Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Magic Feather

A quick question:
If your park reservation is for DAK, but your first selection of the day is made for Slinky at 7 AM (return time after 2 PM), does the 2-hr rule kick in at DAK park open or DHS park open?

Chip Chipperson

A quick question:
If your park reservation is for DAK, but your first selection of the day is made for Slinky at 7 AM (return time after 2 PM), does the 2-hr rule kick in at DAK park open or DHS park open?

I believe it's the opening time of whatever park you have the park reservation for, so DAK in this example.

Herah

Except if I remember correctly.. if you have an exclusive Genie+ (like Rise of the resistance). And the ride goes down for whatever reason.. You do not get a fastpass for the same ride later on. You get to choose from the lesser ones. To resume, you sorta paid for nothing.
That was a case of mistaken identity. Somebody posted about a Genie+ recovery pass, someone else thought it was ILL and posted a complaint, and several other people ran with it.

Muffinpants

The screen shot says Rise is down. So you does it mean if you have a ILL for Rise and Rise is down, you can try to return (whenever) that day to try return to use the ILL you paid for?
yes you have the rest of the day to attempt to ride. if the ride 100% never goes back up you can get a refund.. if this has changed lmk. I heard that if it goes back up and your "away" you lost the money.

JAB

yes you have the rest of the day to attempt to ride. if the ride 100% never goes back up you can get a refund.. if this has changed lmk. I heard that if it goes back up and your "away" you lost the money.
Close, but not quite right.

If an ILL ride doesn't go back up by the end of the day, Disney says you should get an automatic refund to your credit card. If it does come back up and you can't make it for whatever reason, you aren't necessarily out the money, but you do have to go to Guest Services yourself to ask for a refund, which current reports say is being issued as a Disney gift card.

Last edited:

RoadiJeff

Folks who know have told us that this is why WDW inflated waits 10 or 15 minutes. But RotR and other headlines are routinely inflated about 250%.
I wish that had been the case when we went there last month. The posted wait, 15 minutes after the park opened for everyone, was 155 minutes. We ended up waiting 150 minutes.

Disstevefan1

I hope you can go ahead and get your refund if it was down in the time slot you purchased and not have to wait it out and hope for the best?

“Oh look dear, remember the 4 ILLs we paid $15 each for Rise that we got up at 7AM to purchase and was so happy that we got a 10AM return time for?”

“Well it says here Rise is down. I guess our plans have changed. We now have to stay at the Studios to wait to see IF it comes back up”.

UNCgolf

I wonder what it will look like if uptake increases to 50%, or worse, 75%.

I'm sure they'd allocate more spots to Genie+ holders, but I still imagine it would be correspondingly less valuable and harder to find open slots.

Casper Gutman

So just as a reminder they could have just raised the price by $5 for everyone and kept the old fast pass system keeping everyone happy. Instead they ****ed everyone off.
They’ve raised the prices about 40% over the last four years or so! This isn’t just about money per se, it’s about opening up a new, supposedly “infinite” source of revenue ON TOP of admission. Just raising an existing price $5 is way, way too limited.

TiggerDad

So just as a reminder they could have just raised the price by $5 for everyone and kept the old fast pass system keeping everyone happy. Instead they ****ed everyone off.
They would have had to raise AP prices by $5 per day to get the same revenue bump.

the point of this change was not to make money. They also wanted to change behavior. This system spreads a lot more of the headline capacity from local APs to people willing to pay extra, which is more likely to be infrequent visitors. In the past, locals could binge the new rides over and over. Boarding groups limited them to once per day. This further limits them to how often they’re willing to pay.

Indeed. To put a finer point on it:
  • Every day
  • one out of 3 guests (33%) at WDW parks
  • pays $15 for DG+
Is that what was said exactly? Or just that a 1/3 of guests have used it? There's a difference in semantics here. Yes, 1/3 guests may have used G+ but it doesn't mean everyday, a 1/3 of guests have access to LL through the upcharge (they may have only purchased it for one day of their trip; one specific day for example launch day, a third of guests may have used G+ - lots of potential manipulation possible here).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom