Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Every time I think of universal, I look at their ticket prices and am immediately turned off. To be honest, we have cut our WDW trips from. 3-4 a year to 1 every couple years (and falling). First time since high school we bought cedar point passes, and honestly found it a lot more fun than any Disney trip we have done in the past 5 years.
Still…If ever our calendars line up…the bar tab is on me🍻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Geez…no mention of Forbidden Journey? It’s only one of the best rides on the planet.

It's awful. If I was ranking every ride I've ever been on, it would be near the bottom.
Not a fan of the Kuka, huh?

I think it’s very polarizing…some love it and some can’t stand it.

I like it…but it’s actually too long. It can become too much on the head.
Something you’ll find me accusing no Disney ride built in the last 20 years of being.

UNCgolf

Not a fan of the Kuka, huh?

I think it’s very polarizing…some love it and some can’t stand it.

I like it…but it’s actually too long. It can become too much on the head.
Something you’ll find me accusing no Disney ride built in the last 20 years of being.

Yeah, the ride system was terrible. I had to sit down and do nothing for almost an hour after exiting because it gave me horrendous motion sickness. My GF did not get sick, but her neck actually hurt for the next couple of days because it jerks you around so much.

Putting that aside, though, the biggest problem was that the majority of the ride is a worse version of Flight of Passage. I'm not the biggest fan of FoP, but at least you have really gorgeous scenery to look at -- Forbidden Journey is mostly watching a movie of zooming around on a broomstick through a place we've already seen on film for hours and hours. It wasn't anything new. The parts where you get away from a screen were better, but they still weren't anything special for the most part (I did like the dragon).

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, the ride system was terrible. I had to sit down and do nothing for almost an hour after exiting because it gave me horrendous motion sickness. My GF did not get sick, but her neck actually hurt for the next couple of days because it jerks you around so much.

Putting that aside, though, the biggest problem was that the majority of the ride is a worse version of Flight of Passage. I'm not the biggest fan of FoP, but at least you have really gorgeous scenery to look at -- Forbidden Journey is mostly watching a movie of zooming around on a broomstick through a place we've already seen on film for hours and hours. It wasn't anything new. The parts where you get away from a screen were better, but they still weren't anything special for the most part.
At least it’s a good movie series…

have you ridden rise of the boredom yet?

FoodRockz

The Hulk and Rip are two I have no desire to ride! I'm not really a coaster fan -- they need elaborate theming to interest me.

Mummy is very good. I love Jurassic Park River Adventure (probably my favorite ride at Universal), and E.T. is a great classic dark ride. Spiderman is excellent for what it is. Screens just don't do much for me, but it's probably as good as a heavily screen reliant ride can be. The other log flume and the rapids ride are probably fun, but they both looked like they get you soaked and it wasn't really a weather day for that when we were there. That's kind of it for rides I either really enjoyed or looked fun to me; almost everything else was either a meh or I just had no interest in riding.

Didn't ride Gringott's, but it doesn't look great to me and most comments about it are ambivalent. Hagrid's wasn't open yet when I was there, but it also doesn't look like something that would really impress me.
I don't enjoy Hulk or Rip, but LOVE Velocicoaster and Hagrid. You really should try them out before dismissing them.

Sorry for getting the thread more off topic!

UNCgolf

At least it’s a good movie series…

have you ridden rise of the boredom yet?

Nope. It was open last time I was at WDW, but it was still using the method where you actually had to go line up outside DHS for a chance at a boarding group. I didn't even attempt to ride because no ride is worth that hassle to me. If it had been the more recent do it from your hotel room version, I'd have at least tried for one.

I did ride Smuggler's Run, which was really bad. It would be better as a Millennium Falcon walkthrough.

UNCgolf

I don't enjoy Hulk or Rip, but LOVE Velocicoaster and Hagrid. You really should try them out before dismissing them.

Sorry for getting the thread more off topic!

I plan to give Hagrid's a shot at some point, but I can already tell I won't be riding Velocicoaster. I'm acrophobic, which made giant outdoor coasters troublesome even when I was younger, but now I tend to get bad motion sickness on high intensity ones. Since I was never much of a coaster fan to begin with, even as a kid -- they just didn't really entertain me -- it's not worth it.

I'm just not a roller coaster guy, which is probably why Disney's parks are the only ones that have ever done much for me. I generally prefer the attraction lineup at Universal 25 years ago to the current lineup -- the old Kong ride and Earthquake were much better than the current Kong ride and Fast and Furious (which I think replaced Earthquake). Diagon Alley as a whole area is amazing and a worthwhile replacement for Jaws, but on an individual attraction level I'd much rather have Jaws then Gringott's, not to mention something like Transformers.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

With FP+, you could plan out your trip 30, maybe 60, days in advance -or any other day before your trip- so when you got to the parks it was just, arrive, enjoy.
I too loved the ability to preplan with FP+, but most here seemed to dislike what they saw as the resultant lack of spontaneity. For them, at least, I should think the new system is an improvement, or would be if not for the cost entailed.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I too loved the ability to preplan with FP+, but most here seemed to dislike what they saw as the resultant lack of spontaneity. For them, at least, I should think the new system is an improvement, or would be if not for the cost entailed.
Wouldn't say I 'loved' it, but certainly preferred it, even if it meant waking up very early one day (I live outside the US), to make our FP+ selections. I saw it as a time investment of sorts. Knowing that we would be able to ride 3 favorite attractions in each park, in a timely manner, was worth the 'hassle' for us.

We also chose our FP+'s return times in a way that we always had room for spontaneity, too. Oh, and there wasn't a $15p/p fee attached to it, either.

LittleBuford

Wouldn't say I 'loved' it, but certainly preferred it, even if it meant waking up very early one day (I live outside the US), to make our FP+ selections. I saw it as a time investment of sorts. Knowing that we would be able to ride 3 favorite attractions in each park, in a timely manner, was worth the 'hassle' for us.

We also chose our FP+'s return times in a way that we always had room for spontaneity, too. Oh, and there wasn't a $15p/p fee attached to it, either.
It was a preferable system in my eyes also. I shall miss it.

Richie248

This may have been answered but....if I pay for an Individual Lightening Lane pass am I still able to hold a Genie+ Lightening Lane pass or does the paid LL count toward my once every 2 hours/after clicking-in allotment...????

matt9112

This is exactly right!

People talk about how staying on-site is a no-brainer for their family of four because of what a deal the "free" pass is while failing to realize that Universal themselves sets the price of that ticket add-on and intentionally prices everything to make the resorts a “value” in that sense.

They could do away with the non-resort option entirely which would, one would guess, make the resort option even more valuable since it would truly be exclusive but without the high individual ticket price, there would be no anchor for anyone to attach a financial value to the offer and therefor, make it seem like a potentially less valuable benifit to staying on-site.

Its an important element of prospective though that the deluxe resorts at uni are what half of the cost of disneys deluxe?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Jeff4272

I hate paying for it but I’m also surprised they sisn
This is where it feels like an absolute steal. We stayed at the Royal Pacific, which was a very nice hotel, and paid less than half of what we'd have to pay to stay at a Disney deluxe -- and that included the Unlimited Express Pass.

I don't enjoy Universal nearly as much as WDW because I don't really like most of their rides, but I don't think Disney offers anything that's even remotely comparable to Universal's Deluxe rooms in overall value.
I agree with you 100%. We used to go and stay at Disney and visit universal. We also like Disney better but the universal hotels are just as nice or nicer and at half the cost and there’s no longer any on site benefits to staying at Disney.

We are going to flip our stays now. we will now stay at hard rock, get unlimited express pass for free and just visit Disney 2-3 days per trip. It’s cheaper and you get a way better experience in a nicer hotel for less money.

express pass is awesome. I don’t have to wake up at 7am, constantly be checking my phone, worry about missing my favorite rides, not worry about going to the water park in the morning and going to the parks in the afternoon and not getting on rides.

it’s a far superior product.

Last edited:

Lirael

I understand not wanting to plan out in advance. But at the same time I can't imagine paying and not caring about whatever you get.

Like, if I'm being spontaneous in a free fast line offering, comes the day and I find out none of the rides I'm into are available for fast line, and all I can score is, say, the Dumbo ride and I don't even have kids... I'd shrug and go oh well, and accept. But I wouldn't be okay with the same situation if I'd just paid 20 or more for that.

I understand someone who likes spontaneity paying up the Universal fast line passes. Are they very expensive? Absolutely, but they deliver that spontaneous fast line offering. You buy it, you walk onto whatever you like at any time. Meanwhile the Disney offering doesn't give you that reassurance. Not spontaneous friendly at all, for me.

Jeff4272

I understand not wanting to plan out in advance. But at the same time I can't imagine paying and not caring about whatever you get.

Like, if I'm being spontaneous in a free fast line offering, comes the day and I find out none of the rides I'm into are available for fast line, and all I can score is, say, the Dumbo ride and I don't even have kids... I'd shrug and go oh well, and accept. But I wouldn't be okay with the same situation if I'd just paid 20 or more for that.

I understand someone who likes spontaneity paying up the Universal fast line passes. Are they very expensive? Absolutely, but they deliver that spontaneous fast line offering. You buy it, you walk onto whatever you like at any time. Meanwhile the Disney offering doesn't give you that reassurance. Not spontaneous friendly at all, for me.
Thats the problem with Genie+ and I think people are already figuring it out to a certain degree but it will be well know by Jan 1st

When its slow, you dont need it

When its busy, its not worth it because you wont be able to get the rides you want

Genie+ and ILL$ are poorly thought out and expensive

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom