Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

JMcMahonEsq

I was somewhat worried there would be pressure to increase ILL selections >2 per park. Based on the very limited out of gate data, I don't think that will be the case. I too see how there is a strange financial incentive for them not to go overboard with ILL, because most of the parks Genie+ lineup would be too anemic. Apart from the castle parks.

The optimistic side of me actually thinks the pressure might go the opposite way. There is little point in Everest, Space, Rat or MMRR remaining in the pool. Obviously SDD, Tron and Guardians are likely going to be swapped.

BUT I actually think there exists a tiny world where this system causes them to approve an expensive ride for AK. Strictly because there is financial incentive to get attractions that will sell consistently on ILL. Everest isn't going to sell. Kilimanjaro isn't going to sell. NRJ is a C-ticket.

I'd even argue that pressure will apply to Epcot too. I don't think it has a single attraction that really justifies ILL currently. Guardians *presumably* will be the first.

As it stands I think Epcot presents the worst value for Genie+. You are paying 15$ almost exclusively for Test Track and Soarin' right now. I don't think either of those are "7 dollar" attractions. I also really don't think as a result Disney can push the price to 20$, at least until Guardians opens.
It does create at least for now a new incentive/budget for developing new LL quality rides. You can budge in projected revenue of a high demand LL fee into your budget to offset costs of new construction. If it works out really well, when a new ride comes on line, maybe you increase the number of LL rides to 3 for a certain time, with the brand new ride having a higher demand premium LL cost, prior to phasing out the lower revenue generating presumably older LL ride. I would also argue any ride that has a boarding group model needs to have an even higher premium cost to its LL. For normal LL rides, you are just buying the benefit of not having to wait in line. For a boarding group ride, your buying yourself a guaranteed spot in the ride, as opposed to just a lotter chance.

mightynine

A week long trip next summer at the Contemporary with tickets and memory maker is $8,641.57. That does NOT include the dining plan as its not available yet, but lets just round that up and say with food your talking $10,000. That does not include transportation to Florida, as we live in NJ nor does it include souvenirs. So I am supposed to get all crazed if it increases my total vacation cost by less that 1% to guarantee I get on the ride I want, and not have to wait in line for it?
Nope.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

That is baffling and completely unacceptable. You give Disney money to ride at a guaranteed time, yet you are not guaranteed to be able to ride at that time, or even at all? I give this “no refund” policy 3 days.
Huh, I might have mentioned exactly this situation/problem before this started....Fascinating.

JakeAZ

The true test is when the pre-pandemic attendance is back. Genie wont deter folks from coming-but the very high resort prices may.
The very high resort prices in combination with the tweets of people showing the amounts the paid, while in the park, to ride certain rides. People will start to factor all these fees, you don't pay up front, into their budgeting.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1634756329173.png

So, I can sleep in, only waking temporarily at 7a and then again at 11a to grab my first two D+LLs; have a nice lunch at Disney Springs; then hit a park at 3 PM with 5 LL passes ready to go one right after another? [7 LLs ready to go if I buy the ILLs]

Um... Okay, I'm in!

el_super

The optimistic side of me actually thinks the pressure might go the opposite way. There is little point in Everest, Space, Rat or MMRR remaining in the pool. Obviously SDD, Tron and Guardians are likely going to be swapped.

BUT I actually think there exists a tiny world where this system causes them to approve an expensive ride for AK. Strictly because there is financial incentive to get attractions that will sell consistently on ILL. Everest isn't going to sell. Kilimanjaro isn't going to sell. NRJ is a C-ticket.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I think in general people are looking at this the wrong way still. You're buying the option of skipping the wait, not really buying the attraction experience itself. I know it seems hard to split the two, but there is a fundamental difference there.

Pragmatically, it makes sense to have ILL available for as many attractions as possible, because it offers another option, and everyone's circumstances may be different. It doesn't make sense to pay money to skip a 10 minute line for $7 today, but on other days, if Everest gets back up to 45 minutes, and someone has a lunch reservation or a flight to catch or what have you, for that person in that moment, it may absolutely make sense to spend the money. So it's in Disney's interest to offer the service there (of course assuming that the cost to operate any lightning lane is relatively minimal).

Attraction spending though is still being justified thru park admissions, and not the incremental revenue coming in from ILL. So I don't think they would build a ride thinking that they need to generate more ILL revenue, since that could come at the expense of actual park-admission revenue. You still build the big E-Tickets for everyone, and just find ways to manage crowds and balance the group that wants to pay nothing more to ride, versus the groups that don't mind paying money to skip the wait.

What does make sense, in a weird devilish sort of way, is maybe developing a "special" experience for people paying for Lightning Lane. Maybe, since they don't get the benefit of a full interactive queue, you give them a special pre-show experience that can only be seen if you pay the money to skip the main wait. Make that experience exciting enough, and people will pay just for the pre-show.

Buried20KLeague

I can almost guarantee, if someone said they are on their last day of their trip, and can't use the Gift Card, Disney/GR would likely refund the CC.

Probably.

But why not offer both as an option up front... Or better yet, if certain criteria are hit, make a refund button appear on the app and save any discussion with a Disney employee of any kind? That should be the more attractive approach to Disney anyway... Less manpower required. Automated system.

Patcheslee

View attachment 594735

So, I can sleep in, only waking temporarily at 7a and then again at 11a to grab my first two D+LLs; have a nice lunch at Disney Springs; then hit a park at 3 PM with 5 LL passes ready to go one right after another? [7 LLs ready to go if I buy the ILLs]

Um... Okay, I'm in!
Playing along at home version of HS with LL since I have to be at work early:
7am: Smugglers Run for 9:30am
9:32am Muppets for 9:40am cause I don't want to walk far yet.
9:59am ToT for 10:35am, in theory I will grab a breakfast snack on the way
10:52am RnR for 12:00pm
Another snack
12:02pm Slinky for 7:45pm
12:03pm no new Slinky time
12:05pm still no Slinky
12:15pm Go to Disney Junior (no Genie+ )because DD13 needs to wear out
1:15pm watch Mickey parade
1:30pm Walt Presents
2:04pm Frozen for 2:05pm *walk quickly across park*
2:18pm BatB for 3:40pm
3:00pm eat lunch

Notes from Neverland

View attachment 594735

Um... Okay, I'm in!
All dependent on availability, which I think it's far too early to know what availability will look like on average days. It might be slim pickings by the 1pm booking time.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Thinking they need to allow that 2 hour window to begin at 7am if you book your first at that time rather than 9am being the time that clock starts for everyone (or am I misunderstanding how it works)

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
View attachment 594735

Um... Okay, I'm in!
That would be nice if it were reality. I know it may be possible but is it likely those would be options like that?

Jeff4272

Its not 1%, Where are you getting this math?

it's 10-15% for us (depending on your family size)........

For my family of 5 with 7 park days the math is:

5 x $15 = $75 per day x 7 days = $525 for Genie+ for the 7 days

$15 for ROTR and $7 for MMRR (lets just round down to $20 for the sake of argument) is another $20 x 5 = $100 per day x 7 days = $700

So now thats $1,225 for my trip.......

Last I checked, $1,225 is 12.25% more than $10,000

If you dont mind paying up 12.25% for something you got FOR FREE for the last 10+ years then I got a bridge for sale you might want to look at

Last edited:

SplashJacket

Its not 1%, Where are you getting this math?

it's 10-12% for us (depending on your family size)........

For my family of 5 with 7 park days the math is:

5 x $15 = $75 per day x 7 days = $525 for Genie+ for the 7 days

$15 for ROTR and $7 for MMRR (lets just round down to $20 for the sake of argument) is another $20 x 5 = $100 per day x 7 days = $700

So now thats $1,225 for my trip.......

Last I checked, $1,225 is 12.25% more than $10,000

If you dont mind paying up 12.25% for something you got FOR FREE for the last 10+ years then I got a bridge for sale you might want to look at
Given that less people (especially passholders) will use Genie+ when compared to Fastpass, if you ignore the monetary aspect it is an upgrade.

So it’s not exactly accurate to say that you’re now being charged for something you previously got for free.

Jeff4272

Thinking they need to allow that 2 hour window to begin at 7am if you book your first at that time rather than 9am being the time that clock starts for everyone (or am I misunderstanding how it works)
It does begin at 7am.........

The second booking is either 2 hours after park opening (so if park doesnt open until 11am, second one is at 1pm unless you ride your first ride between 11am-1pm)

OR

after you check into your first ride, whatever comes first

nickys

Premium Member
They might not add any more but the parks will always have 2 and they will probably swap them between Genie + tier and ILLs based on demand, etc. I can see as soon as Christmas week them switching SDD and MMRR.
No reason each park will always have two. There is a very good argument for only having one at AK and Epcot.

Jeff4272

Given that less people (especially passholders) will use Genie+ when compared to Fastpass, if you ignore the monetary aspect it is an upgrade.

So it’s not exactly accurate to say that you’re now being charged for something you previously got for free.
I dont think i follow you.....If you dont use it (meaning pay for it), how can it be an upgrade?

what AP holders will use Genie+?

If an AP holder used to go once a week, the cost PER PERSON is now an additional $1,820 PER PERSON for Genie+ and 2 IAS per visit for the year.......

Now make it 2x per week for a family of 4 and the new cost would be $14,560 for your family of 4 (on top of the cost of each AP)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom