Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

DisneyDodo

It does matter, though, because of ILLs.

If you're only going to be able to ride one or two rides via Genie+ on a busy day, you'd be better off spending that money on ILL purchases -- unless they suddenly start charging $30+ for an ILL, but based on current pricing -- because you'd be getting a lot more value for your money. If you were already going to buy the ILLs then it doesn't really matter, but for people who aren't planning to shell out $40+ per day per person for rides, why pay the $15 per person for Genie+ for one or two secondary rides when you could spend $20-25 per person for two headliners?

It's a very different calculation if you get to use Genie+ for 5 or 6 rides (even if the overall amount of time saved was the same, but that's probably not true since the bigger rides often get similarly long wait times regardless if crowd levels, even if they're slightly lower on less busy days), or if ILLs didn't exist at all.
I certainly agree that the value of ILLs changes based on attendance. This is somewhat mitigated by the variable pricing, but Disney has restricted the range so heavily for now that it can’t fully keep up with attendance levels.

But ILL vs G+ is not an either/or proposition. If you would purchase G+ on empty days, it might make sense to purchase G+ and ILL on crowded days. Conversely, if you wouldn’t purchase anything on empty days, it might make sense to purchase only ILLs on crowded days. Unless you have some sort of hard budget that can only accommodate either G+ or ILL, attendance shouldn’t really impact the former IMO.

UNCgolf

But ILL vs G+ is not an either/or proposition. If you would purchase G+ on empty days, it might make sense to purchase G+ and ILL on crowded days. Conversely, if you wouldn’t purchase anything on empty days, it might make sense to purchase only ILLs on crowded days. Unless you have some sort of hard budget that can only accommodate either G+ or ILL, attendance shouldn’t really impact the former IMO.

I agree, but I was really thinking about families -- the numbers add up quickly there. If you're talking about spending $75 a day for you, your partner, and your three kids for Genie+, it might be a hard sell if you're only going to be able to use it for a couple of secondary rides. When you factor in purchasing two ILLs for everyone which would could add another $125+ to the day, it's a lot easier to forego that $75 as not worth it.

bubbles1812

This makes it sound like Genie+ is going to be a complete waste of money on busy days. You'd be better off just spending that $15 on a ILL and getting a guaranteed ride on a headliner instead of paying for Genie+ and maybe only getting one or two rides out of it.
I’m not entirely sure what the crowds were like on Wednesday but we were at MK all day. We used Genie+ eight times: Buzz, Pooh, Peter Pan, Mansion, Big Thunder, Splash, Jingle Cruise, Pirates (not in that order). Had purchased LL for Mine Train and Space.

If you know what you’re doing/how crowds tend to move/how attractions tend to fill/what things typically have shorter waits than what it says… you can still have a good day.

We did 21 attractions in total with the assist of early park open for resort guests. (Full disclosure, I do count Tiki Room and Country Bears in there, we slipped them in as we had time)

Patcheslee

I’m not entirely sure what the crowds were like on Wednesday but we were at MK all day. We used Genie+ eight times: Buzz, Pooh, Peter Pan, Mansion, Big Thunder, Splash, Jingle Cruise, Pirates (not in that order). Had purchased LL for Mine Train and Space.

If you know what you’re doing/how crowds tend to move/how attractions tend to fill/what things typically have shorter waits than what it says… you can still have a good day.

We did 21 attractions in total with the assist of early park open for resort guests. (Full disclosure, I do count Tiki Room and Country Bears in there, we slipped them in as we had time)
MK was a 3

Touchdown

Source? If it was 9:1, we would already be seeing substantially higher standby waits. We aren't.
Last week I saw JC doing that (due to handicap loading causing the LL line to overflow) and temporarily at Rise and Mickey after coming back from being 101 until the LL emptied but the only place I saw that consistently without a reason (recent breakdown, handicap loading) was Frozen. That was not the case anywhere else.

Last week I saw JC doing that (due to handicap loading causing the LL line to overflow) and temporarily at Rise and Mickey after coming back from being 101 until the LL emptied but the only place I saw that consistently without a reason (recent breakdown, handicap loading) was Frozen. That was not the case anywhere else.
JC's wait times have been a little strange. Often the highest / second highest in the park. I wonder if theyre running less boats due to staffing cos it never used to be that popular. I can also believe it with Frozen - that ride has horrible loading/capacity.

bubbles1812

JC's wait times have been a little strange. Often the highest / second highest in the park. I wonder if theyre running less boats due to staffing cos it never used to be that popular. I can also believe it with Frozen - that ride has horrible loading/capacity.
I have always found JC’s wait times to be a total mystery. I mean I enjoy the ride, don’t get me wrong, but the 70-80 minute wait times… that ride is not worth that wait to me. The jokes aren’t that good ;)

Rich Brownn

I have always found JC’s wait times to be a total mystery. I mean I enjoy the ride, don’t get me wrong, but the 70-80 minute wait times… that ride is not worth that wait to me. The jokes aren’t that good ;)
Thats cause you didn't have me as a skipper :) Seriously, loading can vary greatly depending on how fast people enter and exit the boats. All you need is 3 slow people to back up two boats, amazing as it may sound. Load/Unload is awkward for older folks. (You can always check to see if boats have backed up - if so they are running full with slow loads)

RoadiJeff

I get the point you are trying to make, but staying at a comfort inn isn’t any where in the same level as staying on property at either resorts moderates or higher.

Staying at a comfort inn Vs the values is a much better comparison. And the comfort inn is better with so few perks.
I agree that the two are not on the same level. However, I was replying to someone who suggested that if I had stayed at the Hard Rock I could have gotten a free Express Pass instead of paying for it like I did when I stayed at a Comfort Inn. I'll take the $70/night Comfort Inn and paying for an Express Pass any day vs Hard Rock's prices.

RoadiJeff

Possibly more interest in JC right now due to the movie.

Patcheslee

So far we've only seen Mon-Thurs & Fri-Sun prices. If they keep it with that split, and people plan to purchase ILLs they can plan whichever parks have the ILL they want for a weekday. I wouldn't pay $14 for FoP on a weekend, but maybe the $11 on a weekday.

TimeTrip

There's a difference between selling at 9:1 versus accepting 9:1 at the ride itself due to unexpected closures. Doesn't explain frozen though.

I can't imagine they would push past the alleged 80:20 for availability in a day though. Well I hope they wouldn't. Raise the price on crowded days instead ;-).

Jrb1979

There's a difference between selling at 9:1 versus accepting 9:1 at the ride itself due to unexpected closures. Doesn't explain frozen though.

I can't imagine they would push past the alleged 80:20 for availability in a day though. Well I hope they wouldn't. Raise the price on crowded days instead ;-).
I personally hope they do. As someone who plans to use Genie+ when I go I am hoping they up availability. I don't understand the fascination with making standby tolerable. When FP+ was around standby lines crawled so why the change now?

Touchdown

I personally hope they do. As someone who plans to use Genie+ when I go I am hoping they up availability. I don't understand the fascination with making standby tolerable. When FP+ was around standby lines crawled so why the change now?
Because Fastpass was free, the optics of charging an increased cost and making it miserable for the poor is a horrible look.

Also, if you make everyone buy Genie+ then the LL just become standby lines, G+ does not increase ride capacity.

Disney is trying to find the sweet spot where they make maximum profit without affecting consumer happiness (with or without G+) to a degree they choose not to come back.

This just comes across to me as really.... mean? I've had express pass before at Universal and never once wished that standby was unbearable. Others have mentioned that Disney has to toe a fine line here; if standby becomes unbearable, word on the street will be that it's not worth going unless you pay extra on top of the already expensive tickets. That's a bad look.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Question for those that have added Genie + to an existing reservation. I decided to give it a go and try it. When I went to add it to my January trip, it gave me the option, I checked the box and checked out, however it didn't charge me anything. Will they charge me the day of the first use, or did I just get lucky? (which I am seriously doubting).

DorysDitty

I wish people would start talking about Genie+ and especially ILL in context of real world family size. If it was just me, solo on a trip, sure…I MIGHT pay $10-$15 not to stand in a long line alone for a ride or two. BUT - multiply that by a family of four and it’s just crazy to me! $40-$60 for a three minute ride that we’ve ridden multiple times in our three years as AP? No thanks. I can’t see us ever purchasing Genie+, so Disney’s out that money for me AND they’ve lost a family that went down 4-6 times a year. I think it will eventually hurt them. Disney needs smiling pictures of my Disneybounding family on FB to encourage others to go on those once in a lifetime trips. When the “Disney people” stop
going and stop spouting advice and tips, it discourages others. That’s just my $0.02.

Chi84

Premium Member
I wish people would start talking about Genie+ and especially ILL in context of real world family size. If it was just me, solo on a trip, sure…I MIGHT pay $10-$15 not to stand in a long line alone for a ride or two. BUT - multiply that by a family of four and it’s just crazy to me! $40-$60 for a three minute ride that we’ve ridden multiple times in our three years as AP? No thanks. I can’t see us ever purchasing Genie+, so Disney’s out that money for me AND they’ve lost a family that went down 4-6 times a year. I think it will eventually hurt them. Disney needs smiling pictures of my Disneybounding family on FB to encourage others to go on those once in a lifetime trips. When the “Disney people” stop
going and stop spouting advice and tips, it discourages others. That’s just my $0.02.
Sad to hear you won't be going back. Much of the reason for these boards (if not the entire reason) is for people to give advice and tips about Disney.

We preferred FP+, but since that's gone we tried Genie+ and found some value in it, so we'll probably get it for our family trip this April. Until enough people agree with you, it's not going to have much impact on Disney as a company. And if and when it does, they just may decide to call it a day and get out of the parks business altogether. My advice is for people to do what's right for them without worrying about trying to "fix" Disney for the future. It's not likely to happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom