Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

mikejs78

Premium Member
MK are HS are "full" the week of Thanksgiving. AK on same days too. Epcot is the only park with full availability.
Tomorrow Epcot and MK are out of capacity. Today it was all parks except AK. Pre-pandemic they never had a phased closing in November.

VaderTron

That would also mean they didn't have a ton of room to increase Genie+ slots on days when attendance skyrockets.

I don't think that's true, as it would mean a bunch of Genie+ rides would have no slots left for the entire day before the park even opened.
Idk that sounds about right for a park system that has not been interested in capacity increases for decades. I see that definitely happening... to others, not me. Since I don't go anymore after Slappy butchered my happy place.

TrojanUSC

When Genie+ first debuted, it looked pretty good -- you can get G+ on most rides with a limited wait, sometimes no wait at all. So I really thought I should get Genie+. Right now it's not looking so good at all. For example, Pirates is 35 minutes wait, but G+ is for 2 hours later. Why? Fastpass should not be much longer than wait time being that you are just waiting virtually, and wait time should be calculated with total number of fastpass and in line people together. This makes Genie+ not dependable and not worthwhile. I am rather disappointed. I was going to get G+ for sure, but now it doesn't look like it's worth it. Hm.

That's not how it works. This was the exact process with the vintage paper FPs. They only allocate so many per hour so the FP/LL lines do not fill up. Due to this, once the allocation fills for any specific window it rolls to the next available window. This is why, at Disneyland pre-pandemic, you'd often find Radiator Springs Racers fully distributed by 11AM or so.

In your Pirates example, yes its only 35 minutes but maybe 5 minutes with LL. So you could go do things that you might do after pirates (grab lunch, wait for another attraction, etc) then you return to little wait.

VaderTron

From reading this thread, it doesn't sound like the war cries of boycotting Disney due to higher prices and less choices has had much of an influence on the general attendance.
People had these trips booked for months if not over a year. The trickle down effect of dissatisfaction won't show till next year sometime. By the time they realize people are mad and are not coming back those people probably will have discovered much more satisfying vacations for less cost. If there's a downturn in the market they're in trouble. New customers don't have the same baked-in loyalty of the old Disney fans.

mikejs78

Premium Member
This is why, at Disneyland pre-pandemic, you'd often find Radiator Springs Racers fully distributed by 11AM or so.

It's one thing if one or two attractions fill up quickly. It's a whole other thing if you're paying for line skipping and all the attractions are gone by early afternoon.
By the time they realize people are mad and are not coming back those people probably will have discovered much more satisfying vacations for less cost
You're assuming everyone feels like you do.

diggity16

HS today proved to me that Genie can’t handle bigger crowds. And frankly there were just too many damn people there. The waits for everything were outrageous.

Ok back to Genie…At 7 we tried to book SDD for the time it showed (9) and ended up with 1. At 9 when we could book our ILL, Rise was already sold out. And so this began a long day of LL filling up and selling out. We rode 3 rides total on LL and the rest roughed it in standby. A total waste of money.

My advice for those going during busy times is think twice before wasting your money on something you won’t even be able to use. I wanted to like Genie but this was a complete failure.

RSoxNo1

HS today proved to me that Genie can’t handle bigger crowds. And frankly there were just too many damn people there. The waits for everything were outrageous.

Ok back to Genie…At 7 we tried to book SDD for the time it showed (9) and ended up with 1. At 9 when we could book our ILL, Rise was already sold out. And so this began a long day of LL filling up and selling out. We rode 3 rides total on LL and the rest roughed it in standby. A total waste of money.

My advice for those going during busy times is think twice before wasting your money on something you won’t even be able to use. I wanted to like Genie but this was a complete failure.
One big problem with Genie+ is that by taking out the two highest demand attractions from each park, the Genie+ pressure trickles down to the next level of attraction. I hated Fastpass+, but felt that the original Fastpass as well as MaxPass had many things going for it. Genie+ with the additional upcharges make for a significant pool of Lightning Lane reservations pulled out of rotation.

At this point, I think each park should be reduced to one upcharge attraction to actually make Genie+ have value. The cheapest upcharge Lightning Lane is $7 and as such you have to assume that the "value" of each Genie+ Lightning Lane that's included in the $15 is no more than $7 and probably closer to $5. This means you need to be able to get at least 4 uses to get the "value" out of it.

While I'd like to see the service eliminated entirely and have everything revert to complimentary, day of only Fastpass on a digitized system, if that's not an option I think reducing the upcharges to one attraction per park is realistic.

MK - Mine Train until TRON opens
DHS - Rise of the Resistance
EP - Ratatouille until Cosmic Rewind opens
DAK - Flight of Passage

mikejs78

Premium Member
HS today proved to me that Genie can’t handle bigger crowds.

Or that they need to allocate more to LL.

One big problem with Genie+ is that by taking out the two highest demand attractions from each park, the Genie+ pressure trickles down to the next level of attraction. I hated Fastpass+, but felt that the original Fastpass as well as MaxPass had many things going for it. Genie+ with the additional upcharges make for a significant pool of Lightning Lane reservations pulled out of rotation.

This makes total sense. Its less of an issue in MK, but I bet there's lost G+ sales at AK because of Everest, and DHS would function a lot better if MMRR were added to the list.
At this point, I think each park should be reduced to one upcharge attraction to actually make Genie+ have value. The cheapest upcharge Lightning Lane is $7 and as such you have to assume that the "value" of each Genie+ Lightning Lane that's included in the $15 is no more than $7 and probably closer to $5. This means you need to be able to get at least 4 uses to get the "value" out of it.

While I'd like to see the service eliminated entirely and have everything revert to complimentary, day of only Fastpass on a digitized system, if that's not an option I think reducing the upcharges to one attraction per park is realistic.

DAK - Flight of Passage

I'd prefer the day of FP on a digitized system, except where you can select your return window from a set of options (or choose to just take next available if people just want an easier setting....but reducing ILL to only the biggest attraction in each park.

DAK - Flight of Passage
Disney is also in a difficult position with number of LL to make available. Back in FP+ days, it wasnt unusual to see the line for FP+ spill out into the walkway (we waited nearly 30 minutes once for Buzz Lightyear with FP+; the line was down to the entrance of Tomorrowland). With G+, they cant risk this to the same extent - its bad optics and could impact potential sales. It's likely LL will remain more limited than FP+ which means that G+ will have less choice.

jpinkc

How did the Mobile Order system handle the load. I thought today was only a 5 crowd level? If they only want us to get 3 rides why did they dump Fastpass+ OH Yeah GREED!!!!!!

mikejs78

Premium Member
Disney is also in a difficult position with number of LL to make available. Back in FP+ days, it wasnt unusual to see the line for FP+ spill out into the walkway (we waited nearly 30 minutes once for Buzz Lightyear with FP+; the line was down to the entrance of Tomorrowland). With G+, they cant risk this to the same extent - its bad optics and could impact potential sales. It's likely LL will remain more limited than FP+ which means that G+ will have less choice.

Bad optics if you can only get two good rides and it's sold out by mid afternoon too. If people are paying, they will want access.

Chi84

Premium Member

Consider writing an email to Disney describing your experience with Genie+ and ILL. Keep it concise and factual, stating what the problems were and why you won't buy it again. It's very early days for the system, so they may actually benefit from hearing this sort of thing.

Muffinpants

I wonder what to CM situation is at the blue umbrellas these days.. People who bought the system and only get 2 rides outta it and are peeved. Most folks dont visit forums like this and understand what they need to do. If a normal family of 4 buys intot he system they say "is more conveinent and easy" and than it turns out to be wasted 60$ I can see ALOT of complaints about to happen with the busy days here.

UNCgolf

Bad optics if you can only get two good rides and it's sold out by mid afternoon too. If people are paying, they will want access.

I'm thinking that on the busy days, families will be much better off spending money on the ILL purchases than on Genie+. At least then you're guaranteed rides on one of the headliner attractions instead of paying $15 per person for maybe only one or two of the next tier down.

JakeAZ

I wonder what to CM situation is at the blue umbrellas these days.. People who bought the system and only get 2 rides outta it and are peeved. Most folks dont visit forums like this and understand what they need to do. If a normal family of 4 buys intot he system they say "is more conveinent and easy" and than it turns out to be wasted 60$ I can see ALOT of complaints about to happen with the busy days here.
Disney's MO. Launch a guest unfriendly system and then let hourly cast members deal with the backlash.

SteveAZee

It's one thing if one or two attractions fill up quickly. It's a whole other thing if you're paying for line skipping and all the attractions are gone by early afternoon.

You're assuming everyone feels like you do.
Probably doesn't require everyone... probably 10% of returning guests not returning will get noticed. I don't agree with the idea that the well of new guests is bottomless.

But what looks worse to a family who has never visited before/hasn't visited for years considering making the purchase? Massive G+ lines spilling out like old FP+ are not going to entice them to make a purchase. Now, if they can't make many choices once they've made the purchase, well Disney already has their money and I'm sure in the T&Cs it says no minimum number of attractions are guaranteed. Now obviously, if said hypothetical family purchases G+ and then can't make many choices, it is up to them whether they got the perceived value from it and make future purchases.

PolynesianPrincess

On my trip over the week for the Half Marathon, I asked my old CM friends from my area what/if anything has changed. Based on their response, it doesn't seem like the merge ratios themselves have changed at all, and they're still using the phase cards I have in my wallet. That doesn't mean they're working by those merges, as if only 1/3rd of the original system is used, then you're rarely going to actually need to use the ratios.

Regarding standby, the lines DID MOVE QUICKER. The posted waits were also outright lies more often then not (suspiciously high for FOP). I watched a family of 8 pay for LL for FOP and I decided I would time the 60 minute posted wait. My actual wait? 7 minutes. Something was off, and I feel bad for that family.
Oh man.. if I had just paid for my family to ride it because of a posted 60 minutes wait time and could've basically just walked on, Guest Services would be hearing from me. It's one for the wait times to be off a little bit, nut off by an entire hour? Unacceptable, but honestly not surprising. I expect something like this from Disney these days, unfortunately.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom