Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

drizgirl

You must have missed this...

It seems they kept the reservation open until the end of park hours in case the ride came back up.

If the ride doesn't come back up, you get an alternate goodie (e.g., a LL for MMRR).

If you go to CS, they'll refund you in the form of a Disney Gift Card, which, I agree, is absolutely worthless if one plans on never spending anything at Disney ever again, whether for food, merchandise, or future tickets, for the rest of one's life.
I did. Thank you.

But a gift card? Serious eye roll. And you have to wait in a line to get it. Lovely.

Trauma

having refunds as standard also opens you to all kinds of new abuse too. And we know how much the disney community loves to game systems to their advantage even if immoral
So Disney is now charging per person per ride to skip the line at specified time.

That ride becomes unavailable so you are not able to experience the product you just purchased.

You are not able to request a refund thru the same device you just made the purchase on.

Your reasoning is Disney needs to defend themselves from their immoral fan community?

Sounds like you have things reversed.

We need to defend ourselves against the immoral executives, who are looking to game their customers.

ImperfectPixie

Seems to me Disney should put a hold on the credit card for ILL purchases, then only charge at the end of the day. That way they can just cancel the charge rather than need to offer a refund. Assuming they would put in an easy "give me my money back because the ride was down" button.
There's a reason they want to give you a gift card...whatever you purchase with it costs them less than refunding your money.

Communicora

Premium Member
It sounds as though paid lightning lane will be a good incentive for Disney to stay on top of maintenance on these attractions. Downtime is a headache even if they try to avail themselves of options besides refunds.

pdude81

I'm not worried about them issuing a gift card credit of some kind, but if they are going to do this they need to start taking gift cards in the app for purchasing passes in the first place and some sort of credit balance in our accounts we can draw down from.

Honestly if I'm able to use that pass for something else I'll probably go that route as I'd just gum up Slinky or MFSR which I otherwise couldn't pay a direct skip for. But nobody should have to wait in line to convert this into a credit. I think what they are doing for now is fine and that they will figure this out quickly as it wastes a lot of time and plastic for Guest Relations also.

Communicora

Premium Member
I'm not worried about them issuing a gift card credit of some kind, but if they are going to do this they need to start taking gift cards in the app for purchasing passes in the first place and some sort of credit balance in our accounts we can draw down from.

Honestly if I'm able to use that pass for something else I'll probably go that route as I'd just gum up Slinky or MFSR which I otherwise couldn't pay a direct skip for. But nobody should have to wait in line to convert this into a credit. I think what they are doing for now is fine and that they will figure this out quickly as it wastes a lot of time and plastic for Guest Relations also.
A video podcast I was watching yesterday said that Disney told them they are taking gift cards in the app for purchases like lightning lane. I wonder if someone can verify that.

ImperfectPixie

It's a slick way of giving you back less than you paid. It would be one thing if they offered to credit the card the fee was charged to OR a gift card, but limiting refunds to gift cards should be illegal, IMO.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Trauma

Disney is the one who is trying to monetize every minute of every day.

If you have to walk to guest relations and stand In line for a refund that is not acceptable.

Doing the math from my last trip it looks like each minute of park time cost me $1.58. That’s before genie.

So if I have to walk 12 minutes to guest services and wait in a 18 minute line to get my iLL refund, I would expect $48 in additional compensation for my time wasted.

JMcMahonEsq

Wait a minute. Is this for real? If you pay for the attraction and it goes down, no refunds? Like, at all, regardless of whether it opens again? Regardless of whether you paid for a dessert party in another park that night? You should just hang out all day seeing if it reopens?

I know the word initially was no refunds. But I figured that was for a change of mind. Not a ride outage.
This isn't that much of a stretch. If I remember correctly if you were staying on club level, and you paid to get extra fast pass selections, if your ride went down, that fast pass was converted to a open fast pass, any ride any time, you didn't get a refund.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Seems to me Disney should put a hold on the credit card for ILL purchases, then only charge at the end of the day. That way they can just cancel the charge rather than need to offer a refund. Assuming they would put in an easy "give me my money back because the ride was down" button.
The vendor is charged a fee for each credit card transaction. I would imagine Disney would want to minimize a fee for a hold, then a fee for either a charge or a charge-back. Otherwise, they'd have to pass on the cost to customers, and the cost of each ILL would go up to make up for it.

Disney should set up on MDE a 'wallet' that they can dump "Disney money" into from these types of refunds, like the points from using a Disney credit card, or the $5/day you get when you decline Mousekeeping (for when such initiatives are in affect). That way, the 'money' can be spent for anything Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom