Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Chip Chipperson

Or walk to car, drive, to resort, change for the pool, grab a book and go to pool while kid swims, then reverse. It's not as horrendous as it seems to the people that choose to do it. Much more relaxing than a melt down from being in the park without a break.

My wife and I did that for the first time on our trip in May. DHS at opening for a few hours and rode Slinky, TSMM, and MMRR, then back to the resort for lunch and some pool time. In the early evening I checked wait times and saw MMRR down to 25 minutes, so we hopped in the car and drove back to the park and rode it two more times with almost no wait. We did upgrade our free DVC parking to preferred parking that day, but I'm sure it's not a hassle to do a mid-day break if staying at a Skyliner resort - and every park has at least 1 resort where a mid-day break is pretty easy. Even if you have to wait for a bus, we're talking about hours off your feet and out of the heat. The potential 20-minute wait for a bus isn't a deal-breaker.

fgmnt

Disagree on the food aspect. If all you do is quick service then yeah it is a bit of a let down. The table service has always been good.
I'm mostly thinking of stuff like the TGI Fridays and Famous Dave's and Subway being there instead of something original, but it's been a decade. I would not be surprised if it all improved under Ouimet.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Well if they can charge you more for a Disney Hotel room on a weekend, why not do it for the LL as well.

I think they should expand this dynamic pricing to charge more for cold drinks when it's above 85 degrees.

bob-chapek-robot_1-6081337-scaled.jpg

KBLovedDisney

I go a lot less. About 12% or so as much as I used to. And I haven’t stayed at a WDW resort in decades. Why do posters always assume the curmudgeons haven’t dramatically changed their behavior?
Haven't been back in 2 going on 3 years. That's a record for me!

Also, after keeping an eye on things...I most likely won't be going back anytime soon...or ever again.

Jrb1979

I'm mostly thinking of stuff like the TGI Fridays and Famous Dave's and Subway being there instead of something original, but it's been a decade. I would not be surprised if it all improved under Ouimet.
They added a Western themed Jungle cruise type ride this year. They have been doing a lot to make it more family oriented. I kind of wish more people would give it a chance.

MrPromey

There's some validity to both perspectives.

Earlier at least one person said they'd pay for Genie+ but cut the equivalent elsewhere so "Bob doesn't win". I mean, if you pay for Genie+ but buy two fewer churros per day, Disney is getting the same revenue (or more once inflation of prices is taken into account). By all means, do what you have to do to make a trip work for your budget, but nothing will change as long as people keep going.

While I completely agree it's reasonable to criticize aspects of Disney but still go due to what value is still provided, it just feels like most people are really really unwilling to put their money where their mouth is when it comes to displeasure with Disney.
Personally, I'd argue Bob is winning. The revenue may be the same but those churros, per unit, cost way more to make, store, transport and serve than the essentially free-at-scale Genie+ does.

So yeah people, protest by spending the same on stuff that costs Disney less. Maybe if enough people do that, Bob can shut that churro stand down as a cost saving measure and increase profit even more.

Last edited:

mightynine

It's why it's hard for me to understand the emotional attachment. I don't have that family attachment that a lot of you have for Disney either. The only thing in my life I can equate it to is how much I was blown away my first time visiting Cedar Point. Seeing that skyline of those massive steel coasters I was in awe.
Well, there you go. We’re coming at this from different angles and I understand yours. While I got my enjoyment of Disney from my mom, my dad has for years jokingly said, “Y’all know it’s the same mouse, right?”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom