Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why should you have to “put in the time” to get reimbursed for a service the company couldn’t provide? If the ride goes down, it should be just as easy to get your money back as it was to book the ILL in the first place. If Disney wants to also offer other options, like an any-time pass, great! But there is no excuse for refusing a refund, or making you hunt one down.

Disney will give automatic recovery options - if those options don't work for you, then you need to goto GR.

none of this is new

CJR

Which would probably make Disney very happy, as they could then potentially cut expenses in merch and dining while pocketing pure profit.

I think they really want both. I'd also bet that this system wasn't cheap to develop, given it's been coming for several years, and will require maintenance and updates. It'll be easy to profit from, but so are the balloons.

DisneyDodo

So I was here today. I went to Animal Kingdom. I did not buy any of this and I certainly felt like I didn’t need it. I’m sure folks at Hollywood Studios may have felt differently but I see zero value in Genie+ at AK or the ILL for Everest. I could maybe see it for FoP if the wait is over 2 hours. But I got to the park a little after 8 and only had a 50 minute wait. I’d assume if you want to ride FoP just try not to ride in the middle of the day and you shouldn’t have a bad wait.
When I go in December, KRR will be under refurbishment. With FoP and EE using ILL and TS not eligible for LL, that will leave a grand total of 3 rides (plus a handful of non-ride attractions) for G+ in AK — KS, Dinosaur, and NRJ. With no rerides allowed, that means a maximum of 3 LLs for rides with G+.

If I wasn’t getting a park-hopper, I can’t imagine I would pay for G+ on an AK day.

FantasiaMickey2000

When I go in December, KRR will be under refurbishment. With FoP and EE using ILL and TS not eligible for LL, that will leave a grand total of 3 rides (plus a handful of non-ride attractions) for G+ in AK — KS, Dinosaur, and NRJ. With no rerides allowed, that means a maximum of 3 LLs for rides with G+.

If I wasn’t getting a park-hopper, I can’t imagine I would pay for G+ on an AK day.
Yup, park hopper is the only thing saving any value here. I’d argue the same about Epcot to be honest.

UNCgolf

Indeed. If re-rides were allowed, I'd get it because I'd happily ride the Safari several times. I'd be okay with riding NRJ several times too for little or no wait. But for only one ride? Doesn't seem worth it.

Jrb1979

So I was here today. I went to Animal Kingdom. I did not buy any of this and I certainly felt like I didn’t need it. I’m sure folks at Hollywood Studios may have felt differently but I see zero value in Genie+ at AK or the ILL for Everest. I could maybe see it for FoP if the wait is over 2 hours. But I got to the park a little after 8 and only had a 50 minute wait. I’d assume if you want to ride FoP just try not to ride in the middle of the day and you shouldn’t have a bad wait.
50 minutes is too long of a wait for me. I would buy Genie+ regardless. $15 is nothing

Jeff4272

Yup, park hopper is the only thing saving any value here. I’d argue the same about Epcot to be honest.
This is why I think genie+ will be a big flop.

no need to buy in at least 2 parks

And the other 2 no need of crowds were like today.

IAS, I’d buy. But even the demand for those rides will dissipate. Disney is going to need a GOG, Tron, ROTR every 2 years in each park to keep that revenue stream up.

DisneyDodo

Disney will give automatic recovery options - if those options don't work for you, then you need to goto GR.

none of this is new
Firstly, ILL launched today, so this is new. Previously, Disney did not offer the option to book a specific attraction for a fee, at least not for several decades.

Secondly, just because a policy is old, doesn’t mean it’s not bad. If Disney can make it so easy for you to give them your money for a service, they should make it just as easy for you to get it back if they can’t provide the service. You’re literally paying money to save time — it defeats the purpose of the refund if you have to expend substantial time retrieving it.

homerdance

none of this is new
Yeah, having to pay for a specific ride and being given a return time is brand new. The existing recovery options aren’t likely to work. I think this is just another middle finger to the guest that you can’t get a refund, for any reason.

FantasiaMickey2000

IAS, I’d buy. But even the demand for those rides will dissipate. Disney is going to need a GOG, Tron, ROTR every 2 years in each park to keep that revenue stream up.
I feel like they have to build something new at Animal Kingdom. They push so many guests through Everest I feel bad for anyone who bought an ILL for it having never been here before. The line is almost never more than a half hour. I feel like they are going to really struggle selling it. Might be a better move to put it in Genie+ to try and get more buys there.

Jrb1979

I don't think it will flop at all. I think a lot of first timers will buy it everyday on their trip.

RoadiJeff

To keep the cost of Genie+ in perspective, last week I spent 3 days at WDW and 2 days at Universal. A Universal basic Express Pass (can only be used one time per ride) cost me slightly over $170 with tax. That's a pass for one day for one park, not including the $132 cost for park admission. I used it on 7 rides, meaning a cost of close to $25 per ride to skip the standby lines.

Jeff4272

I feel like they have to build something new at Animal Kingdom. They push so many guests through Everest I feel bad for anyone who bought an ILL for it having never been here before. The line is almost never more than a half hour. I feel like they are going to really struggle selling it. Might be a better move to put it in Genie+ to try and get more buys there.
Dinoland is primed for their next big development on Lion King or crood land/ride etc. or maybe they get partnership a d do dr Doolittle land. Ha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom