Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

lazyboy97o

What do you mean by acknowledging the butterfly effect? What specific effect do you want people to acknowledge?

It sounds as though you’re saying it’s okay for someone to choose what products to buy as long as that person acknowledges that his decisions are detrimental to others. In other words, it’s okay to vacation the way you want as long as you feel bad about it. No thanks, I’m good.
Do you think most people used FastPass+ to go somewhere completely different?

dreday3

It certainly provided them with the freedom to do so. We love the variety of experiences that WDW provides, and FP+ worked beautifully for us - so we used it.

Hey! Have an awesome trip!!!

If you guys hear Styx being sung off-key in the distance, say hi! 😂

LittleBuford

Simply acknowledge the butterfly effect instead of try to bail out of every corner with "well it works for me... bye".

I mean, we're not talking about people invading trip reports and challenging what people did or felt... we're here talking about business strategies, product strategy, the market itself, and how it plays out for WDW.

If people are only concerned with THEIR impression of things - why engage in a discussion about the whole in the first place?
Aren’t the dollars you give to Disney also contributing to the problem as you see it? If not, why not?

Rich Brownn

Uhhh…. What….I rode Rise this last Wednesday night it was a posted 45 minutes and we got on in about 30….but I saw nothing even close to a 215 minute wait
Monday night at 8:00p.... we figured we'd be out after 10.... to make matters even more interesting not only was it 40 minutes, but (despite having gone down 3 times that day) our backup group for Rat got called while we were in line. Since we got out at 8:40 we did the most insane dash I've ever done from RISE to skyrides, to EPCOT ... and made it with literally 1 minute to spare

Virtual Toad

Complaining doesn't offset one's financial contribution, and I daresay that some of the least satisfied posters here continue to spend far more time and money at WDW than I do.
We had an awesome time staying at the Wilderness Lodge for our 25th anniversary last weekend. Spent part of our honeymoon there a quarter century ago so it was a very special trip for us (even with the kids in tow!) Would have normally purchased Annual Passes during our stay, but reservations and Genie+ were non starters so Disney actually left some profits on the table in our case. No parks, just two days relaxing at the resort. A very rare trip now due to cut-throat pricing.

In days gone by, we’d be wrapping up another spectacular night at the MK right about now. Instead we’re enjoying the slice of Disney magic we’ve built for ourselves in our own backyard. And so it goes....

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Is there any evidence that adding attractions decreases crowds?

How could they not? Mathematically it would only be possible for them to increase crowds if they also increased attendance above the added capacity. That doesn't appear to have happened with Galaxy's Edge, and it's unlikely they're going to add a bigger draw than that anytime soon.

At this point in the WDW lifespan, it seems like added attractions simply shift demand rather than actually increasing crowds. It might be hard to ride the new attraction for a while if you don't want to wait in a long line, but it also means the other lines in the park get shorter.

lazyboy97o

It certainly provided them with the freedom to do so. We love the variety of experiences that WDW provides, and FP+ worked beautifully for us - so we used it.
There it is. The question was about general usage, not your specific usage and preferences. The freedom you found wasn’t uniform and only existed because so many others didn’t act likewise. If everyone else at your resort also decided to stay back and swim at the pool that would not have been as pleasant an experience because the pools would be crowded. It worked for you because of your specific preferences and because you found an edge case that you liked.

Virtual queues effect others by enabling the users to effectively be in multiple places and contribute to crowding. You’re not a bad person for using a virtual queue, especially when not doing so does have a [intentional] negative impact on you’re experience, but you can still acknowledge that the issue exists and that it can be problematic (again, see Volcano Bay).

lazyboy97o

How could they not? Mathematically it would only be possible for them to increase crowds if they also increased attendance at or above the added capacity.
The big problem with focusing so much on crowding is that it is so relative and shaped by other capacities and design decisions. Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure isn’t likely helping ease much crowding despite being new capacity because it is using Boarding Groups so all of the people “in line” are still in the rest of the park. There are other issues such as just the design of a park, retail capacity and dining capacity. Impact is also going to be lessened by a greater existing deficiency. Attraction capacity is the big focus metric and the big basis for park capacity, but even if every ride was a low wait you’d probably still feel crowded if the walkways were narrow and there was not enough dining capacity. We started to see some of that in play this past year as attendance picked up but many non-ride venues remained closed; actual attendance was low but the parks started to feel more crowded.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

How could they not? Mathematically it would only be possible for them to increase crowds if they also increased attendance above the added capacity. That doesn't appear to have happened with Galaxy's Edge, and it's unlikely they're going to add a bigger draw than that anytime soon.
I agree with your logic, but I can’t recall a single instance in which it was claimed that the parks felt less crowded after the opening of something new, whether an attraction or a land. Can you think of any such cases?

LittleBuford

We had an awesome time staying at the Wilderness Lodge for our 25th anniversary last weekend. Spent part of our honeymoon there a quarter century ago so it was a very special trip for us (even with the kids in tow!) Would have normally purchased Annual Passes during our stay, but reservations and Genie+ were non starters so Disney actually left some profits on the table in our case. No parks, just two days relaxing at the resort. A very rare trip now due to cut-throat pricing.

In days gone by, we’d be wrapping up another spectacular night at the MK right about now. Instead we’re enjoying the slice of Disney magic we’ve built for ourselves in our own backyard. And so it goes....

View attachment 593983
I’m not sure how that contradicts my point. You still gave Disney a fair bit of money—and perhaps more than I do during my short stays, which are always off-site.

Happy Anniversary, by the way!

Chi84

Premium Member
There it is. The question was about general usage, not your specific usage and preferences. The freedom you found wasn’t uniform and only existed because so many others didn’t act likewise. If everyone else at your resort also decided to stay back and swim at the pool that would not have been as pleasant an experience because the pools would be crowded. It worked for you because of your specific preferences and because you found an edge case that you liked.

Virtual queues effect others by enabling the users to effectively be in multiple places and contribute to crowding. You’re not a bad person for using a virtual queue, especially when not doing so does have a [intentional] negative impact on you’re experience, but you can still acknowledge that the issue exists and that it can be problematic (again, see Volcano Bay).
But what’s the point if you’re not asking people to change their behavior?

Disney is what it is these days, and nothing short of the free market is going to change it. My standing in a 95-minute line to ride RotR is not going to bring Disney to its knees, and my acknowledging (while purchasing it) that Genie+ is detrimental to someone else’s experience is even more ineffectual.

People consider a lot of factors when planning their WDW vacations. I suspect the butterfly effect of their Boo Bash purchase is not one of them. I’m not sure what it is you’re trying to achieve here.

At any rate, this is going in circles so we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

Animaniac93-98

It worked for you because of your specific preferences and because you found an edge case that you liked.

It's clear many on this site and elsewhere online take great pride in being "Disney Vacation Experts" who will pay and do whatever in order to go to WDW and not think much beyond that.

Given how many tens of thousands of people visit WDW every day, it should be obvious that not everyone will know every expert tip and ultimately that shapes the park experience for everyone, whether or not these Experts realize it.

You wouldn't need so many "tricks" or extra-pay options if the baseline experience had decent staffing and sufficient capacity. Genie+ is a distraction from this problem that the Experts are excited about because it's another game for them to play and they have been conditioned for years now to have several layers of planning (and fees) as part of their vacation.

Jrb1979

This is what I’m wondering too. I think we’re being asked not to pay for things that supposedly disadvantage other guests (Genie+, Boo Bash, etc.). Continuing to give money to Disney appears to be fine, however.
I know what some are trying to get at. By guests paying for there extra things like Genie+ and Boo Bash that's saying to Disney that it's ok to charge for things that used to be free. Or in the case of Boo Bash charge more for a lesser event. Same could be said about the extra entertainment, people are still going without that so Disney says why bring it back.

Chi84

Premium Member
This is what I’m wondering too. I think we’re being asked not to pay for things that supposedly disadvantage other guests (Genie+, Boo Bash, etc.). Continuing to give money to Disney appears to be fine, however.
Buying tickets for what some posters believe is a vastly inferior product encourages Disney to keep increasing prices, doesn’t it? Seems people are picking and choosing based on their own personal preferences. People who have no issues with standing in long lines clearly believe this is the way to go.

LittleBuford

It's clear many on this site and elsewhere online take great pride in being "Disney Vacation Experts" who will pay and do whatever in order to go to WDW and not think much beyond that.

Given how many tens of thousands of people visit WDW every day, it should be obvious that not everyone will know every expert tip and ultimately that shapes the park experience for everyone, whether or not these Experts realize it.

You wouldn't need so many "tricks" or extra-pay options if the baseline experience had decent staffing and sufficient capacity. Genie+ is a distraction from this problem that the Experts are excepted about because it's another game for them to play and they have been conditioned for years now to have several layers of planning (and fees) as part of their vacation.
Could you explain the ways in which you have striven to be a more considerate guest than those you term “Disney Vacation Experts”? Do you deliberately refrain from using FP-style systems? What specifically have you done to promote a more equitable experience for everyone else?

I would welcome answers from others who feel the way you do.

Chi84

Premium Member
I know what some are trying to get at. By guests paying for there extra things like Genie+ and Boo Bash that's saying to Disney that it's ok to charge for things that used to be free. Or in the case of Boo Bash charge more for a lesser event. Same could be said about the extra entertainment, people are still going without that so Disney says why bring it back.
I absolutely agree. People who think this way should vote with their wallets. If they believe Genie+ is a detriment, they shouldn’t buy it. When enough people agree and stop paying Disney, Disney will be forced to change. There’s no sense in telling other people what they should or shouldn’t pay for. Everyone makes their own decision and Disney responds accordingly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom