Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

VaderTron

i bought 330 points (a 160 and a 170 contract) for $99 a point to BLT in 2018 and now its selling for $175........I am pretty happy with that! No market is returning that percentage over that same time frame and that doesnt include all of my trips!

While you cornered the market at the exact time, this would not have been a good investment had you bought in 2010/2011. The current resale price is the same as it was back then. When you add in the annual dues and closing costs at purchase, you would have paid tens of thousands of dollars over the past decade for something that has the same value 10 years later. In that scenario, the previous poster was correct. Not better than investing in stock market.

However, since you happened to buy at a good low point before the regain to 2010/2011 levels, my recommendation would be to sell. You currently have about a $15,000 profit margin even with annual dues and closing costs paid, (and of course your "free" vacations spent in DVC rooms). Even with capital gains tax you will probably walk away with a cool $13,000 in total profit (which, again, takes into account the money you already spent in transaction and maintenance fees.) That won't be the case forever. Looking historically, Disney hits plateaus after large gains over a few years which eats into the overall gains. And then, of course, things like pandemics cause loss in value.

EDIT: Of course, if you ever rented out DVC points this opens up a whole new can of worms in resale value, adding more complications than a Wookie wandering into a Trandoshan hunting camp. Call a tax professional and get ready to enjoy the "Magic" of figuring out what you owe.

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

So, I would have to reserve in order to reserve to indeed make sure I reserved that reservation of possibly getting closer to the front of the line and NOW would have to pay to do so. Yes, this means I wouldn't have to stand in a long line (maybe) for getting to ride Seven Dwarfs Mine Train if it doesn't break down...

This sounds more like a massive technological headache versus a vacation.

And for those of you ready to jump me on my opinion, Yes. I know I don't have to 'buy into' Genie+ and can wait in lines like before...

Disney: But you would be missing out on all of the NEAT things this app could give you! Itinerary help, planning your day, what restaurants have available seating, where is the nearest shop to where you could buy our NEWEST and LIMITED EDITION ear head bands, not including all of your favorites to celebrate the 50th of the MOST MAGICAL PLACE ON EARTH that is...

Me: SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP!!! I just want to enjoy a relaxing wonderful trip to Walt Disney World without planning when I need to go to the dang bathroom!

Disney: Oh! You can visit the WONDERFUL ENCHANTED Tangled bathrooms that are themed...

Me:
breaking bad shut up GIF

Jrb1979

So, I would have to reserve in order to reserve to indeed make sure I reserved that reservation of possibly getting closer to the front of the line and NOW would have to pay to do so. Yes, this means I wouldn't have to stand in a long line (maybe) for getting to ride Seven Dwarfs Mine Train if it doesn't break down...

This sounds more like a massive technological headache versus a vacation.

And for those of you ready to jump me on my opinion, Yes. I know I don't have to 'buy into' Genie+ and can wait in lines like before...

Disney: But you would be missing out on all of the NEAT things this app could give you! Itinerary help, planning your day, what restaurants have available seating, where is the nearest shop to where you could buy our NEWEST and LIMITED EDITION ear head bands, not including all of your favorites to celebrate the 50th of the MOST MAGICAL PLACE ON EARTH that is...

Me: SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP!!! I just want to enjoy a relaxing wonderful trip to Walt Disney World without planning when I need to go to the dang bathroom!

Disney: Oh! You can visit the WONDERFUL ENCHANTED Tangled bathrooms that are themed...

Me:
breaking bad shut up GIF
Did you ever use the refresh method of FP+? It's no more complicated then that. Instead of booking your FP ahead of time at home. You are doing it on your phone. The only difference is not picking your return time.

Virtual Toad

On the topic of “type-A” theme park touring and getting up early... we enjoyed the FP+ days during week-long on-property stays because we planned park trips over multiple evenings (3 nights at MK, 2 at AK, etc). Allowed us to sleep in, relax, enjoy the pool and laid back activities during the day, followed by enjoyable, moderate and stress-free touring at night because we didn’t have to plan anything on the fly.

Disney got more of our $ because we stayed on property for seven nights instead of 3 or 4. And we got what we perceived as additional value from our stay because theme park touring was a lot less stressful.

We’ve also done plenty of early mornings, which for us, as east-coasters, were most enjoyable at DL since we would stay on east coast time.

When our oldest son was just a wee little guy, we’d hit the parks at rope drop and keep a pretty robust schedule.

But here’s the rub— the thing I remember most fondly from his early trip to DL in 2007 wasn’t all the time we spent in the park. It was the quiet early-morning walks he and I shared along the hotel grounds while my wife got ready up in the room.

A peaceful, uncrowded atmosphere, a warm cup of coffee and irreplaceable time walking, conversing and bonding with my two and a half year old son. Years later, that’s the true “magical” memory I hold most dear.

I can’t imagine how I’d be able to have that memory if I’d had to have my face buried in my cellphone racing to line up attraction selections at 7am.

Cheers to those who like the new system, but looking back, I wouldn’t trade those early morning walks for anything.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Not sure if this was mentioned, the other site is saying that a WDW Rep states refunds will now be auto-issued if a ride shuts down for those individual LL purchases during their time slot.

Here's the article if you missed it -

Disney Analyst

JAB

Not sure if this was mentioned, the other site is saying that a WDW Rep states refunds will now be auto-issued if a ride shuts down for those individual LL purchases during their time slot.
From what I read, the auto-refunds only happen if the ride stays closed for the rest of the day. If the ride comes back up, and someone can't ride because the downtime resulted in a schedule conflict, it's on the guest to seek out Guest Relations for their recovery options.

Disney Analyst

From what I read, the auto-refunds only happen if the ride stays closed for the rest of the day. If the ride comes back up, and someone can't ride because the downtime resulted in a schedule conflict, it's on the guest to seek out Guest Relations for their recovery options.

Seems fair to me. If you cannot use that LL later in the day, go to GR and find a solution. If ride remains down, auto-refunds go out.

rkleinlein

Seems fair to me. If you cannot use that LL later in the day, go to GR and find a solution. If ride remains down, auto-refunds go out.
Why should anyone have to interrupt their day to go to guest relations to stand in yet another line with hundreds of other harried guests to get refunded for a service which was paid for but which Disney didn’t provide? Refunds should be automatic whether the ride is down all day or for one hour. Period.

Oh wait a minute: is there a pay Lightning Lane for guest relations?

Last edited:

Jeff4272

While you cornered the market at the exact time, this would not have been a good investment had you bought in 2010/2011. The current resale price is the same as it was back then. When you add in the annual dues and closing costs at purchase, you would have paid tens of thousands of dollars over the past decade for something that has the same value 10 years later. In that scenario, the previous poster was correct. Not better than investing in stock market.

However, since you happened to buy at a good low point before the regain to 2010/2011 levels, my recommendation would be to sell. You currently have about a $15,000 profit margin even with annual dues and closing costs paid, (and of course your "free" vacations spent in DVC rooms). Even with capital gains tax you will probably walk away with a cool $13,000 in total profit (which, again, takes into account the money you already spent in transaction and maintenance fees.) That won't be the case forever. Looking historically, Disney hits plateaus after large gains over a few years which eats into the overall gains. And then, of course, things like pandemics cause loss in value.

EDIT: Of course, if you ever rented out DVC points this opens up a whole new can of worms in resale value, adding more complications than a Wookie wandering into a Trandoshan hunting camp. Call a tax professional and get ready to enjoy the "Magic" of figuring out what you owe.
The thing that DVC has in its favor vs regular real estate/time share market is that it’s tied to the hotel market.
Disney hotel rooms go up in price at a higher rate than any other hotel I’ve ever been in.

while there is an expiration to your dvc contract, with BLT in 2060, the value and appreciation will be there for years to come. That’s why expiration date is so important.

Im not selling my BLT contracts and I’d be will to bet you a years worth of my points that 5 years from now the resale on BLT is WAY higher than it is right now, especially with inflation being early in the first inning.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The thing that DVC has in its favor vs regular real estate/time share market is that it’s tied to the hotel market.
Disney hotel rooms go up in price at a higher rate than any other hotel I’ve ever been in.

while there is an expiration to your dvc contract, with BLT in 2060, the value and appreciation will be there for years to come. That’s why expiration date is so important.

Im not selling my BLT contracts and I’d be will to bet you a years worth of my points that 5 years from now the resale on BLT is WAY higher than it is right now, especially with inflation being early in the first inning.
So you think a room at contemporary will be $2,200 in a few years?

thanks, Warren Buffett👍🏻

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom