's a money pit, and they're focusing too much on Star Wars and Marvel...the shine will wear off of those sooner than later. They're also allowing way too much time between new show releases and not keeping people glued to Disney+ the way they should be.

bubbles1812

It seems as though we might be seeing the beginnings of that.
Yes, maybe, but as @Jeff4272 just pointed out… the dividends were suspended to encourage investment Disney+, not the parks. So this dream of mass capacity solving rides ect, still just seems like a pipe dream to me. Right now, that’s our reality. I don’t love it, but it’s still where we are.

EDIT: I’ve been on these forums going on 10 years and the same gripes from 10 years ago are pretty much the same today as then. Call me a cynic but I’m not convinced Disney is gonna change any time soon in regards to the parks. Not when they continue to mint money.

Jeff4272

Yes, maybe, but as @Jeff4272 just pointed out… the dividends were suspended to encourage investment Disney+, not the parks. So this dream of mass capacity solving rides ect, still just seems like a pipe dream to me. Right now, that’s our reality. I don’t love it, but it’s still are where we are.
There’s no new money goin go to the parks Unfortunately. Any investment into the company is going to content.

and they don’t have to. People keep going and paying more. Read their latest earnings report. Per person spending is up 30%.

parks are done.

stinks for parks people.

ImperfectPixie

There’s no new money goin go to the parks Unfortunately. Any investment into the company is going to content.

and they don’t have to. People keep going and paying more. Read their latest earnings report. Per person spending is up 30%.

parks are done.

stinks for parks people.
Just wait until the pent up demand from COVID has been burned through. They won't have excuses for bad experiences anymore.

bubbles1812

Genie+ isn’t the solution

it’s terrible

It just makes them a sht ton of money

but negatively affects guest experience
If it’s making them money and people continue to pay for it, they aren’t gonna get rid of it.

As for negatively affecting guest experience, your account has definitely been an interesting one to read about. I’ve been following it, and it has helped me think about when I might go to the parks in the future.

I experienced G+ the first week of November, and it probably overall enhanced my experience. As much as FP+? No. Absolutely not. But enough that it keep us moving and our waits to a relative minimum. I didn’t have issues with the sell outs and lack of availability the way you have.

Suggests G+ will be most useful at less busy times of the year, though that could have been said of FP+ too I suppose. I miss FP+ (especially the fact that it was free) but G+ was workable for our group of two.

Last edited:

Jeff4272

If it’s making them money and people continue to pay for it, they aren’t gonna get rid of it.

As for negatively affecting guest experience, your’s has definitely been interesting one to read about. I experienced G+ the first week of November, and it probably overall enhanced my experience.

As much as FP+? No. Absolutely not. But enough that it keep us moving and our waits to a relative minimum.

I didn’t have issues with the sell outs and lack of availability the way you have. Suggests G+ will be most useful at less busy times of the year, though that could have been said of FP+ too I suppose. I miss FP+ (especially the fact that it was free) but G+ was workable for our group of two.
Yes I agree. I think what’s going on is, when it’s busy, it’s not worth it and when it’s slow, you don’t need it.

let’s see how guest behavior is over the next 18 months.

my guess is this fails way sooner than FP+ did

Jeff4272

Any additional capital goes to the higher margin side of the business, Disney+ and content. Parks division margins are way lower and that’s why they will just do what they need to to get by, cut costs and invest only the minimum to get by.

that’s why it’s not going to get any better
https://.com/2021/11/disney-ups-fis...l-investment-draws-new-streaming-subscribers/

Here’s another good story.

ImperfectPixie

I know. It was more supposed to be a joke/to point that Wall Street plays an enormous role in what Disney does these days. That is the huge driver of any change and why their focus is on Disney+.
Which is understandable...HOWEVER...they seem to keep forgetting that the parks are 40% of their revenue. You can't neglect a revenue-generating portion of the business and expect it to keep functioning.

hopemax

they should spin it off.
Hard to do when the "industry leader" is the one that wants out of the game. Hard to find a buyer, because everyone is thinking "If Disney wants to sell, then how good of a business is it to be in? What do they know?" I do think Burbank would prefer to license their content than be responsible for operations if they could, but they need a partner. The ones with the pockets are busy building spaceships, and Saudi oil isn't a good partner now for other reasons.

seascape

I know. It was more supposed to be a joke/to point that Wall Street plays an enormous role in what Disney does these days. That is the huge driver of any change and why their focus is on Disney+.
Wall Street overly rewards a company based on a good number and overly penalizes for a bad number. The company will survive this downturn and the stock price will riee ovee time. Invest for the long run and gamble on sports.

bubbles1812

Wall Street overly rewards a company based on a good number and overly penalizes for a bad number. The company will survive this downturn and the stock price will riee ovee time. Invest for the long run and gamble on sports.
Absolutely. I have not been worried much about Disney’s long term prospects stock wise, but it doesn’t change that Wall Street is still a huge driver relating to their choices. Especially with the likes of Iger and Chapek at the reigns.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom