Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

JAB

An interesting tidbit I saw while watching one of the vloggers using LL... if you have your max of 2 ILL reservations booked, but one of your ILL attractions goes down and your reservation gets converted to an anytime pass, it no longer counts against your 2 ILL cap, and the system will let you book a 3rd ILL.

Focused on checking Smuggler's Run return times this morning. In HS, with Genie+, most people will go for SDD as their first G+ at 7am, and might be looking for Smuggler's next as it seems to be the 2nd most popular G+ selection in the park. Of course, with the current G+ rules, unless you get a SDD return time in the 9am-11am range, you can't make your second G+ selection for Smuggler's until 11am at which point, it seems by the return times below, will be later afternoon or even later depending on the crowd level. And that means waiting another 2 hours until at least 1pm before you can make your next G+ selection. So going for the SDD/Smuggler's combo really effects things if you don't plan to stay in HS all day.

I started looking at Smuggler's around 9:20am and these are the return times offered, checking every 5-10 minutes: 2:35pm, 11:55am, 2:50pm, 2:35pm, 11:50am, 2:40pm, 3:00pm, 1:25pm, 3:00pm. Obviously the overall pattern is 2:35 progressing to 3pm, with a whole lot of random earlier times mixed in due to cancellations (I assume).

It will be interesting to see how entities like Touring Plans that scrape published wait times (and previously in the older days, scraped and tracked published FP return times) handle this aspect of the Genie+ system. It's like a combination of paper FP (but restrained by the 2 hour rule and the no re-ride rule), and then mixed in with the modern fact of digital cancellations (like FP+) which introduces the idea of the FP+ hack of constantly refreshing to see what popped up. Also makes it frustrating that you can't swap your G+ for another in one action, but instead have to cancel the current one and then replace it with another.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Rise still has slots available at 11:30am today -

IMG_2263.jpg

Rise still has slots available at 11:30am today -

View attachment 595444
looks like it just sold out around 11:45...I think that's the longest ever in the 6 days ILL so far, I wonder if demand dropped, or Disney increased the supply, or a bit of both?

Edit to add: it's going back and forth between showing availability and being sold out, which I assume is normal when it's very close to selling out

DisneyCane

looks like it just sold out around 11:45...I think that's the longest ever in the 6 days ILL so far, I wonder if demand dropped, or Disney increased the supply, or a bit of both?

Edit to add: it's going back and forth between showing availability and being sold out, which I assume is normal when it's very close to selling out
I'm going to put my money on increased supply.

Patcheslee

I'd go with a bit of both. Isn't Sunday a popular departure date for alot of tourists as well? I personally wouldn't spend it at HS.

danv3

EE and Rope dropping continue to be worth doing, in the first 2.5 hours.
-SDMT
-PPF (official opening happens just before I board)
-BTMRR x 2
-Splash
-PotC
-HM
And I’ll mostly be through the Pooh queue as 11am arrives

This works well assuming SDMT and BTMRR both open as scheduled. We did SDMT during early entry the week before last and it had a 15 minute delayed opening, which pretty much torpedoed our plan. By the time we got off, the park was open at PPF was a posted 60 minute wait.

UNCgolf

This works well assuming SDMT and BTMRR both open as scheduled. We did SDMT during early entry the week before last and it had a 15 minute delayed opening, which pretty much torpedoed our plan. By the time we got off, the park was open at PPF was a posted 60 minute wait.

This is another problem with the short 30 minute early entry window. It shouldn't happen too often, but the window is so short that any kind of delayed ride opening will end up with a situation like yours.

It's obviously still better than nothing, though, since you were at least able to ride SDMT without a wait (other than the delay itself).

yensid1967

not EVEN A MONTH OLD service and they are raising the prices....when will we start telling Disney...ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!?

THEY SHOULD JUST GO WITH A MEDIAN PRICE POINT AND CHARGE A FLAT RATE FOR ALL RIDES! So if the most expensive is $15 and the less is $9...then they should just charge $12 for Daily Genie+! Problem solved!

jinx8402

not EVEN A MONTH OLD service and they are raising the prices....when will we start telling Disney...ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!?

THEY SHOULD JUST GO WITH A MEDIAN PRICE POINT AND CHARGE A FLAT RATE FOR ALL RIDES! So if the most expensive is $15 and the less is $9...then they should just charge $12 for Daily Genie+! Problem solved!
Not sure why the outrage. They were upfront when it was announced that pricing would fluctuate just like ticket prices fluctuate based on season/holiday/weekends.

yensid1967

Not sure why the outrage. They were upfront when it was announced that pricing would fluctuate just like ticket prices fluctuate based on season/holiday/weekends.
but not so quick. Not outraged just sayin

I guess I should not say anything against it...i don't understand how it works...I have 1800+ days to figure it out and by then there will most likely be something to replace GENIE+

SeeYinzRealSoon

Question: I've seen language that the advance DAS video screening is for guests visiting on or after Nov 1 and also for guests arriving on or after Nov 1. My mother and I are arriving October 30 and leaving the evening of November 1. Would I be eligible for the video chat with a cast member or not?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I do think it is in Disney's best interest to make Lightning Lane a flat rate for all attractions, and not change that price based on day, time of year, etc.

It's about peace of mind in planning...they make it complex and confusing for people it just makes people less happy about their experience and, in some cases, less positive about visiting in the first place.

Lightning Lane is just one small part of MANY changes people are having to worry about and hearing those who do Disney planning for a living (DISUnplugged, etc.) it is a lot of work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom